“Very Cool Hotel!”

Ranked #10 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Calgary, Canada
“Very Cool Hotel!”
Reviewed 8 March 2012

I stayed at the Redbury hotel for 2 nights with my mom and my sister. We stayed in the 'base' flat (not sure what one?) and it was really spacious! It is open concept with the only door being a sliding door that separates the toilet from the rest of the bathroom (which was actually nice for 3 women sharing / trying to all get ready at the same time!). We did have to call the front desk a few times as the toilet kept getting clogged with nothing but toilet paper or kleenex in it. The shower also had a glass wall that faced the bed, which could be weird depending on who you're staying with!

The record player was great and a really fun feature. I also LOVED the decor and the art was all very interesting. The kitchen had just what we needed - a sink, a few burners, a lot of counter space, and lots of drinking glasses. The mini bar was not so mini! We didn't take anything, but it was reasonably priced (I actually think the $7 Heineken was more expensive at a restaurant we went to!). There were only 2 coffees (keurig - yum!) so we called the front desk and they brought us up more right away, and the cleaning staff refilled it with 3 which was nice. There was not, however, any laundry soap. We probably could have just asked for it but we decided not to bother as we were just getting ready to go out for the day.

The King bed was SUPER comfortable (which I shared with my mom) and we got a cot brought up for my sister. So not ideal sleeping situation for 'non couples' but we made it work. We had a spacious balcony (for a hotel room) that overlooked the courtyard, which was nice as my mom is a smoker. It DID get quite loud at night so if you can't sleep with background noise than this might bother you. I bring earplugs when I travel so I used those and had no problem sleeping. My mother and sister didn't have earplugs but still slept no problem. It was like having the radio on as you fall asleep... :)

The staff was really friendly, the location was good (about a 10-15 minute walk to Hollywood and Highland / Grauman Theatre etc) and just around the corner from Pantages Theatre. If you want to have a true Hollywood experience, then stay here! We saved a bit of money by going to the Trader Joe's around the corner and getting snacks, to make up for the pricey rooms (about $350/night).

All in all it was a great stay!

Room Tip: Our room overlooking the courtyard got quite loud on Friday/Saturday night (especially Saturday!).
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
East Greenwich
Reviewed 5 March 2012

We were at the Redbury for just a weekend and we enjoyed the unusual decor and the friendly staff. I am surprised, though, that the lobby, soap, and body lotion had an odd, musky, incense-like smell. so bring your own if that bothers you. There was a stain on the sofa, too. On the plus side, the rooms were very large and comfortable, and the location was great. There was a nice big kitchen and a washer/dryer.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Rome
Reviewed 3 March 2012

We really enjoyed the funky decor, the really spacious suite (there were 4 of us) and the kitchen. We didn't use the balcony much as no view on 2nd floor and a bit gloomy. The staff were friendly and laid back.
Location is great if you like the mix of seedy, touristy and glam which makes up the neighbourhood. Some good clubs and restaurants - liked Katsuya, didn't like Beso just down the road. But it's a good place to walk around day and night which is not that usual in LA. Would definitely return to the Redbury.

Room Tip: The Hollywood suite is enormous but there isn't an actual door separating it from the living/sof...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
New York, NY
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Biz trip. Took a 1 bedroom. It had a smoking patio and a full kitchen with what appeared to be a dance pole at one end of the long wooden counter. Turntable with old rock albums and funny shaped furniture give a nice feel. On the downside, in-room dining was super stingy and not well presented (a glass of juice, small container of yougurt still in its grocery store packaging and a piece of bread for $25). Restaurant is a bit of a scene, but this would be a great place to have a small group of friends hang out for drinks or a light meal because the rooms are spacious and the kitchen has really nice gear.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Paris
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Wow, this is a really great hotel.I stayed here twice in Feruary in two different rooms. I don't feel any need to stay anywhere else in LA (Unless budget is a constraint). This is a real five star hotel with great character and a tremendous level of service.

The rooms are stunning. Huge high ceilinged suites with marvellously decadent decoration and a four poster bed. Each room is equipped with a vintage record player and a selection of albums! The kitchen is beautifully equipped and the bathrooms are great. Each room also has a spacious balcony.

Room service arrived in 5 minutes with a meal ordered from the excellent mediterranean restaurant. The selection of drinks and snacks in the room is imaginative and extensive. Check in staff are super helpful. I overheard one of them sending out a taxi to find a guest who had got lost somewhere in LA !

Of course all this comes at a price (overnight parking is $37!) and the rooms come at around $320-$350 a night, but in a way it is excellent value for money and nothing here is done on the cheap. There is even a washing machine hidden away in one of the cupboards.

The one draw back is perhaps the noise. Avoid the rooms that give onto the club next door on the North side. On my first night there was a live concert going on until midnight. Luckily it was a great concert which we enjoyed without having to pay for tickets! The rooms that look out onto Vine are also a little noisy at night. The quieter rooms look out onto an internal courtyard, but then they don't have the great views from the balcony

This a really great experience and you could happily live here for an extended period if you had the money!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 25 February 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here on the way to New Zealand and it was honestly one of the best parts of the trip! The service was beyond excellent but without the stuffy, pretentious feel. The decor was super cool throughout and the room was even better. It's not very often you get to play a Van Morrison vinyl on your own turntable. :) Though it is on the expensive end, it is well worth every dollar, plus the location is unbeatable. If you are in LA, treat yourself to a night (or two) in this fabulous spot!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Downey
Reviewed 23 February 2012

I was looking for a place that was in hollywood that was accessible to all the venues at night. An online broker highly recommended this place and the rates were very reasonable. As it turns out, this place is a converted condo / apartment so size was going to be larger than the average hotel. I got the 2 bedroom suite and boy was is huge! Its true... size does matter. But not only was the size of the room amazing but the decor was chic. Leather sofas, flat panels in every room, king and queen size beds that were ultra comfortable. The record player was a nice touch but was skipping when I first turn it on. I quick call to the host desk and they immediately sent someone to fix it.

Service. Service at Redbury is probably the highest reason why I was so please with my stay. I am not a night owl nor do I know any hollywood nightlife. So I relied a little bit on the hotel on their recommendations. First of, they recommended a restaurant called Saint Felix, which was absolutely fabulous, when the restaurant below couldn't accommodate our party. Then knowing that it could be difficult to get around and get in at some of the venues, I again turned to the hotel hosts (one of which was TJ who was the most accommodating) and ask for suggestions and they gave me some recommendations and they made some calls and they got my group in with serious VIP treatment.

My boys were out for a good time to spend a night with a certain gentleman who will be taking his vows to be with the woman he loves. Redbury made the difference and made it a night that we will always remember.

From the amazing hospitality service, to the comfortable room that had all the amenities that we could look for at a luxury hotel, to the amazing valet service (yes it was a pricey rate for overnight $37) that kept taking our cars out because someone would have to get something. Valet service was a phone call away.

AMAZING!!! Did not disappoint!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends