“Great Sunday Brunch”

The Reef Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Reef Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #69 of 1,269 Restaurants in Long Beach
Price range: US$30 - US$40
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Harbor Scenic Drive and Harbor Plaza
Transit: The Passport
Reviewed July 12, 2017 via mobile

I visited The Reef Restaurant for Sunday champagne brunch. We arrived at 11:45 a.m. Everything was delicious. I had shrimp, two types of salmon, enchiladas, seafood salad, various desserts, fresh fruit. There was plenty other food, like pasta, omelets, carving stations, but I just didn't have room in my tummy for everything. I believe the brunch runs $35 per person (not sure, as I didn't pay for meal). Reservations are suggested, but we were able to get in quickly without them. The staff is very attentive and friendly. We had a window seat facing the bay. It was beautiful.

The restaurant is right outside the exit to the cruise terminal. You will exit the restaurant going the opposite direction to the cruise terminal but it's very easy to go back. This was an enjoyable stop prior to our cruise.

I'll definitely return to the Reef Restaurant!!!

1  Thank sfbebe

Reviewed July 9, 2017

This restaurant was recommended to us by friends who eat here every time they come to Long Beach. We found gift cards for them at the Signal Hill Costco. The reviews on another review site were less than favorable, and the ones here were mixed. However, we got discounted gift cards at Costco and I trusted the friend who recommended the restaurant so we decided to go against the bad reviews. I made reservations on line, requesting a table with a view and notified them we were celebrating our 28th wedding anniversary. We arrived a bit early so we could have a drink at the bar and the hostess said she'd come get us at our reservation time which she did. We were taken to a table not right next to the window, but on the elevated section while still looking out the window and it was perfect. We specifically made reservations for a half hour before sunset so that we could have some light. Unfortunately, the restaurant doesn't face west, so we didn't actually see the sun at all, but the view was still panoramic of the city and a little island and the harbor and it was amazing. Our server, Daniel was friendly, conversational, interested in us when we told him it was our anniversary, sharing a little personal information about himself. It was very nice. We ordered appetizers, a main course, and when we went to order dessert, Daniel said dessert was complimentary for our anniversary. We spent two hours at the table having a very nice, relaxing, evening. There were two big parties going on at the restaurant, but we were not bothered by either of them. The restaurant obviously had ample staffing as we never felt like either party was getting more attention than us. We loved looking out the window and watching all of the lights come on across the city. It was truly magical. This is a fine dining restaurant, they you don't want to rush through. Some of the complaints we read were that it took too long to get food. Let me tell you, if you are looking for a quick place to eat, this IS NOT the place. It is a fine dining, take your time, enjoy the view type of restaurant and I highly recommend it if you want a nice, two hour diner for a special occasion. Go to Costco and get discounted gift cards! I don't know what other reviewers were talking about, we had a truly 5 star experience. I can see that if people aren't expecting to take a long time for a meal, they might not be satisfied. Just know that you will be spending a long time here and make accomodations for that. If you are in a hurry, this isn't the place for you.

Reviewed June 14, 2017 via mobile

Ok, first time in Long Beach for an Aviation Conference and had to drive to this water front eatery. Reservations at 8 PM so it was dark and really nothing to see. Got there on the button and walked into the large, woody lobby, and stood there with no one in sight. There was five of us and another 6 followed from the same hotel. We all stood there with no hostess in view. The bartender showed up and came out and found a waitress to seat us in the back dining room finally. No hostess??? Waiting on us was Mariam who was obviously on her cigarette break because we smelt it.
A couple of bottles of wine was ordered and a mixed drink. A few entrees were ordered and everything came in a timely matter.
Two Hula Chimichurri steaks, Hawaiian rib eye, and two shrimp Scampi with angel hair was ordered. The food was hot, tasty and hit the spot. All dishes came with a nice sized salad. Good hot bread with two styles of butter hit the spot. Another large party in the separate room was going on. Overall, this place didn't place a big spark in our dining tonight. The food was good but the atmosphere wasn't as big as our conference. Service was good and attentive.
Even with plenty of good parking, this place lacks the excitement of a white table top dining establishment. Enjoy!!!

1  Thank msdet1529
Reviewed May 8, 2017

This was the first visit for my wife and me. We had an 11 am reservation and arrived on time. We approached the hostess and gave my name and she said “have a nice brunch” but didn’t offer to seat us. I asked “will we be seated” she just stared at me for a while then gave a stern “YES”. Later another women approached us and asked us to follow her, we did. She took us near one of the buffet food areas then told us she had to check on table availability so turned and walked back toward the waiting area. The woman called out to us and said to follow her, we did. She took us to a seating area and said “your table’s over there”. It was on the opposite side of the room over 30 feet away from where we were standing. We looked at each other then walked toward the table that was being cleaned. When the busboy finished we took our seats. We both noticed that there was chocolate all over our table that had just been cleaned, so we used our napkins to wipe it down.
Our waiter’s first words were “these are the rules” then he proceeded to explained how everyone was to applaud him each time he entered the room. He repeatedly reminded diners of his various rules and proper etiquette for dining in his restaurant.
The Made to order pasta cook had refilled used Grenadine bottles with wine for making his pasta sauce. The fried and baked chicken was cold and flavorless. The ribs were cold, the roast beef for sandwiches was tough as shoe leather. There was bacon, sausage, breakfast potatoes and scrambled powered eggs. The Reef has the same items and quality you would expect to find at a hotel free breakfast buffet. You get all this for 40 dollars per person, not including beverages or gratuity. I am just so disappointed, I expected so much more. I made a special date with my wife and nothing was up to par at this place. I wanted something to taste good or at least be warm clean. I would say this place is a joke but jokes are funny this place is a sad waste of time and money.

2  Thank TonyNest
Reviewed April 7, 2017

We visited this restaurant when we went to see the Queen Mary. It was a pleasant surprise. The staff were very pleasant, the view was awesome and the food was very good.

Although maybe a little pricey, it was well worth the money. If you only have $80 and could go to the Queen Mary or this restaurant, i would say go to the restaurant.