New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Venice Beach Hostel and Hotel
Adelaide, Australia
“disgusting, stinky rooms”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2009

I booked a private room for myself for 3 nights, ahving read the reviews on other websites, it sounded nice. I have stayed in hostels all around the world, so i know not to expect hotel standards, but htis was, by far THE WORST hostel room i have ever stayed in. I cannot comment about the rest of the place (common areas, kitchen etc) as i didnt stay long enought to see.
As soon as I came into the room, i wanted to leave, however it was midnight on a saturday night, so I had no choice but to stay. I left as soon as I could the next day and stayedd in a hotel (there was no other private room at hostels available in LA) The room stunk like urine, the tv didnt work (the lady at the counter said none of them do and havent for ages), there is no aircon (lady said open the window). There is a kitchen, but is nothing in there but a sink, so basically a waste of space. The only positve thing was the computer an internet in every room, it was fast and free, so cant complain about that.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank nikifini

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Korean first
switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2009

We were booked at the venice beach cotel, around the corner, but when we arrived they had had plumbing problems and couldn't give us a room with private bathroom. They phoned this hostel who could give us a private room. The room was spacious, with computor (free of charge), and TV (which didn't seem to work). The only negative thing was the smell of the room, really awful! the rate for private with bathroom was $91.25 incl taxes. They said we could have free pancakes and coffee in the morning but we didn't. the kitchen was open for all of the hostel. We didn't hang around much and didn't mix with others. the MUST is Mao's kitchen opposite, the cheapest restaurant possible with huge quantities and delicious asian food, we were there every evening. very popular!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Newcastle
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2008

We stayed here for 3 nights. To start off with I booked a private room throuogh their website at $80. I never got an email confirmation. I had to call them a week later to see if it was booked. I asked them to email me. Two and a half months later and four days before im due to stay there they email to say I am booked in. When I get there it's now $89 and as i didn't have a confirmation email I have no proof it was any cheaper. They then charge you an extra $3 per night for using a card. I questioned this as I was only making one payment not 3. They also don't tell you about the tax of 14%. So from going in expecting to pay $80 per night I am now paying $105. Then theres the $100 deposit. This is all before seeing the room! The room is big with a computer. The bathroom smells really strangely, the toilet seat and shower rail is hanging on by their last threads. Theres also a lot of mould around the shower. There is lots of noise through the night from the streets nearby. The main problem we had though was when i sat on a corner of the bed the wheel bent back. Im not very heavy and the bed was very old and rickety. I went and reported this straightaway and the woman on the desk said it was fine they would sorted and said I wouldn't be charged. Then when checking out they have now decided to charge me for replacing the bed! I can guarantee the bed wasn't replaced the wheel was just knocked back into place as that wasn't a new bed we were sleeping on. The manager is extremely rude and did is best to ignore us and let his staff deal with the matter. After talking to him he said he wouldn't charge us aslong as we reported it but the woman I reported it to wasn't there until 8pm. Yet when I called back later that night I was told he was still going to charge us. He had obviously no intention of not charging us he just wanted us out of his office. He is rude and arrogant, I urge you to go anywhere but here! It's near the beach and has a computer. Thats the two positoives but instead of staying here you could camp on the beach and use an internet cafe and probably have a much better experience!!

• Liked — The computer
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed August 2008
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Check-in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank ctg85

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Katoomba, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2008

Many people write reviews after there first time travelling, this was the last leg of a world tour. I have stayed at 30-40 hostels. This hostel was like a tardis, small on outside, but nice inside. nice staff, free surfboard hire, free wifi of 6 MB, right next to beach. I also stayed at the Cotel for one night and would not recommend the Cotel. The staff at this hostel were seen cleaning all the time, also pancake mix was free which kept us going till midday, and also free coffee all day!
This hostel was providing exactly the facilities needed, also it gave you a PC with flat screen in your room. I can only vouch for shared accommodation with kitchen and toilet and also TV! (Room 312), the area can be seen as dodgy but that's like any beach area after 10pm....lots going on.
I am 34 and my daughter (16) was backpacking with me and we were impressed. The only criticism is maybe the smoking in the lounge, as it could have been kept to a reserved area, but still it didn't bother me. Well done cleaners and staff, would highly recommend.

• Liked — PC, TV, Beach, Free food, Free Coffee, free surfboard, location.
  • Disliked — Smoking in lounge
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
      Check-in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2007

We found the Venice Beach Hostel at 1515 Pacific Avenue in Venice CA via Craigslist.org. How can I put this nicely....It was the most vile, disgusting, stomach-turning experience I have ever had ever in all of my world travels and this doesn't even include the bedbugs and the urine-soaked room.

My boyfriend and I booked a private room under the weekly "special" of $550 dollars. The desk agent CONFIRMED that if we left before the week was up we would be refunded the remainder of our stay....LOL! The owner MARK is laughing all the way to the bank. He claims no responsibility for his desk agents, who are consistently inconsistent or their representation of his rules and regulations. His agents claim that he sets inconsistent office hours (although according to some of his desk agents "off the record" this information is a lie) and refuses to set a time to meet in person. When he finally returned our phone call, after 7 days and several messages, he raised his voice and refused to answer one simple question, "Why would we check out of your hostel if we understood that we would not be receiving any refund for the remaining three days?" This man shows no sense of moral responsiblity to his guests. The cops were called!

Oh and did I mention that the guest who had been in our room prior to our arrival did not pay her bill and her items were evicted. She returned to pick up her items at 3 in the morning and "somehow" got up to the 3rd floor, room 307, unnoticed and entered our room with the other room key that she had failed to return to the front desk. She refused to leave our room and Mark, the owner, refused to refund our money...all on our first night at the Venice Beach Hostel at 1515 Pacific Avenue.

Unless you are bored and looking to throw away a lot of money then AVOID, in fact , STAY FAR AWAY!

Stayed November 2007
8 Thank valfries
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2005

Venice Beach Hostel is the best hostel I've stayed in, hands down. Perfect location for the beach and bars - check out Mao's kitchen for awesome chinese food. The hostel itself was lovely and clean, very friendly and helpful staff with stuff like karaoke and film nights organised for free. Big clean kitchen, with free pasta, pancake mix and other stuff. All rooms had a PC with free internet access - amazing!
I'd definitely stay here again no problem. It's a great hostel with a brilliant atmosphere and lots of friendly guests.
Loved it!

• Stayed July 2005
4 Thank GemStGem
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2005

My boyfrind and I stayed here for three nights at beginning of september 2005, we had a private room with private ensuite, excellent price think we paid about $180 booked it on hostels, had to pay a $100 room deposit when we arrived....bit steep but i guess its because the room had a PC with free internet access, plus cable tv. Room was very large with two double beds, excellent if you are travelling with a group as i think they charge for the room when booking a private room and not per person so might work out better than booking dorm. had a small kitchen...well not really a kitchen, but it had fridge and microwave. Shower was not good but the bathroom was clean. Excellent location, one block from beach, one mile from santa monica, truely beautiful place, right beside muscle beach. Hostel had a pretty lousy policy of making all guests vacate their room every single day between the hours of 11am and 3pm to allow for cleaning. ~Pretty laid back attitude of staff, they were quite helpful, no one was overly friendly including other guests, not a great atmosphere but i would def stay here again and i would reccomend it to friends. $100 deposit was deposited back into my account one week after our check in date

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member