“Amazing location.”

Venice Beach Hostel and Hotel
Reviewed 17 October 2015

I arrived around eight in the evening and was dropped off in the alley way beside the hostel. I was a little disoriented because I could not locate the reception. I did eventually. It is on the second floor and resembles a police station in Texas. The people working at the hostel are very down to earth and helpful. I was very thrown off by the reception area, because it is quite old and not very well kept. Before I paid for my private room I asked to see it. A friendly woman kindly obliged and I was happy to see that the room looked exactly like the photograph. It was, in fact, more spacious. However, the towels that were left on my bed to use were stained. I do highly recommend bringing your own towels instead of risking it with towels that smell clean, but are not cleaned properly. The room felt very safe. Now for the good part: the hostel is located SECONDS from the beach and the area that surrounds it is amazing. There is an incredible restaurant across the street where you can bring your own alcohol, a burrito place beneath the hostel, and a great vegetarian and vegan friendly restaurant around the corner from the hostel.There is also a GREAT vintage store and coffee shop across the street. This hostel is located spectacularly and that is ultimately what you are paying for. I walked to and from the beach to the hostel whenever I needed to use the bathroom or take a nap and it was absolutely lovely. If you can afford to pay 500/ night for an Air BNB in the same location then obviously do that, but if you are low maintenance and can afford a private room at this hotel then bring your own towel and enjoy Venice.

Room Tip: private room.
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled solo
2  Thank PattyFarias

Reviewed 22 September 2015 via mobile

Ok the one thing going for this place is location. Location is right near the beach but if it's beach you want you'll have a better time sleeping on the beach with the street people. The Venice street people run rings around the staff at VBH.

From the moment we walked in we felt un welcomed and not comfortable. Staff were rude and blunt. I thought perhaps the man that checked me in was having a bad day so I made an effort every other day and he was rude numerous times. So were other staff. There was one girl who was on night shift that was the exception. I stayed for 3 nights and it was tough.

We had a private room with a broken toilet. It ran and you had to jiggle the flush every time. Then it flooded and water went everywhere. It was fixed but the place is so run down.

There is smoking in all common rooms and eating areas so the place stinks like stale smoke. You can't eat a meal without breathing smoke. The kitchens filthy. I found a cockroach in the fridge!

It's a place that zaps your good energy and makes you feel dirty and depressed. I've traveled the world and this was my worst hostel experience. Which is a shame as it holds much potential.

I hope the health department doesn't conduct any inspection as no doubts it will be shut down.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sparkles666
Reviewed 12 April 2015

You want a different vacation experience? Can you exchange the perfectness of hotels with making fast friends, meet people from all over the world, and be right next to the beach? I stayed here (in my 30s) with my son (17) for 4 nights and we enjoyed every minute of it. My only complaint is that they stole our towels thinking that they were their's, but they did return them.

Room Tip: The common rooms can stay loud pretty late, so if you want to get to sleep early, ask for a 3rd room...
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank rubix1138
Reviewed 25 March 2015

