All reviews great location affordable hotel large room two double beds universal studios free breakfast hollywood fame storage
Reviewed January 8, 2012

There really isn't anything major to fault this place on, we had a pleasant stay there for 2 nights whilst visiting LA from Australia. We got a Standard room and were surprised by the roominess of it, great size room, huge bathroom area, comfortable beds, rooms made up daily and most importantly (for tourists anyway), GREAT location, it's literally a few minutes walk to Hollywood Boulevard and transport. Although we didn't spend all day in the hotel, we both had a pleasant nights sleep each night. So if you're looking for somewhere comfortable to stay and base yourself from while you see the sights, without breaking the bank, I would recommend this place.

Of course there were some things that could be improved, front desk staff always seemed too busy chatting on the phone or with friends to care too much; despite this though, they will help you with what you need if you ask for it! The rooms look a little dated, and could do with some minor maintenance, but nothing major.

Overall, great value for money, with free wifi (ask front desk for pass key) and parking. Not to mention a fantastic location, walking distance to everything! Some great food places nearby worth a visit are Mel's Drive In Diner & Hard Rock Cafe.

Room Tip: There are no lifts, only stairs, so if you have a lot of baggage, you may prefer a ground floor room.
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank paulie_au
Reviewed December 7, 2011

In as much as I really want to love this independantly owned boutique hotel, I still cant bring myself to do it.

WHY??

OK, I am a person of size, meaning that the bathroom fixtures are WAY TOO SMALL.
The shower, while ample in the curtain area still has its flaws.
This hotel is not compliant in many ways, so if you need an elevator, forget it!
Lots of steps.

THe front desk attendents can be very helpful and for the most part polite.

The woman who owns the place was there when I checked in and she told me the building was built in the 1930s.

She was very nice as well.

OK, so the place is not the Best Western or the Holiday inn, but it is not corperate owned either. I like to support independant business. And since this is only a place to sleep while out on the town, I will continue to stay here,

Previously reviewed:

I have now stayed here twice. As previous reviews have stated the location is EXCELLENT. My traveling partner and I wanted close to the Magic Castle and a decent room rate. That is what this basic "no frills" hotel has to offer.
PROS:
Location
Decent size rooms and bathrooms
decent quality bed.
great "budget" price.

CONS:
Limited parking (lot was full when I pulled in late Saturday night and had to leave keys at front desk for consideration of other guests.)
No bottled water or sugar free beverages in the nearly out of product vending machine.
Not ADA complient. No elevator, lots of stairs
and finally, their bookkeeping department!

Re: bookkeeping: I reserved 2 nights (Friday night and Saturday night) departing Sunday morning. After being on the road 1/2 way home to the SF Bay area, I get a call from the hotel bookkeeper. "You owe us for another night." she says. I told her we left at 11:00 am check out time, gave our keys to the housekeeping lady because the front desk guy was tending to something else. She then asks me to mail her or fax her my receipt when I got home as she did not have a copy of it. (WHAT? no reciept copy which I signed???) We hang up, she then calls me back (as I am driving) and then tells me she made a mistake and apologizes.

So, other than this customer service incident, I would reccomend this place highly as you get a nice clean space. Pay cash and get a receipt.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank never_again01
Reviewed November 21, 2011

Theh hotel itself isnt too bad in terms of size, cleanliness, location etc. However the service is another story! The receptionists spend more time playing on the computer or loud chats on their phones. We also had a "party" of people stay on our floor who were up in the corridor drinking and chatting til 5am - reception did nothing and when i complained they said there was nothing they could do. How about get them to stop? Throw them out? Call the police? No apology given to me either. NEVER AGAIN.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chris t
Reviewed November 7, 2011

Avoid booking this hotel at all costs. I booked a two night stay and paid one night's deposit. A few weeks later I wanted to extend the booking by a night and emailed them to request this. I received no response after several emails and eventually made three phone calls in an endeavour to see if the extension was possible. They eventually sent an email which had details on it that I could not decipher. I again made a phone call to try and get them to send me proper confirmation ...... and I am still waiting. Wwe haven't been there yet but if their booking process is indicative of theri service I'm not looking forward to the stay.

Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2011

We had such mixed thoughts about this place - the location to the Hollywood Boulevard is great, in fact it is literally on the back door of the Kodak Theatre.

Check-in was friendly. We had a 'suite' which was anything but. Everything felt dirty. The kitchen was large but devoid of any utensils, toaster etc. The room layout was terrible, lacking mains outlets and random furniture everywhere.

The main socket in the kitchen fell to bits in my hand (see photo), and the telephone was filthy and complete with someone's hair (see photo).

Breakfast was absolutely the worst attempt at catering we have ever experienced. Undrinkable dishwater-coffee, children's watered-down orange and all served in the smallest room imaginable. It really can't be that difficult to get this so wrong?

Although it was a budget hotel, we wouldn't ever come back here but instead try the other budget hotels nearby.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple