“Nice Business Hotel. Needs Renovation Soon”

The Westin Long Beach
Ranked #10 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Reviewed 25 April 2010

A Typical Business/Convention Hotel located a block away from Long Beach Performing Art Center and Metro Station.

Location: As described above, its convenient even if you are not driving (proximity to the LA metro, if you do rely on LA's public transportation system).

Exterior: Fan Shaped, give the room facing the ocean excellent unobstructed view towards the harbor, other rooms have the view of the city.

Lobby: Very grand with 3 stories tall atrium gives plenty of sunlight in the lobby during the morning hours. Complimentary WiFi in the lobby area.

Check-in: Very fast since there were no line. Staffs were efficient. Some were very nice and trying to help yet others were just trying to finish their shift, the staff's quality varies a lot during my stay.

Room: The room itself started to show wear and tear (The hotel was renovated 4 to 5 years ago). The decor is not as modern as you would expect at a Westin Hotel but still the Heavenly Bed is always Heavenly. Its still very clean and comfortable.

The room I got was actually one of their bi-level suite. The view was awesome. top floor with the 2 floors tall window. The room itself break into wet bar, guest bathroom, dining room for 6, and living room with Bose sound system (first floor). On the second floor, there are two offices, bedroom, and a master bathroom with dual sinks and a jacuzzi tub/shower combo. Its definitely big enough to host a big party in this room.

Fitness Center: Located on the 5th floor with cardio and weight equipments. There's also a sauna , jacuzzi and swimming pool. Many people were sunbathing during my stay.

Parking: $15 with in & out privileges

Overall: Nice business hotel. I wouldn't recommend people to stay here if they want to sight see LA but its definitely nice for business travelers.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank Doraemon79
Write a ReviewReviews (1,281)

Reviewed 18 April 2010

I wouldn't say this is the most fabulous hotel I've ever stayed in, but it certainly served it's purpose.
The location of the hotel is very central, right across from the Performing Arts Center and just a short walk from the Convention Center.
The restaurant was quite boring and the pool area only so-so. The service was good, however they did not inform me of a note that had been delivered to me until I checked out.
If you are staying here on business, it's fine. Travelling with a family, I'd recommend the Hilton down the street, great view and great pool.
Overall, good...but not great!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2010

I was quite shocked to see the surrounding area of the Westin upon my arrival along Long Beach Blvd. It reminds me of a deserted ghost town and doesn't feel too safe. The lobby area was nice but the room was just okay. The carpets were stained and there is no fan in the bathroom which causes the windows to get foggy. There was inadequate lighting in the room and in the bathroom. The first time I used the shower the second shower head wouldn' work so the water pooled in the tub while I was showering. The sink never looked like it was cleaned very well and a wine glass sat in the hallway for the duration of our stay which was 4 nights too many. Some of the furniture like the dresser and headboard looks updated but the chair and small table looks dated. The bed was comfortable but the top quilt looked unclean. We checked out the swimming pool one morning but didn't stay as it was littered with the previous days towels and was very untidy and unappealing. We went for drinks in the lobby and there wasn't even music playing and only a small group of conference travellers as this hotel seems to cater mostly to business travellers. Luckily we rented a car and spent each day travelling (about 1 hour each way) to visit Laguna Beach (which I would highly recommend) and Disneyland as there is not much to do in Long Beach and isn't very attractive as it is a shipping port, looks very industrial and lacks any personality or charm. We basically used the hotel as a place to sleep only. I would not stay at this hotel or Long Beach area again and if I return to L.A. area again I would check out the Laguna Beach Best Western or Huntington Beach Best Western as they both looked attractive from the outside.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 March 2010

I usually enjoy Westin hotels but this one was just average. The bed was comfortable, the carpet was stained , we had to request coffee supplies and I was upset that they charge for wireless internet service in the rooms. Wireless internet is now included in most moderate hotel rates, and it should be included in a hotel in this category. I will look for another hotel next time I am in Long Beach.

Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 March 2010

We booked our room on Hotwire and stayed at the Westin Long Beach on 2 nights, but a week apart. We stayed on the night our plane flew in to Long Beach Airport, and also the night before we flew back out to Michigan, so we had two rooms and two similar experiences, which is why I feel comfortable leaving this negative of a review.

Upon check-in on both nights the valets were not in attendance. Don't ask me what was going on but I ended up grabbing the cart myself and loading it up. We checked in pretty late the first night, around 10pm so maybe they were on break. Anyway, my husband tried to get a cart the next morning and they gave him a hard time about it (which ticked him off).

In the past we've stayed in Westin's and they were all top-notch. I believe this hotel has recently undergone renovation but I'm really only seeing that in the main areas, not the rooms. The furniture does looked tattered and the room was not very clean.

My main problem with both rooms we stayed in was the air conditioning. Both rooms were very hot and the air did not blow out of the vents. In the morning the rooms windows were completely fogged w/ condensation because the rooms were so humid and the air cond. could not keep up. Keep in mind too that we stayed here in Feb when the temps were in the sixties tops, so it's not like it was sweltering outside. The second night, we cranked the air then went out to dinner. When we entered the room it was hot and stuffy. My husband opened the air conditioner and removed the filter which was filthy and was supposed to be changed in 2006 or something (written on it!). We left the filter out during the night and the air blew out a little better from the vent. It was bearable.

Also, the first night we stayed there we ordered room service in the AM. I am a total room service girl, I love it. Well this was the worst. We asked for extra plates so the 4 of us could eat/share and they didn't bring them (2 adults, 2 little kids). My kids wouldn't even eat the pancakes (who ever heard of a kid not wanting pancakes?) cuz they were quite rubbery. I got the california omlet and let my husband choke most of it down. The potatos that went with it were good.

Overall, not a good stay and I'd hope not to have to stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank kariejeanne
Reviewed 20 January 2010

My husband and I were traveling home from a week's vacation and decided we would stop at the Westin Long Beach on the way home. The hotel was beautiful and the parking rate reasonable ($15 self park). The hotel has a great work out room, and the dressing rooms have a steam room as well. The weather didn't cooperate for us to try the pool/spa. The hotel is within walking distance to many different types of restaurants on Pine St. It was a short walk to the Seaport Village. The hotel is across the street from the Performing Arts Center and a couple of blocks away from the convention center.
As Starwoods members, we did get an upgrade to a suite!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 January 2010

This is a large older hotel with a good downtown location where you can walk to many eateries and attractions. My room was on the top floor and had been recently remodeled. All of the staff I came in contact with were very professional and friendly.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family