“Wash your dishes or there is hell to pay :-S”

Venice Beach Hostel and Hotel
Reviewed 18 September 2016

The hostel was all good, but when we finished cooking our meal on our last day, and were about to wash our dishes, someone wanted to use what we were using (like a pan or something) right away, without us washing it and we gave it to them (not directly, just placed it on the counter) and he said thank you and we walked away.
One of the staff spotted this (without seeing the interaction with the other guest) and felt it prudent to lecture us on not doing our dishes :-S
Even when we explained the situation of the other guest wanting it right away, he was just rude about it and kept saying that we needed to do the dishes, until the other guest just rolled his eyes, grabbed the pan, quickly washed it and started using it. The staff member pretty much grumpily walked away at this stage and after he left most of the guests in the room exchanged conversation on how rude it was :S

I've stayed in hostels around the world, trust me I know the drill. Wash your own stuff. The guy just wanted to lecture someone - its not my fault you had a bad day or feel like a power trip buddy - next time, try listening when genuine people are trying to explain something to you and try to not make them feel small in a room of people - because really it just makes you look like the $%*k in the end.

Other than that, it was a good stay. We didnt stay for long though because Venice Beach didnt feel safe at night so we moved to a different area of LA - but to check out venice its great :)
(as long as you dont lend your used crockery to other guests :-S )

Room Tip: Be careful going out at night
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled with friends

Reviewed 19 August 2016 via mobile

My friend and i booked this hostel prior to our arrival. We flew from New Zealand and were very tired and jet lagged.

The gentleman at reception was so rude and unhelpful. He made us wait 1 hour and a half for a room as he didn't know who was checking out. He finally gave me a key and said the dorm should have two spare beds. I opened up and every bed had been slept in; no clean sheets. When i told him he threw another key at me and said try this then. Same situation every bed was dirty! I advised him of this and he said well there should be spare beds, if not your going to have to wait longer. I advised the rude man if he just got me some clean sheets i would do his job for him! He grunted at me and said he hd no spare sheets.

The wifi didn't work - and he wasn't intending on doing anything about it. He charged us $150 for the night which i thought was disgraceful.

We didn't end up staying and got a refund. We had to walk about Venice Beach to try find somewhere to stay - not ideal after 36 hours of travelling!

Really do not recommend - other guests also told us how rude and nasty the man on the desk was.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 August 2016

I don't really understand the bad reviews on this place. It was my first time staying in a hostel, and I had a great experience. While it's not like staying at a five star hotel (you're staying in a hostel what do you expect?) the room was much bigger and cleaner than I expected. As a young female traveler, I felt comfortable and although we stayed in a private room, I would feel okay trying the dorm next time. Everyone at the desk (especially Carl) were very kind and helpful. Free breakfast in the morning is decent and it is really cool having the experience of hanging out and eating with other like-minded travelers. They have a great outdoor patio where you can sit out and look down at the street area. The location is so close to the beach and boardwalk action and many restaurants (try Cafe Collage). I would return if I was in Venice Beach again.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 May 2016 via mobile

I personally don't have anything to compare this hostel to because this was my first time staying in this environment. We stayed in mixed room (211).The room was basic but clean, the toilet and shower were clean which was a bonus. There was a locker for valuables. The location is great but I believe the place was a little expensive for what it was. The kitchen had everything you needed however the supplied breakfast was terrible.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2016 via mobile

This hostel is located in a great spot if you're trying to stay close to the beach, we were really close to Muscle Beach, the basketball courts, and we could see the Santa Monica Pier, which was not far from us at all, but we didn't have the time to walk there. I suppose that a little more effort could be put in the maintenance of the facilities, but overall, the time we spent in there was fine, I don't think anyone in my group left with any complaints.

Stayed: January 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 April 2016 via mobile

Okay so this place is not too bad. It's. Dates but defiantly doable. Plus it's not a bad price. Everyone here is social in the kitchen, the staff are friendly and there's even a t and pool room which is good. Wifi is average and there's a lock out between 12-8am I think... So can't come back @ 4am smashed :/

That is the only thing I could really like a stick at.. Location perfect! Would stay again. For 2-3 nights is perfect for what you need.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 February 2016 via mobile

Absolutely the WORST hostel I ever stayed at. FILTHY!!! Disgustibg seats carpets, furnityre, all stained, dirty, one shared bathroom per 8 person room. Rude, lazy front desk flamboyant wanna be girl. No breakfast. Just bread and coffee. Noisy, i would NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN, the hostel up the street is better, and ocean beach is like a t star hotel compared to this squatters abandoned lookibg interior. They provide no towels, and i had to stand in 2 feet of water in the bath tub from the last 3 persons showering before, the health dept needs to inspect this place. It would have many violations!!! Shame on you trip advisor for advising people to stay at this dirty, unfriendly place, with a rude, flamboyant queenie at the desk.
Horrible
Disgusting
Dirty
Non working shower drains
If you dont get up by i am you probably wint get to take a shower by the 11 am checkout, and if so, you will be standibg in 2 feet of water!!
I stayed last night and felt like i was being bit by a bug when i layed downin bed!!!

Save yourself!! GO ELSEWHERE!!!!!!!!
I am calling the healtg dept tomorrow to see if they have had an inspection in the past 15 years,...it surely doesnt seem it!!!!
Cheers!

Hollywood
Orange Drive Hostel
Orange Drive Hostel
#6 of 109 in Los Angeles

Been to Venice Beach Hostel and Hotel? Share your experiences!