“Thoroughly Enjoyable, A Must Do in LA!”

Dearly Departed Tours
Dearly Departed: The Tragic History Tour of Los Angeles
Ranked #14 of 248 Tours in Los Angeles
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Murders, Deaths, Scandals and fun things happened all over Los Angeles. But it's light hearted. Promise. Dearly Departed Tours is a 3 hour tour of the Deathstyles of the Rich and Famous. Legends from Mae West and Bela Lugosi, to Whitney Houston and Michael Jackson. With a side of Hugh Grant and Chris Brown and Rihanna thrown in for good measure. "Creepy, Hilarious, but not for kids or the prissy." - Lonely Planet Also available, The Helter Skelter Tour - based solely on the Manson Murders. Join Scott Michaels, the host of the documentary, The Six Degrees of Helter Skelter will unravel this bizarre time in American History. American Horror Story based their "Eternal Darkness Tour" on us and we've been featured in Anthony Bourdain's The Layover, E! 20 Most Horrifying Hollywood Murders and The Girls Next Door. Hundreds of unedited positive reviews online, Tripatini, Yelp, Yahoo Travel and Tripadvisor. *** Because of our recent move, the MUSEUM is closed until mid to late April.
Wellington, New Zealand
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Thoroughly Enjoyable, A Must Do in LA!”
Reviewed 3 February 2012

My Dad and I did a tour in August. I live in New Zealand and a Dearly Departed tour was something I was really wanting to do next time I was in LA after seeing the tour on the E! Channel.

Our guide was Brian who had a great sense of humour and gave us lots of laughs. I loved hearing about the Black Dahlia and Charles Manson murders, and really enjoyed seeing the infamous locations that I have read in various books or heard about on TV. There was lots of information on the different cases not reported in the media which was fascinating. Brian gave us lots of photo opportunities which was great. I was hoping that the OJ Simpson/ Nicole Brown Simpson case might also be featured in the tour but it wasn't, it would be great if they could add this to the part 2 tour which I plan on doing as well as the Helter Skelter tour next time I am in LA, which I missed due to not being in LA on a Saturday.

Visited August 2011
3 Thank MalibuBarbie80

Prosper, Tx
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 112 helpful votes
“Chilling and Unforgettable”
Reviewed 26 January 2012

After dragging my husband to Hollywood he finally agreed to go on this tour....he really didn't care about 'Stars' homes. This one intrigued him and we booked it. There was only one tour a day and even though we had been under the weather, we did NOT want to miss this. From the get-go we loved this tour. Richard, the guide, gave everyone on the bus a notebook with pictures in it of murder scenes, background information, etc. of the places we went. The stories he told still haunt me. However, as macabre as it was (i.e. the Black Dahlia being cut in half with unmentionable things done to her, heads cut off victims, auto-erotica asphixiation, murders, accidental deaths), Richard also showed us stars' homes and famous stories that had unfolded at various locations (Halle Berry's DWI accident, George Michael's arrest location, where last meals were for victims). I highly recommend this to anyone who is not squeamish but NOT for kids....too dark.

Visited January 2012
1 Thank LLPProsper_Tx
Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“ABSOLUTELY MARVELOUS!! BRIAN WAS A DREAM GUIDE!!”
Reviewed 15 January 2012

It's true, when time and budget is an issue, having a 'staycation' in your own backyard is an easy and enjoyable way to have a short vacay. We live in San Diego and drove up to Hollywood to visit the graves of some famous and infamous folks. My husband surprised me with a trip with Brian Donnelly of the Dearly Departed Tours.
From the very second he met us all in front of the book shop on Hollywood Blvd to the second he dropped us off, the entire 2 1/2 hour journey was a trip!! We were enlightened, educated, surprised and delighted.

As the name implies, it is a tour of those of have departed from this earth and in sad, ugly, surprising and weird ways. We took a tour in a covered, A/C mini-bus and even got a bathroom stop halfway through (which was very important to this grandma lady.) There is very little walking and Brian gave us more information than one would ever expect on how celebrities died. The pic I've attached is one of the apt buliding where Bela Lugosi passed...apparently he was broke when he died so Frank Sinatra quietly paid for his funeral. :o/

Some of the spots we visited we sad, some were salicious, others just made you shake your head in wonder. If the price seems a bit steep ($40 per person) it was well worth it...so worth it that we happily left him a fat tip for all the fun he provided.

Brian answered everyone's questions and tried to include everyone on the bus in the ongoing conversation....Thanks Brian for the afternoon and we will be back for another tour...you're awesome!!!

Visited January 2012
1 Thank BlueStarMama
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Delightfully Creepy!”
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Exactly the dirt we wanted to know! Great job! We have passed your name on to everyone we know!

Visited February 2011
1 Thank zoey9797
Brisbane, Australia
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Not really what is advertised”
Reviewed 27 December 2011

We booked this tour expecting to visit all the macabre places in LA.

We did enjoy the tour, but found that really only about 1/4 of it actually had to do with anything related to murders or deaths.

The rest of the tour was pointing out obscure actors homes, most who I've never even heard of, and places where movies like "Pretty Woman" were shot!

We were dissapointed that we didn't even see some of the real famous sites such as the OJ house or the Manson Murders site (I know the house is no longer there, but I'd prefer to have seen where it was than some of the other rubbish that was included).

There were too many sites to list here now, that I would have EXPECTED to be on a tour such as this, that were not there.

My suggestion to the operators is to cut the rubbish about Beverley Hillbillies and Little House on the Prairie unknown "stars" (if I just wanted to take a tour of stars homes I'd take a different tour), and concentrate on the really famous "crime and death" related places!

I was dissapointed - maybe I expected too much :(