“Good Service, Bad Location”

Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area)
Ranked #22 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Reviewed 14 January 2018 via mobile

Check-in: Late check-in so we received a wheelchair accessible unit on the third floor. Apparently, this unit was also adjacent to a renovation project.

Room: Clean, but dated. The king bed was comfortable. We could never get the temperature in the room right. The water pressure in the shower was low. Quiet at night; but, during the day, loud noises from the renovation project. The WiFi was slow at times but allowed me to do all that I needed to do on a business trip. The Keurig machine was dirty (ran several hot water cycles and still coffee grinds in cup). There is no refrigerator and no microwave in the room but one in the lobby for guest use.

Shuttle: Shuttle was nice. No shuttle to LAX but to Long Beach Airport and to places within 3 miles of hotel. The shuttle bus itself needs to be replaced. Customer service from the shuttle drivers was exceptional.

Restaurant: Two large coffees about $5. Breakfast for two was about $16. Breakfast was surprisingly good. Again, great customer service. Although we did not partake, there was a bar as well.

Location: Shady. Stores within walking distance but safety and security is a concern (use the shuttle). Pay the extra money to stay closer to shore or on Ocean Blvd.

Overall, the renovations and location were frustrating but, great hotel staff!

Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank Mentally_Checked_Out
James M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2018

Mentally_Checked_Out, Thank you so much for sharing your review on TripAdvisor. I appreciate you sharing your candid thoughts about our property providing valuable feedback to take into consideration. Obviously some items you mentioned such as the coffee maker and the challenges with your A/C unit are not at all acceptable and have been immediately addressed. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast, shuttle service, and our great staff. We look forward to you coming back to see our brand new rooms when the project will be complete in just a few short weeks. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us.

Reviewed 13 December 2017

Very friendly and helpful staff. Neighborhood abit sketchy but walking distance to some eateries. Could use some room modernizing. More choices for the restaurant would be a plus. They do have a local shuttle which was nice.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
James M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2018

Darla520, Thank you so much for sharing your review on TripAdvisor. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed our staff and shuttle service. We are excited to announce our rooms are being modernized as we speak. We can't wait to show off our new look! Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

Reviewed 4 December 2017 via mobile

I had a great experience with my stay. I will have to give another review for the parking but so far great. Hotel was clean, staff were nice and I was 20 min from the beach. The breakfast was different as they don't have the usual fix it yourself foods. You have a little restaurant place that made me a wonderful protein based meal (eggs, veggies & fruit). I was totally impressed. Went for outside exercise and got a really good run on the beach. Good job Hoilday Inn... Oh, now I am waiting for them to take me to the cruise ship as my car will be parked in their underground garage for the week.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
James M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2017

Safetyve, Thank you so much for sharing your review on TripAdvisor. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us prior to heading off on your cruise. We are excited about our new cafe Toast 2 Toast, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. We look forward to seeing you when you get back from the cruise. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us.

Reviewed 22 November 2017 via mobile

The decor was pleasant. The rooms comfortable and we liked the shuttle service to the downtown restaurants. Very friendly staff also. You must have a package deal to use the shuttle to the Cruise Port.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
James M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2017

Dan R, Thank you so much for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the the decor, shuttle service, and friendliness of our staff. Thank you again for choosing to book with us, we look forward to seeing you again for your next cruise out of Long Beach.

Reviewed 16 November 2017 via mobile

I had no problem staying here even though I have an injury and needed an ADA room. The room was comfortable and I was well taken care off by all the staff in the restaurant - especially Corina & Gilbert. The hotel even waived their normal parking fee so I could park since I use handicapped parking.

Stayed: November 2017

Lisa M, Thank you for sharing your review on TripAdvisor. I am so happy to hear that my staff jumped on your request to make sure it was fulfilled. It also brings me great joy to share your kind words with Carina and Gilbert. Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us, we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 12 November 2017

Great hotel for the downtown Long Beach area and perfect for a stay prior to a cruise from the Long Beach cruise terminal. The staff is great and the rooms are nice. They also offer to shuttle you to different areas within a few miles of the hotel to see the sites of Long Beach. Great place, great staff and you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Have not had a bad room? Ask the staff they will help.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
James M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2017

j s, Thank you so much for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We cannot thank you enough for returning to stay with us again, I am so glad you found great consistency in our staff and shuttle services. We hope to see you again the next time you cruise out of Long Beach. Thank you again for staying with us.

Reviewed 25 October 2017

This hotel is probably the cleanest hotel we have stayed in food a very long time. We were here for 7 nights and dealt mostly with,, Arthur Thomas, Lizel Mora & Yaudel Lopez. Staff was fantastic helpful with knowledge and shuttle service. Even the housemaids were fantastic. Therevis only one drawback here and that is that the hotel is 2 mile from downtown. The shuttle covers this well.

Room Tip: The pool is on the second floor.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
James M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2017

JudyandBillG, Thank you so much for sharing your review on TripAdvisor. It is so rewarding to our staff to be recognized online and I can't thank you enough for letting the world know about just a few of the many great staff members at our hotel. I am so glad you enjoyed the convenience of the shuttle. Thank you again for staying with us, we hope to see you again should your travels bring you back to Long Beach.