“One of the most beautiful experience”
Review of Hollywood Pensione

Hollywood Pensione
Ranked #15 of 94 Los Angeles B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 6 March 2011

I stayed at Hollywood Pansion for good 2 Months. It was one of the most beautiful experience. I was in NYC and was visiting LA for some work. I started searching for places and found this place on the net. I spoke to Dougald & Erika and discussed everything on phone and email. Deposited the money. When i arrived at LAX Dougald came to receive me in his car. (he never charged me for the pick up). when i reached the place it was clean and people were very friendly as promised in mails and phone. I started staying there and what ever i asked for was fulfilled by the hosts (Dougald & Erika). it was like a family. next, i had to visit Vegas and i was not carrying credit card. then came Dougald the savior who not only gave me his credit card to book the flight ticket and Hotel he also drooped me at the airport that too 4.am in the morning.

well, staying at Hollywood pansion was like living with my family. one day there was a little problem of water that too for just 10 minutes and to compensate for that Dougald & Erika gifted all of us staying there with a bottle of wine and fruits including next day huge breakfast. in today's world when everybody think of only themselves and have no time for others, this family treats the guests as a family member. there are so many times when Dougald dropped me to different location and that too with a smile. no complains ever.

I highly recommend this place. Value for money, clean, friendly hosts everything

well i can proudly say i have a family in LA :)

Regards

vivek Tewari
INDIA

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank Tewariviveck

Reviewed 5 March 2011

I've stayed several times at the Pensione - usually alone for business. The rooms are meticulously appointed, the living spaces are accommodating and the hosts are warm and gracious. I was pleasantly surprised by how well the Pensione suited a larger group - 6 adults, visiting LA for a wedding. With multiple, private rooms we were able to relax and have private time when we needed to, or gather, talk and share meals in the living and dining rooms together. Safe, spotless, stylish. What's not to love.

• Stayed: April 2010
1  Thank rgatx
Reviewed 5 March 2011

I live in L.A. in a one bedroom duplex. My sister and her wild boys needed to stay at my place, so I took a little vacation in my hometown. Erika and Dougald were so lovely and warm and made an extra effort to accomodate me last minute - I feel like I've known them all my life!! To be honest, I wanted to keep on at the Pensione rather than return to my real home in Mt. Washington. Best bed I've ever slept in and the linens are so soft!! It's in a very convenient location and I could walk to dinner at night (not something I'm used to doing in LA). The warmth and charm of the old Craftsman style home redone with a clean Feng Shui serenity. Loved the "green" details: bamboo towels, water purifiers, special paint, etc. I really do wish it was my house! Can't wait for family to come back to town so I can indulge again!! Also way cheaper than the hotels I looked at in the area.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed 4 March 2011

The is my second extended stay at the Hollywood Pensione. The first occurred three years ago when Erika and Dougal first opened shop. The Pensione is every bit as charming as I remembered it. The rooms whisper serenity. Lovely chocolates and a bottle of wine greet you and set the tone for the stay. The beds are incredibly comfortable, both mattress and organic linens, the colour palette is soothing and the hosts are very welcoming. The layout combines the privacy of your own suite with the conveniences of common lounge area and kitchen. There is also a secluded, furnished porch to enjoy a glass of wine and good conversation or you can enjoy the solitude of your lovely room. The location affords easy access to the Hollywood Hills and some wonderful hikes, as well as an easy walk to prime Hollywood. It truly is a wonderful place to unwind after navigating the crazy currents of this sprawling city.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 February 2011

The Hollywood Pensione is not what we expected. It was supposed to be We are an Eco-friendly Boutique Hotel, housed in a 1915 Craftsman.
Featuring: Eco-Pure rooms with luxurious organic mattresses, fine organic bed linens by Anna Sova, spa-like amenities, and state of the art in-room technology.
Hollywood Pensione was designed for the discerning traveler and professional seeking the privacy of a hotel, with the comforts and conveniences of home, for short and long term visits to Los Angeles.
What we got was peeling paint, a wood block to prop open the windows, a shower that didn't work, stairs that hadn't seen a vacuum in awhile, an unkempt exterior and a dicey and noisy neighborhood. The last straw was the telltale brown stains from nighttime drool on the pillows inside their pillowcases. A 3-night, 4-day stay turned into a 1-night nightmare. This might be ok for someone just out of school looking for an adventure, but then again with a $165 per night price tag, maybe not. This is definitely a part time business for a stay-at-home mom who is too busy to take care of business. We can only hope that the proprietors will refund our money for the 2 nights we didn't stay.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank miken515
Hollywoodpensione, Owner at Hollywood Pensione, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2011

This review saddens me, and it's hard not to take it personally as this is my home and full-time business. Our one employee, Michelle, a meticulous woman who makes her own non-toxic, organic cleaning products was still cleaning when these guests arrived 2 1/2 hours early. We don't show our Pensione in this condition, but the guests asked to use the (just cleaned) bathroom. When they entered beds were stripped, blinds pulled up and windows opened to air the room (including one that requires a small block of wood). Our showers absolutely work - they have a water-saving device that allows you to shut them off while you soap up. Our rooms are very clean: our beds, linens, towels, and bath robes are of the highest quality. My husband maintains the exterior of our 1915 Craftman's home and yard with great pride. Our neighborhood is safe. My neighbors are young artists, old Armenian families, and other young families like ourselves. I do understand that Hollywood is not everyone's cup of tea, and like many cities there are parts of Hollywood not recommended for walking alone at night. Dougald and I make ourselves very available should a guest need our help, but otherwise respect their privacy. We are also very open to constructive criticism: comment cards are available in our guest book. Instead, these guests have gone on more than one website with reviews that are increasingly exaggerated - now calling their stay a "nightmare." We are guilty of having to do some paint touch ups in the door jams (non-toxic paint requires more maintenance) and if you arrive hours before check-in, you may see a full garbage can and a stairway that hasn't been vacuumed yet. If this constitutes a nightmare, I think your life is blessed. We are grateful for the many wonderful guests (from every corner of the world) who have come to share the light and love within our home, and we look forward that continuing in the future.

Reviewed 29 November 2010

Erika and Dougal are friendly and generous hosts. The rooms are decorated more like a home than a hotel. The beds area very comfy and unique. They are made in Hollywood and I looked into purchasing one myself, but they are pretty pricey. The location is is very convenient - right in Hollywood and an easy drive to downtown. You are in a residential area, which is nice, but there were a few times that I had to shut the windows because of neighbors. Very economical weekly rates.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 July 2010

Stayed for just 2 nights in June. Very friendly welcome by Dougal who allowed us to leave our bags and offered to call us when the room was ready as we arrived quite early.

Room in itself was lovely - clean, modern and the bed was very comfortable. Wine and chocs in room a nice touch.

Area was quiet and would recommend the Alcove Cafe & Bakery - about a 15 minute walk away - they do amazing breakfasts in a nice setting but it is quite pricey.

Quite convenient location with bus routes near ish and only approximately a 20 minute stroll to walk of fame and theatres etc. Would still recommend a car in LA though as the public transport system isn't great.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple