All reviews every morning parking is tight off street parking grapefruit tree compact car living room our honeymoon my home away from home griffith observatory within walking distance bed was comfortable sitting area two nights would definitely stay here again boutique hotel enjoyed our stay location is great
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I'm not a Hollywood type guy. I don't do nightlife or any of that. I just wanted a good value near LA. I found it here. The room was clean, the location was as quiet as can be explected and the area was safe to walk to restaurants and the grocery store. There was a freshly made starter breakfast ready in the morning. You'll also enjoy the driving exam as you navigate the narrow driveway!

Date of stay: August 2012
3  Thank Scott C
Reviewed August 7, 2012

My mother and I stayed at the Hollywood Pensione for 4 days, 5 nights. I've stayed at the Palihouse and Palihotel before and this place is my new favorite! Dougald was incredibly friendly and informative. He even sat with my mother in the kitchen talking about the history of his house and the area for almost an hour one morning! He made breakfast every morning, oh wow, it came up warm and the fruit was so fresh. Delicious! It's fairly central, walking distance to grocery stores, wine shops, coffee shops. Rooms were very nice. Your own air conditioning unit and a large fan. Sheets were AMAZING (he told us they were bamboo) and bed's were so comfy. It was hard to get up in the morning! Like I said, this is the best place in Hollywood, we'll definitely be back!!

Date of stay: June 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed July 3, 2012

First off I would classify this "hotel" as a Bed & Breakfast and not a hotel as such. That aside we had a great time here, the location is excellent in a nice quiet and safe area with easy access to the main hollywood attractions. We did not have a car and still got everywhere we wanted either walking or using various public transport which are all close by.

The room was large, comfortable and clean. Use of the shared areas (kitchen, balcony & lounge) was great. Overall the place is clean and tidy but showing some signs of wear. The hospitality and provided breakfast was also excellent.

For the price and the location you certainly can't beat this place. I highly recommend and would definitely stay here again.

Room tip: The Bamboo room we stayed in is the best of the 3 rooms.
Date of stay: June 2012
2  Thank sim69417
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Our experience in this little boutique hotel really was fantastic. It makes a brilliant change to your average over crowed and accident prone city hotel that cares only for the money. The couple that run this accommodation welcome you into their home and offer all of the advice and local knowledge you could possibly need. When we arrived a couple of hours early there had been a water leak, but not only were they prompt in resolving the situation, they apologized profusely and brought a bottle of wine up to the room for us. The rooms may not be to everyone's taste as they are very simplistic, but everywhere is clean and tidy and both me and my partner loved the décor. I really can't thank Erica and Dougald for such a lovely stay in their hotel, for all of their advice and for treating us like friends rather than just customers. A really personal experience that I won't ever forget.

Room tip: All rooms are amazing, but the Zen room has a slightly smaller bathroom so would be advised for a solo traveller.
Date of stay: May 2012
2  Thank SSmith0106
Reviewed May 18, 2012

We usually stay at some cheap hotel when we travel to LA, but this time we decided on something different. Hotel Pensione was the perfect decision. Dougald was extremely friendly and helpful, and the room was beautiful. When we arrived, Dougald helped us with our bags and gave us a tour of the house. They were generous enough to give us a bottle of sparkling wine and our own filtered water pitcher in our mini fridge. The communal living area and kitchen were very clean and comfortable, as well. Our bed was extremely comfortable, and the room and bathroom were very clean and decorated beautifully.

I was afraid that since it's an older house and our floors creaked that we might be kept up by other guests, but we never heard a peep! It was a wonderful atmosphere to stay in, and we will definitely return whenever we travel to LA for vacation. It is a great value, and we can't thank Dougald and Erika enough.

Date of stay: May 2012