“Wonderful, unique place, but do not expect to use the internet, which is incredible at those prices”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Bel-Air

Hotel Bel-Air
Ranked #2 of 349 Hotels in Los Angeles
Paris, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

Hotel Bel Air is a stunning, a gorgeous property with outstanding service and amenities, on par with the very best hotels in the world.

However, it suffers from one serious and incomprehensible issue.
Even the Premium connection does not allow much more than email, and you may as well get rid of the "complimentary" one as it hardly can load Google (!). Most times, I cannot even load your connection page!

I think it's a major issue that you should solve asap, as in 2012 all professionals (even on vacation) need a reasonably fast internet connection (and are used to fiber optic connection in a hotel like yours)
I honestly never saw a slower connection, in any hotel I've been in for the past 8 years or so. Test show it ranges from 0,1 to 0,8 Mg download...which is way below the cheapest DSL on the market today.
Now all premium hotels are above 10 Mg, and even most cheap hotels.

It's really hard to understand why you would not invest in internet, given the rest of the suite has the latest technologies. And a $2000/night price tag!

Also, property is located in Los Angeles, not on some remote Pacific Island, where you would have to pull a cable from 5,000 miles away.

In my case, I have to check out tomorrow as it's impossible to do any work, while I would have gladly stayed 3 weeks waiting from my new house to be completed.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
12 Thank Fabriceleparc
HBAManager, Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, 19 June 2012
Thank you for choosing Hotel Bel-Air during your recent visit to Los Angeles. I am concerned to hear of the inconvenience you were caused by the internet during your recent stay.

Unfortunately, we had an issue with our internet carrier which affected a region of Los Angeles where the internet speeds were unusually low. The next day the issue was fixed by our internet provider, but not before you experienced connection issues. This is unfortunate because the internet bandwidth for Hotel Bel-Air is 100MB, surely suitable for anyone wishing to utilize our WiFi connection.

I hope your recent experience will not deter you from considering Hotel Bel-Air on a return visit to Los Angeles and I would be most grateful for any opportunity to restore your faith in our hotel.

Please accept my sincerest apology and I look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Bel-Air.

Director of Marketing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

Most beautiful and wonderful place- totaly relaxing and attentive staff! When people say the old addage- "you get what you pay for" - this hotel and its people are the very definition. I was suprised at every turn at their level of attentiveness and attention to my well being. When i departed and left personal belongings in the room- they were gathered and forwarded to me in less than 24 hours!! The front desk staff is over the top and couldnt do enough for me. Conceierge is fabulous too...

Room Tip: there are newly redecorated rooms that are worth staying in!! but your ocation at the property shou...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
HBAManager, Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, 19 June 2012
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Hotel Bel-Air. I have passed along your kind words to our staff as they will appreciate that they made a difference in your stay. We hope to have you back with us again in the near future!

Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

The hotel is amazing, right in the middle of everything I wanted to see and visit. Breakfast is a great addition. Being allergic to feather I asked for a hypoallergenic bed and they provided me with that so I didnt have to scare everybody with my running nose and tearing eyes! Definitely will come back next year with my fiancee! Thank you guys!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
HBAManager, Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, 19 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay at Hotel Bel-Air. I am delighted you enjoyed your experience and will be joining us again for another visit. We know how miserable allergies can be so we are happy to help in any way! We hope to see you and your fiancée again very soon!

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

The Bel-Air is superb in every way. The extensive renovations have not spoiled the ambiance of the beautiful landscaped and extensive grounds. The rooms are completely updated and automated. There are any number of options for items such as pillows, coffee maker and the like.

We didn't have dinner in the dining room, but our two lunches there were excellent. We did have an incident with the desert we ordered one night in the bar, but the Hotel followed it up to our complete satisfaction.

The welcoming, competent and friendly service is second to none. Every wish is cheerfully and efficiently fulfilled.

I could go back to LA just for the pleasure of staying at the Bel-Air

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
HBAManager, Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, 19 June 2012
First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hotel Bel-Air. I am thrilled you enjoyed our redesign and the dining experience at Wolfgang Puck at Hotel Bel-Air!

We pride ourselves on providing a five star experience at Hotel Bel-Air and are glad to see it made a difference in your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Bel-Air very soon.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

This is the best hotel on Earth. The staff is extremly friendly, helpful. They made the stay great. The hotel is nestled in a safe community, with beautiful greenery. I highly recommend to stay there. If I am in LA next time, will difinetly go there.
The rooms are recently renovated with a modern look.

• Stayed March 2012
HBAManager, Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, 19 June 2012
Thank you for your kind words. I am pleased you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that our staff truly made a difference in your stay. Thank you for recommending us and we hope to see you back at the hotel this Summer!

Warm regards,
Inverness, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

The hotel has just had a great facelift and looks amazing - they even kept the swans although, as it was raining, they had been locked away somewhere! Lovely restaurant and great service and very attentive staff. Unfortunately, the food was good but not brilliant - having just come back from the Biltmore in Santa Barbara where it was amazing! Overall, I felt it was expensive for what we got.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
HBAManager, Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, 19 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hotel Bel-Air. I am pleased you enjoyed the redesign as much as we have. However, I am extremely concerned to hear that the food did not live up to your expectations.

I will be contacting you via private message to arrange a complimentary dinner for two on us. Our menu changes daily due to availability of seasonal farmers’ market ingredients so we’re confident we can win back your trust, perhaps with new menu options.

Once again, please accept my apologies and we look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Bel-Air.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

We had a wonderful experience. There were a couple of exceptions. Our room was to have a courtyard, which it did, however, there was no view other than hard stucco walls. The TV in our room was too complicated and malfunctioned, the picture went out after 3-5 mins of viewing. Turning off and on again was to no avail. The wifi internet access was difficult at best.

Everthing else was perfect. The gardens are spectacular. The food was great.

We will return.

Room Tip: Make sure you clarify what your view will be. Each room appears to be completely different.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
HBAManager, Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, 19 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us on Trip Advisor. I am glad to hear you had a wonderful experience. As the majority of our rooms are located on the ground level throughout our 12 acres of gardens, most of our accommodations do not offer views. However I would suggest you look into our Premier Canyon guestrooms or suites that are on the hillside overlooking the canyon. The views are spectacular.

I am concerned to hear of the inconvenience you were caused by technical issues with the television and internet during your recent stay. It is always disappointing that we did not live up to the high expectation we have set for ourselves and the hotel. I would like to assure you that we have been busy addressing and resolving the concerns raised during your stay and I am confident that you will find Hotel Bel-Air has returned to its usual standards when you next visit us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
#2 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)
The Garland
#10 of 349 in Los Angeles
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,885 reviews
Central L.A
Magic Castle Hotel
Magic Castle Hotel
#1 of 349 in Los Angeles
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,978 reviews

Been to Hotel Bel-Air? Share your experiences!