“First Persian Meal a Hands-Down Winner”

Shaherzad Restaurant
Ranked #1,409 of 10,875 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: Persian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Established in 1982. Shaherzad is the first Persian restaurant that opened in Westwood more than thirty years ago. Since then, it's been known for being the most authentic persian cuisine. The quality of our food is excellent. We are very well known for our Beef and Lamb Shish Kabobs. We use all natural Filet Mignon, lamb, chicken and Cornish hen. We have an open oven to bake our very own special bread that is loved by all of our customers. We offer various appetizers, rice dishes and stews, as well as a wonderful selection of lunch specials.
Reviewed November 25, 2015

My first time here. And, I'll definitely be back. The dining room was simple and (if this is even a possible combination) casually elegant. Service was impeccable--friendly, helpful, and gracious. We started with the Kasha Bademjan appetizer--roasted, spiced eggplant topped with onion and mint flavored yogurt. It was really a chunky dip that was terrific with the house-baked bread. For my entree I had the Sabri Polo with Lamb Shank. You can also choose to have this rice dish with chicken or seafood. The portions of rice and meat were more than generous--a large, heaping plate of saffron rice cooked with cilantro, parsley, green onions, and garlic, and in a separate plate two large, perfectly cooked, falling off the bone lamb shanks. Everything was very tasty and filling, and the final tab for the two of us was unbelievably low. Can't wait to return and try more of the intriguing menu.

Reviewed October 28, 2015

I always eat at this place when I am in Los Angeles. The food is very good and they bring you hot fresh baked bread (Lavash) which you can savor with feta cheese and green vegetables.

Reviewed June 20, 2015

The safron rice was delicious. The portions were a lot larger than I was expecting. Very authentic Persian food and it has a nice atmosphere.

Reviewed May 3, 2015

We have eaten in this restaurant many times. Never a disappointment. We eat this friends from the middle east who feel the food is quite authentic. the decor is simple with fresh flowers on the table and a middle eastern oven where they continuously make fresh bread. the service is good. A great find.

Reviewed March 22, 2015

My mom is married to a Persian so when they flew in from North Carolina, he was craving Persian cuisine. Plus it was Nowruz. We had a party of 12 on a Saturday night on Persian New Year's weekend. It was awesome.

The bread was incredible. A man was just making it all night long in an oven in the back of the restaurant. They also served Persian potato salad as an appetizer which was good because it did not have a lot of mayo.

I had the Barg Polo (kebab with chicken breast chunks) and it was fabulous. The meat was not dry and it was seasoned perfectly. I ordered the Zaresh rice (basmati rice with barberries) and salad as the side dish. The rice was plentiful and fluffy. The salad was good but the tzatziki-style dressing was too sweet for my palate. The dinner also had a huge grilled tomato which was perfect.

Hubby ordered the Koobideh (ground beef on a skewer) and OMG.... this was OUTSTANDING.

The staff was not overbearing and there when we needed them. The prices seemed reasonable. I would HIGHLY recommend this place.

Some tips:

1- The parking can be intimidating. There is metered street parking HOWEVER... there is an alley behind the restaurant and there are three or four spaces right behind the restaurant. I snagged one of them. AWESOME. You can enter the restaurant from the back.

2- Get there before 6:30 PM. Persians are late night owls. They like to eat late. When we left around 8 PM, there were at least 20 people waiting in line to get in.

3- There is an awesome Persian ice cream store across the street called Saffron and Rose.

4- We were the only table of patrons speaking English. Everyone else was speaking Farsi. It was so fun because we felt like we were eating in another country. The other diners appreciated us coming into their favorite restaurant and enjoying their cuisine. A real lovely experience. When Persians flock to a Persian restaurant, you know the cuisine is very good.

5- The staff was very knowledgeable. Our waiter made great recommendations and we appreciated his suggestions.

6- I would give this place five stars but the salad dressing was not a winner for me. I would give this restaurant 4.5 stars. Healthy food, generous portions and a fun atmosphere. I love the cuisine~!