See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed June 26, 2011

The worst I have stayed in!!!!! Our toilet broke twice then I was told to fix it myself which is what I had to do on a daily basis. Our room 312 was extremely dirty although they make you leave the room between 11am-1pm so the cleaner cleans, what a joke. The carpet was sticky. The room was very smelly, the bed terrible, the kitchenette dirty dirty dirty. The room is so old and reminded me of something our of a horror movie. At night the staff would sit outside our window, smoke, drink and talk loudly until 3am - no respect for anyone. The staff were hopeless, the hostel is gross. Save your money and don't stay here, there must be something better. Its old, dirty, gross and I can't believe they charge so much. What a joke. The only good thing is that is close to where it all happens.

Room Tip: Don't stay here - its a waste of money
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sarah197923
Reviewed February 2, 2011

Nothing like taking the early train, carrying your luggage up the Venice Beach hostel stairs, and being given the choice between paying 3 1/2 times what your reservation quotes or being charged for a night or more as a "no show" cancellation fee to go back out on the street.

Online, Venice Beach looked like too much savings to pass up, so I forced myself to forgo a reservation at a much higher-rated, favorite hostel. The email confirmation of my Venice Beach reservation quoted $59.22 for 4 nights, and the breakdown of those charges per night. Like my confirmations for other hostels, it said taxes would also be added, and a refundable deposit.

The Venice Beach Hostel receptionist printed out an invoice for the same $59.22. She hand wrote in ~$10 for taxes. So far, so good.

Then she hand wrote in a $40 charge for food and internet. Never at any point online or in person, had I been asked whether I wanted to purchase food and internet for an additional charge. This addition brought Venice Beach to the same price as the much higher-rated hostel (which offered free internet & breakfast) I'd forgone out of thrift.

Finally she hand wrote in a deposit of $100. One hundred dollars? My forgone favorite hostel charges NO deposit.

What's the highest deposit you've ever been charged for a 4 night hostel stay? $20 for the key? $25? How about $100? Do we have the winner here or what? Good thing Venice Beach had already won my trust by sticking so closely to its advertising and reservation quote.

I said the $210 she was asking for looked unbelievably different from the less than $60 I'd been quoted. She asked if I'd like to speak to the manager, who told me the extra charges had all been in the fine print online.

Here are direct quotes pasted from the web page that sold me Venice Beach hostel:

"Free Internet & computer in rooms & ** free wireless"
" free food - breakfast fixings & dinner basics for you to cook."

I guess this is where keeping up your hand writing skills in the computer age can be worth it. Look how creative you can be with your invoices!

Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank traveller1052
Reviewed August 10, 2010

I can't even say that despite all the short comings this hostel had, "you get what you pay for", because I didn't pay 20 bucks a night, but should have. The common area and hallways will be sure to annoy you if you don't smoke, because everybody else does.
Compared to other hostels of the same price, the kitchen facilities are poor, with few utensils or crockery and the lure of a free breakfast involves pancake/waffle mix only.
On the plus side the staff seemed friendly and helpful enough and the large common area did lend itself to be a good area to meet everyone.
The hostel is in a large enough building right in the center if Venice Beach. With a new owner that runs a professional business and not a rip off outlet, the place could be brought up to scratch.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank PlanetaryPalooza
Reviewed September 20, 2009

I booked a private room for myself for 3 nights, ahving read the reviews on other websites, it sounded nice. I have stayed in hostels all around the world, so i know not to expect hotel standards, but htis was, by far THE WORST hostel room i have ever stayed in. I cannot comment about the rest of the place (common areas, kitchen etc) as i didnt stay long enought to see.
As soon as I came into the room, i wanted to leave, however it was midnight on a saturday night, so I had no choice but to stay. I left as soon as I could the next day and stayedd in a hotel (there was no other private room at hostels available in LA) The room stunk like urine, the tv didnt work (the lady at the counter said none of them do and havent for ages), there is no aircon (lady said open the window). There is a kitchen, but is nothing in there but a sink, so basically a waste of space. The only positve thing was the computer an internet in every room, it was fast and free, so cant complain about that.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank nikifini
Reviewed July 19, 2009

We were booked at the venice beach cotel, around the corner, but when we arrived they had had plumbing problems and couldn't give us a room with private bathroom. They phoned this hostel who could give us a private room. The room was spacious, with computor (free of charge), and TV (which didn't seem to work). The only negative thing was the smell of the room, really awful! the rate for private with bathroom was $91.25 incl taxes. They said we could have free pancakes and coffee in the morning but we didn't. the kitchen was open for all of the hostel. We didn't hang around much and didn't mix with others. the MUST is Mao's kitchen opposite, the cheapest restaurant possible with huge quantities and delicious asian food, we were there every evening. very popular!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple