All reviews great location large room two double beds universal studios hollywood fame boulevard rates
Reviewed May 16, 2011

Arrived to hotel after 12 hour flight and 2.5 hour wait at airport at 8PM. Receptionist said: "oohh did you not receive email about relocation?" We did not get any email at all and were not happy to hear that. Receptionist then said to wait while he called his manager. Then he said that luckily they had room for us which will be ready in 2 hours.
I was really tired and annoyed that we should wait till 10PM for our room, but nothing could be done. Went to move car to the carpark at the back and receptionist came out to tell us, that they actually have room available for us right now, so we checked in and went in our room!
Really felt like in some reality show where they try to create tension in order to get the happy ending! Silly really, they had room so why the drama?

Anyway, after that all was great, our room was huge, hotel has excellent location, just 3 min walk from Hollywood boulevard and subway stop(went to Universal studios, just one stop on subway).
Breakfast was good enough for us, I had croissant with strawberry jam and husband had bagel with cream cheese, coffee, juice, cereal available, could not fault it.

Had dinner at Le Oriental Bistro at North Highland Avenue, 250m from hotel, had amazing orange chicken, it was dinner menu with soup and spring rolls all for $12! And so tasty, highly recommended if you are on budget or not! Does not look anything special from outside but worth trying!

Date of stay: April 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed April 27, 2011

Stayed here for three nights and it was all we expected and all we needed . The locatiopn is super. Hollywood at your doorstep. Close to sights, taxis, tube . All L.A. is easily accessible .

Hotel is very clean . Big room which was unexpected. Bit of noise. Thin walls and a room off foyer meant we had to ask night manager to talk to his friends a little more quietly. Breakfast nothing special but at this price any breakfast is a bonus.

Can thoroughly recommend

Graham

Hobart

Date of stay: March 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maree R
Reviewed April 17, 2011

This hotel is right in the middle of Hollywood and that's what almost all visitors of LA are about! It's on a quiet street and you have a good sleep. Beds are big and firm, sheets are clean enough. We stayed for two nights with our doughter and all of us were satisfied.
No bedbugs (such a relief for cheap hotel)!! They serve breakfast (included), not much you will have for that: coffee/tea, bead&butter, jam, some cereal. There are only 6 seats for breakfast and all stuff finishes quik so be first. The hotel provide FREE parking right at the door. Room smelled freshly drycleaned (ouch!), but this is much better then smell of mold. We kept our windows open. Of the amenities there were TV (we never tried), iron without board, small fridge and aircon (never tried). Overall: what the hell do you want in the city of angels exept a good sleep. Or pay three times higher and get a full buffet.

Room tip: Second floor looks better.
Date of stay: April 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank RudeboyMoscow
Reviewed March 26, 2011

Here is my problem:
Let's start with the fact that the cooler which was a 3-prong plug, with ground, was plugged into an extension cord, that was NOT a 3-prong plug, therefore leaving the ground exposed. This is an OSHA violation. Next we'll mention that the electrical outlet directly behind the bed, was an uncovered outlet, pressed firmly against the fabric of the bed, in which a small spark could then ignite the bed. This was in room 211.
I was then told I would be moved to room 111, but the persons in that room had not checked out in time, so I was offered room 102, which is right in the lobby area. This room looked as if they had just thrown the bed in there last second, as there was no bedskirt on the bed, giving a very tacky & unprofessional appearance. In addition, this room had no refrigerator like the previous one, & therefore I was unable to put my leftover food, anywhere for the night, & was forced to throw it away.
In an odd occurrence, there was a bit of a cold front that night, & the temperatures dropped. The heater in my room did NOT work, and the desk clerk said they could not fix it until the next morning. He did, however, find me a space heater, which took nearly an hour, to heat up. Having a room in the lobby was difficult enough to try and sleep, with all the traffic coming in & out of the hotel, but freezing was not helping either.
The next morning as I attempted to get ready for my day, I realized the iron in my room did not work, so I had to take the iron to the front desk, and ask for a new one, which appeared to irritate the desk clerk, who was trying to watch TV in the lobby. After about 10-15 minutes of waiting, I finally received another iron. I then started my shower, realizing that I had no hot water. Now I had to put clothes back on, go to the lobby, "disturb" the desk clerk again, to ask why I had no hot water. He then came to check the water, and after several minutes of only cold coming out of the shower head, believed me. He then went to find the maintenance guy, who also needed to test the water before believing it to be true. Then the maintenance guy went to fix the water heater. 20-30 minutes later, I finally had hot water, and was now almost an hour behind on my important business day. As I was finally getting ready to leave, I asked the front desk to borrow a stapler, to which he had NO idea what I was saying. I pointed at it, & he handed me pliers. I then pointed again, & he realized what I was asking for. The stapler he handed to me did not work, and instead of handing me the OTHER stapler on the desk, which I'd seen him use earlier, the clerk then took his time trying to fix the stapler, then hunt down more staples to fill it. Finally, only an hour & fifteen minutes later than I'd planned on leaving, I was able to check out.
Had I not been on such a time crunch for my trip, there would have been some serious words discussed with management, though I doubt they would have been able to understand any of it, as their English was minimal. I know Hollywood is not the glamorous place people think it is, but this place, especially for the price of nearly $100/night, was pathetic. I would NEVER recommend this trashy place to anyone, even someone I didn't like.
Just a side-note, they have free WiFi, but only in the lobby, which consisted of a couch & 2 chairs.

Date of stay: March 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank Phantomvision
Reviewed March 17, 2011

Great staff, cheaper than surrounding hotels, no frills, breakfast is generous compared to surrounding hotels, rooms are a decent size

Location is great right behind hollywood and highland literally a 30 second walk to the back door of the centre

Date of stay: January 2011