All reviews every morning parking is tight off street parking grapefruit tree compact car living room my home away from home room was clean sitting area boutique hotel location is great would definitely stay here again supermarket hollywood comfort neighborhood driveway
Reviewed March 14, 2012

I travel to LA frequently for work, and normally stay downtown at a large chain hotel. With no rooms available downtown last week due to sporting events, I had to expand my search more broadly, and ended up at this nearby but certainly non-traditional (from a business travel perspective) lodging. I enjoyed being here; it was a nice break from the normal routine of business travel, and made my time in the morning/evening feel serene and removed from the world of work.

As others have said, the owners are great -- very attentive, available anytime, and they really think of all the little details. The amenities are great -- I received a bottle of wine & two truffles at check-in, had access to great wifi, free parking, daily pastries/fruit/tea, etc.

I only had two complaints. The first is that it was extremely hard to regulate temperature in the room -- it would often be too chilly, occasionally too hot. While part of the blame for this rests with March temperature swings in LA, it would seem that better systems in the property could make this better. The second is that the owners required me to change rooms in the middle of my stay. This is actually the main reason I gave 4 stars rather than 5. While this was explained to me upon my arrival, and an explanation was given, I still think better coordination ahead of time could've prevented this. While disruption was minimized by the owners (to their credit), it is never ideal to have to change rooms within a property.

Overall though (I don't want to end on the couple negative points), this is a great place to stay, in a nice location (off the beaten path & away from the tourist hordes of Hollywood, but still close by), with great amenities. I certainly recommend it to leisure travelers, and think business travelers may find this to be the same pleasant oasis I found it to be.

Room Tip: Peace room = large bathroom Zen room = smaller generally, but nicer (in my opinion)
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed February 27, 2012

I loved, loved, loved my stay at the Hollywood Pensione. I travel a lot for work, and never have I ever felt so at home. You have your own room, bathroom, fridge in the kitchen and breakfast every morning when you wake up. Where else can you pick grapefruit from a tree in the back yard and squeeze fresh juice any time you want? It was quiet, easy to find and easy to get to everything you would want to see in LA. I highly recommend this hidden gem on your next trip to Hollwood.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Katy F
Reviewed December 16, 2011

Hollywood Pensione offered a calm and friendly retreat in a great location near Griffith Park in Los Angeles. Owners Erika and Dougald renovated their Craftsman home beautifully to include 3 guest rooms on the second floor, complete with shared kitchen, sitting area, and outdoor balcony overlooking their shady backyard with off-street parking. Woke up each morning to a breakfast surprise. We hope to return.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed December 3, 2011

This is the place to which I'll return year after year! It is a house. Almost a B&B experience with a sweet continental breakfast of homemade pastries and fresh fruit with coffee and tea. The owners live on the bottom level of the old beautiful and large two story house that was gorgeously refurbished and so artfully furnished. Each of the three guest rooms is upstairs with its own bathroom. Each guestroom also has an ample refrigerator in a kitchen just for guests that is well stocked for cooking and dining in. Oh and there's also a washer dryer for guest use.

The neighborhood is safe. There is a small active night scene very close by, along with an upscale market and good dining choices. It's smack in the middle of residential Hollywood so it's ideally situated to many of L.A.s cultural and movie land attractions.

Check it out. If you want a homey experience with privacy and comfort, this is a great choice. It definitely works for me!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank arlenejoe
Reviewed December 3, 2011

This was such a great find. It was a true home away from home, and a very inviting place to stay. The rooms are really large and comfortable, and no detail has been overlooked to make your stay enjoyable. The kitchen is great, and you can make yourself at home there, not just for breakfast. And speaking of breakfast, the warm freshly made daily pastries are divine! Dougald and Erika are great hosts, very helpful and friendly. Don’t think twice about staying here – you will have a great experience.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are quiet, but the ones facing the front of the house get wonderful morning sun.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends