“Haven in Hollywood”

Hollywood Pensione
Ranked #14 of 95 Los Angeles B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 23 November 2012

I am so happy that I booked a stay here. Sometimes when booking smaller, boutique properties you are taking a risk because many do not live up to their promises and website pics. However, Hollywood Pensione is the real deal, with super clean rooms, kind, welcoming owners and the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. Ever. Seriously, who knew a mattress could be so heavenly? Each guest has their own fridge which is useful, the communal kitchen is stocked with filtered water, tea, coffee and fresh baked treats and fruit each morning. The wifi was fast and reliable and the location was perfect for where I needed to be. It's an easy 5 minute walk to Franklin Village which has a strip of boutiques, cafes and a supermarket. I felt really well looked after while staying here and really appreciated the relaxed, comfortable vibe and care taken to ensure my stay was a great one.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Jo_au

Reviewed 17 November 2012

My husband and I, and another couple stayed with Dougald and Erika at Hollywood Pensione for 4 nights in Oct/Nov and what a wonderful experience it was. Our flight arrived in LA at 7am so we arrived several hours before check-in yet we were welcomed at 9am and shown to our room immediately. The house was tastefully decorated, very clean and well maintained. Our room was large and the bed was very comfortable. Free wi-fi, washer/dryer, kitchen and free landline phone calls was also an added bonus.

Hollywood Pensione is within easy walking distance to Hollywood Blvd, Walk of Fame, Metro, restaurants, shops and a supermarket without being right in the hustle and bustle of town.

We woke to fresh baked pastries each morning and on our final day, Dougald and Ruby went to the effort of baking us an Australian flag pastry which was delicious!

We had a fantastic time in the USA and during our 3 weeks and many different hotel stays, no other hotel compared to Hollywood Pensione.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Carolyn D
Reviewed 27 September 2012 via mobile

The hosts are excellent - helpful and not intrusive. They provide a breakfast of pastries and fruit every morning. The place is spacious and decked out well. almost every amenity is provided. They even supplied ear plugs in the bed side table drawers. I sleep with ear plugs in normally so I don't mind but other visitors who aren't sound sleepers may want to use those ear plugs because there can be a lot of street noise sometimes which includes the sound of helicopters overhead.

The ONLY gripe I have is that the bed that we are using is very firm and we are not used to the hardness.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Diana F
Reviewed 12 August 2012

I'm not a Hollywood type guy. I don't do nightlife or any of that. I just wanted a good value near LA. I found it here. The room was clean, the location was as quiet as can be explected and the area was safe to walk to restaurants and the grocery store. There was a freshly made starter breakfast ready in the morning. You'll also enjoy the driving exam as you navigate the narrow driveway!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Scott C
Reviewed 7 August 2012

My mother and I stayed at the Hollywood Pensione for 4 days, 5 nights. I've stayed at the Palihouse and Palihotel before and this place is my new favorite! Dougald was incredibly friendly and informative. He even sat with my mother in the kitchen talking about the history of his house and the area for almost an hour one morning! He made breakfast every morning, oh wow, it came up warm and the fruit was so fresh. Delicious! It's fairly central, walking distance to grocery stores, wine shops, coffee shops. Rooms were very nice. Your own air conditioning unit and a large fan. Sheets were AMAZING (he told us they were bamboo) and bed's were so comfy. It was hard to get up in the morning! Like I said, this is the best place in Hollywood, we'll definitely be back!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 July 2012

First off I would classify this "hotel" as a Bed & Breakfast and not a hotel as such. That aside we had a great time here, the location is excellent in a nice quiet and safe area with easy access to the main hollywood attractions. We did not have a car and still got everywhere we wanted either walking or using various public transport which are all close by.

The room was large, comfortable and clean. Use of the shared areas (kitchen, balcony & lounge) was great. Overall the place is clean and tidy but showing some signs of wear. The hospitality and provided breakfast was also excellent.

For the price and the location you certainly can't beat this place. I highly recommend and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The Bamboo room we stayed in is the best of the 3 rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sim69417
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Our experience in this little boutique hotel really was fantastic. It makes a brilliant change to your average over crowed and accident prone city hotel that cares only for the money. The couple that run this accommodation welcome you into their home and offer all of the advice and local knowledge you could possibly need. When we arrived a couple of hours early there had been a water leak, but not only were they prompt in resolving the situation, they apologized profusely and brought a bottle of wine up to the room for us. The rooms may not be to everyone's taste as they are very simplistic, but everywhere is clean and tidy and both me and my partner loved the décor. I really can't thank Erica and Dougald for such a lovely stay in their hotel, for all of their advice and for treating us like friends rather than just customers. A really personal experience that I won't ever forget.

Room Tip: All rooms are amazing, but the Zen room has a slightly smaller bathroom so would be advised for a so...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple