See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed August 19, 2016 via mobile

My friend and i booked this hostel prior to our arrival. We flew from New Zealand and were very tired and jet lagged.

The gentleman at reception was so rude and unhelpful. He made us wait 1 hour and a half for a room as he didn't know who was checking out. He finally gave me a key and said the dorm should have two spare beds. I opened up and every bed had been slept in; no clean sheets. When i told him he threw another key at me and said try this then. Same situation every bed was dirty! I advised him of this and he said well there should be spare beds, if not your going to have to wait longer. I advised the rude man if he just got me some clean sheets i would do his job for him! He grunted at me and said he hd no spare sheets.

The wifi didn't work - and he wasn't intending on doing anything about it. He charged us $150 for the night which i thought was disgraceful.

We didn't end up staying and got a refund. We had to walk about Venice Beach to try find somewhere to stay - not ideal after 36 hours of travelling!

Really do not recommend - other guests also told us how rude and nasty the man on the desk was.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed August 6, 2016

I don't really understand the bad reviews on this place. It was my first time staying in a hostel, and I had a great experience. While it's not like staying at a five star hotel (you're staying in a hostel what do you expect?) the room was much bigger and cleaner than I expected. As a young female traveler, I felt comfortable and although we stayed in a private room, I would feel okay trying the dorm next time. Everyone at the desk (especially Carl) were very kind and helpful. Free breakfast in the morning is decent and it is really cool having the experience of hanging out and eating with other like-minded travelers. They have a great outdoor patio where you can sit out and look down at the street area. The location is so close to the beach and boardwalk action and many restaurants (try Cafe Collage). I would return if I was in Venice Beach again.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed May 18, 2016 via mobile

I personally don't have anything to compare this hostel to because this was my first time staying in this environment. We stayed in mixed room (211).The room was basic but clean, the toilet and shower were clean which was a bonus. There was a locker for valuables. The location is great but I believe the place was a little expensive for what it was. The kitchen had everything you needed however the supplied breakfast was terrible.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed May 17, 2016 via mobile

This hostel is located in a great spot if you're trying to stay close to the beach, we were really close to Muscle Beach, the basketball courts, and we could see the Santa Monica Pier, which was not far from us at all, but we didn't have the time to walk there. I suppose that a little more effort could be put in the maintenance of the facilities, but overall, the time we spent in there was fine, I don't think anyone in my group left with any complaints.

Stayed: January 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed April 7, 2016 via mobile

Okay so this place is not too bad. It's. Dates but defiantly doable. Plus it's not a bad price. Everyone here is social in the kitchen, the staff are friendly and there's even a t and pool room which is good. Wifi is average and there's a lock out between 12-8am I think... So can't come back @ 4am smashed :/

That is the only thing I could really like a stick at.. Location perfect! Would stay again. For 2-3 nights is perfect for what you need.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled with friends