“Love this place”
Review of Mallard House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lakeport
Mallard House
Ranked #4 of 8 Lakeport B&B and Inns
McFarland, Wisconsin, United States
“Love this place”
Reviewed 9 May 2012

Wife and I have stayed here a lot over the past 8 years or so. This time we spent the entire month of April. Our cabin had plenty of room, full kitchen, cable TV, WIFI, and everything we needed for a long term fishing and golf vacation. Lilly was incredibly attentive throughout our stay to making sure everything was ok. She really cares.

Comfortable beds, clean linens, great location within walking distance to restaurants, shops, and major chain grocery store and pharmacy. Being on the lake makes it great to keep your boat in the water at their docks or launch it less than a half mile away at the public launch in downtown Lakeport. A great getaway place on a fantastic fishery but you'll enjoy your stay at Mallard House even if you just want to sit by the lake, relax, and enjoy the view.

Room Tip: We have never been disappointed and have stayed in most of the cabins at one time or another. Depend...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Eureka, California
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I stayed two nights at the Mallard House in Lakeport and the woman at the desk (also the owner?) named Lily was absolutely terrific! She seemed to really care about her guests and she went out of her way to let us find a room suited to our needs. Those are details that become important when you're travelling, tired, hungry, lost etc. It was like going home. On the other hand (and unfortunately) the property needs thousands of dollars of repairs and is pretty run down and patched together. The shower stall had grout missing and the walls had been covered with some plastic wallboard material and just screwed on over the original tile walls. The sink had been incorrectly installed and the whole thing sagged alarmingly and well as the odd placement, in the corner of the bedroom. Our room faced the street and was too noisy for me to sleep well - I would definitely pick one of the rooms towards the back of the property. The coffee pot was stacked on the top of the microwave which was on a dresser and if was really hard to make coffee without pouring water all over the place. The rug seemed ucky - like you wouldn't want to walk on it barefooted. And the sheets and pillowcases hadn't been rinsed enough - the bleach was an irritant to my skin.
The elevated dock on the property that juts out over Clearlake is really wonderful. We enjoyed the sunsets from this great vantage point.

Room Tip: Rooms towards the lake are quieter.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank candida6752
Mariposa, California, United States
Reviewed 8 March 2012

The Mallard House is great, would be especially great for boaters, although I don't have a boat. I have stayed here numerous times, have my favorite cabin. I would have written a review before, but didn't know I was supposed to. I was disappointed to hear someone complaining about car noise - I always stay on the street side, and have never had a problem. There's not that much traffic in Lakeport anyway. Rooms are all clean, varying sizes and prices, well worth the money, and, I think, a great location. The are outfitted with kitchens, so you can save money on food. Lilly is wonderful, as are Clyde and Christopher. Only thing wrong is Christopher is so tall, which makes me feel old. I would never stay anywhere else.

P.S. The beds are comfortable and there's DSL.

Room Tip: Decide how much time you will spend in the room vs how much you want to spend. I spend more time tha...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
San Jose, CA
Reviewed 27 July 2011

We've been staying at the Mallard House for a few years now, mainly over the 4th of July. Lily is always friendly and remembers us by name. The rooms have everything that we need including a small kitchen with a full sized refrigerator. The Safeway grocery store is a couple of miles away, so we can buy what we need and use the propane or charcoal grill that is available to the guests. We always end up eating outside and enjoying the view of the lake and warm weather. The 4th of July fireworks were superb and we are always surprised at the amazing show for such a little town. Looking forward to going back!

I noticed some reviews discuss the lake and the friendliness of the staff. It is a warm water lake, so it won't be crystal clear like Tahoe, but you can swim in it for as long as you want without turning blue. I do recommend taking the boat out a little ways from the shore before getting in. As far as Lily, our experience with her has always been terrific. She has gone out of her way to give us extras if needed, even giving us spoons from her own kitchen.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Berkeley, California
Reviewed 9 July 2011

We didn't want to spend a lot on fancy hotel, so we chose this cottage style inn for a very reasonable price. I didn't see many pictures on their website so I was kinda worried.., but when we arrived we found everything's just great:) The room is clean and tidy, and the location is perfect. We booked a kitchenette which was very convenient, even though it's not big everything you need is there...They also have barbecue areas on the lawn by the lake...
The owner of the inn is a very nice lady who's very warmhearted and talkative.Before we left we had some fruit that we couldn't finish and she gave us two lunch boxes so that we could take it with us on the road:)
Anyway, we enjoyed the stay there quite a lot and if the owner saw this review here's my recommendation: take more beautiful pictures of your inn and put it on your website! (the pictures on your website now are just too small!)

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Liyun
San Jose, California
Reviewed 5 July 2011

Rooms are clean, comfortable and well equiped. The owners are very nice and easy to work with. Prices are more than fair. We'll be visiting later in the summer...can't wait!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Nivamp
Petaluma, California
Reviewed 2 July 2011

My husband & I visit the Inn to just relax and enjoy peace & quiet several times a year and have done so for the past 9 years. We've stayed in most of the rooms, with or without kitchen, and the rooms are always super clean w/comfy beds, treats on your pillow, coffee maker, microwave and good kitchen amenities.

The owners, Clyde & Lily and their son Christopher treat you like family, are courteous and go out of their way to accomodate your needs. We always go whenever my Mom is in town and once Clyde & Christopher took us for a boat ride and delivered us to our dining destination (think it's called Lakeside Bistro - great food and views of the lake and park); we then enjoyed a lovely walk down Main St and back to the Inn.
I was indignant and bewildered when I read a recent review and was going to make a scathing retort but decided some people are never happy, never satisfied - their loss- and not worth my time & energy.
I highly recommend The Mallard Housed and have referred friends & family over the years - they've all become return guests.
Try it! You'll love it!!
Flozelle
Petaluma CA

Room Tip: Just talk to the owners, they go all out for you!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Flozelle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lakeport
0.0 km away
0.1 km away
Rodeway Inn & Suites
Rodeway Inn & Suites
#2 of 7 in Lakeport

Been to Mallard House? Share your experiences!