“Wow”

Add it.
Sushi Wazen
Ranked #50 of 305 Restaurants in Lake Forest
Reviewed November 7, 2017 via mobile

Was just expecting something quick and simple. This place was a ten! So fresh! Amazing sashimi!

Date of visit: November 2017

Reviewed March 11, 2017 via mobile

We visited here for the first time tonight and will be back. The fish was fresh and specials were excellent. We loved the seared salmon. YUM

Date of visit: March 2017
Reviewed August 22, 2016

This is easily the best sushi place I've been to in Lake Forest, the service is great and the chef friendly. We have always found the fish to be fresh and we love the rib eye. We go here about every 3-4 weeks, to the point where the waitresses know what we are going to order. In fact I might go tonight!

Date of visit: August 2016
Reviewed February 9, 2016

It's in a strip mall and doesn't look like much from the outside, but come on in! My husband and I tried Wazen while staying at a local hotel. It was very crowded on a Thursday night, with what looked to be regular customers. I think this is likely a local gem.

We sat at the bar and had several rolls- all delicious. The quality is excellent. The sushi chef chatted with us and our server was very friendly. We were welcomed like locals. I wish Wazen was closer to our home!

The price was good too- we were stuffed on forty dollars.

Date of visit: February 2016
Reviewed December 2, 2014

I've hesitated writing about this place on TripAdvisor, because I was afraid too many people will find it. But since this is our favorite local restaurant, and I depend on TA reviews when I'm in other places, I feel obligated to "share."
Food first: We love this place for the raw fish. Hands down our favorite from the many sushi places we've tried. {"Sushi" is our favorite cuisine.} My husband always gets the sashimi dinner. Never bad. Fish is very, very tasty. He actually mumbles "MMMhh" after the first bite. The fish is different every time. Comes with a house salad that has a unique creamy dressing - not that typical citrus dressing. Also there is delicious miso soup and a choice of white or "Japanese" rice (which has some vegetables in it or something - we like it). I almost always get the chicken teriyaki combo dinner - sauce on the side - which also comes with the soup, salad and choice or rice. The chicken is moist and a generous size - I think it is grilled white meat. I like it. On the side, I get the poke salad, which costs a little more but is so delicious - and it isn't drenched in sauce.
I don't do the chef justice by not describing other things offered, but seriously, we get the same thing almost all the time. Last time I ventured out of my comfort zone to try the Chilean sea bass which was fine, but when I get the chicken combo for so less money, I wonder why I strayed.
Location: This restaurant is extremely difficult to find from the main road - is in a strip mall where some of the neighboring stores change, go out of business, etc. We're so thankful this place has stayed in business. The self-standing Mimi's Cafe Restaurant sort of hides Sushi Wazen from the main road. It is a very small restaurant. Has a few tables, and of course a sushi bar.
Service: We've been coming here so long, and we have the same waitress most of the time. We like the wait staff. They serve us the food as it becomes available - so what? I don't know why some people make a big deal about the service here on other websites like yelp. We tend to go right when it opens for dinner, so it isn't as crowded. When it's crowded, it takes more time. I would not come here if we were in a time crunch to get somewhere.
Atmosphere: Simple. Not fancy. Is not a rowdy place. Chefs always welcome you and say goodbye. TV screen is usually on with some sports game. Simple music usually in the background. All sorts of customers - old, young, families, single people, couples, etc.
Liked Best: The food. And it is affordably priced for what you get.
Like Least: Nothing - my fear, as I said, is that so many people will find this place and we won't be able to get a seat next time!

Date of visit: November 2014