I have always stayed at hotels that were 4 stars or better, however due to finances, I had to consider hostels for my recent trip. I looked at quite a few. Believe me, I was very nervous about staying in one because I didn't know what to expect. I stayed here for 5 nights. Well, let me start with the facility. It is like staying in an older person's home--not fancy, a kind of comfortable clutter feeling. I stayed in the girls dorm in a bunk bed (for the 1st time in my life!). There were six bunk beds, a semi-private and another private room area in the front. One pretty nice bathroom. I didn't have a problem with anyone-as a matter of fact, I made several new friends from around the globe. The room was clean. Got a little cluttered, but what can you expect when a bunch of women with tons of stuff are living there? It's no different than sharing a room with your brothers and sisters. The common areas were ok, but I didn't spend much time there. The kitchen is the main focal point since that is where the food is. The breakfast is exactly the same everyday. So-so waffles, jam, margarine (YUK!) sausage and potatoes and oranges (most days). But again, I had some great morning conversations (and met some gorgeous guys) at that table so it is what is is. I felt the staff was very friendly and accomodating. They are basically hippie-like so they have a casual "I'll take care of it" attitude. No they are not professional concierges who bow to your every request. Some other hostelers told me that they felt the price ($48/night) was way too high. They charge .50 for towels and there is a coin-op washer/dryer on the 2nd floor. I extended my stay from 3 nights to 5 nights and didn't have a problem. When I checked out, they immediately return your $25 deposit. A cheaper and nicer hostel is a short distance away in Santa Monica and several people went to stay there as well. But I think that if you want a clean and decent bed to sleep in, close to fun things and the beaches, this will do. If you are uncomfortable being with strangers, try to get at least 4 or 5 other people you know to stay with you. I left my new laptop there, so did others, my I-phone, etc. Nothing was ever disturbed and I went out quite a lot. I would definitely consider going to a hostel again. Right now, Venice Beach is in an uproar because several residents were robbed so the entire neighborhood is trying to do something about the more aggressive/mentally disturbed population who lives there. I only walked down the Strip at night once. A lot of people were out and no one bothered me. I would suggest staying here a couple of nights to get the feel of it. I noticed that at first the staff seemed a bit tense, but the longer I stayed the more friendly they became. The location is very central to everything. Keep an open mind and I think you'll have a better time.

Room Tip: Your sheets should be clean. They clean daily so if you need new sheets, say something.
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled solo
3  Thank CoCo775
Reviewed 18 March 2015

Made reservations for Sunday to Wednesday. On Saturday I asked if I could add Saturday when I come check-in past midnight on Sunday, they said that would be fine. Flight got cancelled and had to rebook, contacted them on Saturday late afternoon that I won't be checking in till Sunday noon now. Upon check-in they said I had reserved Saturday and I must pay before being able to check-in. Talked to owner and was talked down to very rudely; he didn't seem all there mentally, showing a lack of logic and reason. On top of all that you're charged an additional 16% tax when the description makes it sound like the price already has 14% tax built-in and any discrepancies will be fixed at check-in. Instead the price has no tax built-in and you're charged an additional 16%. Contacted AirBnB and they agreed with me on the situation and refunded me for Saturday; they tried talking to the owner but they said the owner refused to work with them so AirBnB refunded me for Saturday which meant AirBnb actually lost $30 with me booking for this hostel. Sheets had stain, bathroom is a mess, you have to cook your own breakfast and wash the dishes.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled solo
3  Thank Andy L
Reviewed 1 December 2014

First I must preface this with saying that the States don't really have a hostel culture. So if you are looking for hostels with European standards and prices, then you will always be disappointed. You would be better off looking for cheap motels/hotels.
That said, while this hostel was very basic, fairly old and shabby, and the staff weren't the MOST friendly, it still has a hostel culture in that all the other guests were pretty friendly and good to chat with.
Breakfast provided was waffles/pancakes and various condiments, and one of the (slightly grumpy) staff members wandered around each morning with a plate of hard boiled eggs. 'Coffee' available (again lower your standard compared with Europe), but it was there.
Bottom line, place was relatively clean, and convenient enough for Venice Beach area. I have a feeling that hostels in the states are often going to be a bit less than desirable in most situations.
Ok for a few nights if you need somewhere to stay and want to meet people/be stumbling distance from Venice Beach.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Sam C
Reviewed 20 November 2014

The location is great, the hostel needs a bit of work. It is a bit dirty and the staff aren't overly friendly. They made you feel like a burden if you asked for anything. The common room is really good though - great way to meet people. This was one of the most fun places I have stayed, which brings the rating up - always something to do, something interesting to see, plenty of great places in easy walking distance, just don't stay out on the boardwalk too long after dark.
Don't use any ATMs in the area that aren't run by the bank. We only stayed 3 nights and 3 people that we met had used a dodgy ATM and lost all of their money. Be aware of scammers on the boardwalk too. Check out The Flying Jalapeno below the hostel for food, they make the best burritos. I would recommend this place to younger travellers, definitely not families.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Samesun Venice Beach
#6 of 108 in Los Angeles
Santa Monica
Hostelling International - Los Angeles/Santa Monica

Been to Venice Beach Hostel and Hotel? Share your experiences!