“Racist Waitress”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner
Reviewed January 26, 2018

I went to this restaurant in January 2018 with a friend of my from China. I am from Europe myself. As this was the only restaurant open in out-of-season we gave a try. I also liked the enterior, it really looks like you stepped back in time.
We went there for Dinner and an old, blonde waitress was on duty. She is about 60-70 years old, with a worn out face and massive negativity. We speak rather ok english, we never had a problem communicating wherever we travel (Australia, China, South Africa, UkK even other parts of the US).

As soon as we entered, this grandma started to make comments on our accents, like commenting loudly that “i can see your eyebrow moving but i dont understand a word you are saying” or turning to me when my friend is talking like “i have no clue what she is saying”. I fully understand that she is most likely the only employee this restaurant can employ in that town, i can also get her frustration with foreigners -most likely she never left the town- but please...if you want to look better train your employees for a minimum level of customer service.

The food and the other male waiter (maybe owner?) who was in the early morning shift was good though. Also I liked the furnishing - thats why the two stars instead of 1.

Reviewed December 29, 2017

I had the chicken tostada which was fresh, and the chicken was prepared in the back--not just frozen chicken. There was plenty of high-quality chicken meat--no fibrous material, and very tender. I was surprised, as this was probably one of the best chicken tostadas I've had. Wait staff was very courteous, came by the check on our needs at appropriate times and refilled drinks promptly. This is the only sit-down restaurant that is open all year (although note that they close on certain days).

1  Thank NationalParkVisitor
Reviewed November 23, 2017

As we stepped into this place for a late lunch, it felt like we stept a few decades back in time.
This is a diner as you saw them in the movies, cubicles along one the walls and windows and tables in the middle. An assortment of condiments on the tables...
The menu is quite extensive and has all the American classics; burgers fries, chicken and everything else.
Service was pleasant and fast and the food was as could be expected, honest, straightforward, short order fare.
If you are travelling around these parts, we were on our way from Yosemite to Bodie (ghost town), definitely stop here, it's great.
Prices are very reasonable.

Reviewed November 10, 2017 via mobile

Food was average, one of the few options in the otherwise sparse town of Lee Vining. Large portion sizes. Standard diner fare.

Reviewed November 3, 2017

We stopped here for lunch as we left Yosemite National Park on a recent weekday afternoon. As it was already getting past the lunch hour, we didn’t want to wait until we got to Bishop, so looked for something in this tiny town and Nicely’s was the only place that appeared to be open, so we gave it a try. Very happy we did. It was crowded but the service was pretty god. This is a throwback diner and a good one. Lots of options on the menu. I had a cheeseburger which was very good but the real winner was the plate special that day: a turkey dinner with all the trimmings. My wife ordered this and I ate part of it. This was the best turkey I have had in a very long time; I wish I could make it as flavorful and moist at home. Lots of homemade desserts on the menu too. Really happy with this place.

1  Thank gypsyuno