“A Favorite Weekend Activity”

Los Angeles Zoo & Botanical Gardens
Ranked #77 of 553 things to do in Los Angeles
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Los Angeles Zoo and Botanical Gardens opened on November 28, 1966. The Zoo is home to more than 1,100 mammals, birds, amphibians and reptiles representing more than 250 different species of which 29 are endangered. In addition, the Zoo’s botanical collection comprises several planted gardens and over 800 different plant species with over 7,400 individual plants.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Stairs / lift, Activities for young children
Reviewed May 6, 2018

We visit the LA Zoo whenever we get a chance. It is a fun place to visit with many different activities besides viewing animals. There is always at least one volunteer on the sidewalks with an animal that you can learn about and touch, such as snakes, hedgehogs, and lizards. The petting zoo also has a variety of animals, such as sheep and goats, that you can pet and brush. The LA Zoo is very big, so you'll never get bored or run out of things to do. For example, we always love feeding the giraffes. The bird show is exciting because several types of birds fly just above your head from a mountain top up above. We enjoy watching the river otters as they go down their slide. The food at the LA Zoo is pretty good because there are many different restaurants that you can chose from. There is also a fun indoor children's play center next to the entrance called the California Condor Rescue Zone. You'll have to look for it because it's hidden.

All reviews
"griffith park"
in 28 reviews
"school groups"
in 7 reviews
"a great place to spend"
in 8 reviews
in 16 reviews
"hilly"
in 27 reviews

Reviewed April 25, 2018

This is a small zoo with a very confusing layout. Enclosures reminded me of the horrible cages that I remember from the 60's and 70's. We were really disappointed in this place and would never go again. I am surprised it is still open. It really needs to keep up with the times and remodel everything.

Reviewed April 23, 2018

This zoo is not something you should spend your money on.
The animals look so depressed and sad. This is probably because they have some of the smallest cages i have seen in a modern zoo.
Half of the cages barely have a rock or a tree. It's really sad to look at.
If you are an animal-lover i wouldn't recommend this zoo.
Also the "mexican" food we got there had zero taste to it.
Just sad.

Reviewed April 23, 2018 via mobile

. Where is freaking PETA now. They sue and harass people for stupidities and I do not see them suing LA to take keep these animals with dignity. All politics.
This zoo is small and depressing. It seems that you are in a third world county zoo
1) habitats are too small and in need of maintenance. Even for small animals the habitats. We’re small
2) some animals need more shade it was a SUNY warm day. The zebras were desperate looking for shade trying to stay against the wall. They did not have enough shade.
3) some animals need more care. They look that they re not taken care of. The leopard was limping.
4) if you see the lion habitat, it is so small and so depressing little dirt for the animal and mostly concrete.
What they have are huge stores with lots of souvenirs Food is expensive and not worth it. Sodas and water outrageous $4 for a soda bottle and 3 for a water bottle.

If you are in SoCal visiting. I would say go to San Diego Zoo. This zoo is much bigger., they have big decent habitats for the animals and do take care of the animals. More expensive, but worth it

See more reviews
Reviewed April 12, 2018

I have a thing about gorillas - I want to visit them whenever possible. I arrived at the zoo when the gates opened. The lines were a little long, but by purchasing my ticket online on my phone, I was able to skip the lines - but I also forfeited the $2 discount I found in the hotel brochure. It was worth skipping the lines for. They do not have lockers, so I rented a stroller for $10 to carry my camera equipment. The zoo is extremely hilly, but what a great workout! I arrived at the gorillas just as they were fed, and employees were available to answer questions. I cried and watched them for 1.5 hours. Beautiful. I walked the rest of the zoo and observed everything. The walkways need to be cleaned - like water blasted cleaned of gunk. Many of the exhibits are in need of repair. But overall, it's lovely and has lots of shaded areas for resting. I did encounter a gentleman to decided to steal a stuffed animal in front of me and his 8-9-10 year old daughter. I confronted him and asked him why. An employee was there immediately to help, and police arrived. Very sad. To risk going to jail for a $10.99 stuffed animal. For the most part guests were courteous to others. Upon leaving the zoo at 1:30, the lines and groups outside were humongous! I would suggest arriving at the zoo when the gates open, the animals are fresh, and the crows are still at home sleeping.

1  Thank MaMa-Beck-13