New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices
Tilt Hotel Universal / Hollywood, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Ranked #140 of 347 Hotels in Los Angeles
sacramento
“3 strikes..... We're out!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

We made our reservations months ago. We arrived after the 3:00pm check-in and were offered a smoking room. I have never booked a smoking room in my life! We were given the option to smell the room and it was horrible. We were offered a second room that was non-smoking, but smaller for our family. We were going to settle on the second room and were then offered the original room we reserved. We had our luggage on the cart and opened the door. Imagine our shock when we saw someone else's stuff already in the room. Very scary! Luckily the guest was not in sight. We went back to the lobby and Jun called the owner for the third time. After an hour, we left the hotel and had to cut our vacation short. We have cancelled our "priority club" membership and will probably not stay at a Holiday Inn again.

Room Tip: Get there early for the room you reserved!
Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank hixona
-RPHotelOwner, Owner at Tilt Hotel Universal / Hollywood, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
I am sorry about your stay. As owner of the hotel, I myself was upset reading your review, because we never want to ruin a guests trip. After speaking with my staff, they told me you had booked a smoking room on your reservation. The front desk tried to switch your room to a non smoking room. The room you were switched to, the guests had checked out, and housekeeping cleaned the room. The previous guest was suppose to leave luggage in office, but left it in the room. Maintenance was informed of luggage, and there was a delay in pickup. For that we are sorry. Please try us again. We always try our best to improve our guests stay, that is why front desk clerk tried to change your smoking room reservation to nonsmoking. Thank you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

This was a Spring Break Trip for me, wife and kiddos age 8 and 5. We stayed Sun-Wed in mid March. The main purpose was a quick trip to visit USH. All of us really love it there and is much cheaper than Legoland or Disney. The hotel is very quaint. It is tucked up under the hillside in Hollywood. The cool thing that I thought about it is that there is one way in and one way out. There is a very small parking garage (free of charge) that you would think would fill up quickly, but we never had any problems finding a parking spot. The rooms are normal HIE rooms and the real selling point is the breakfast in the morning. It was a real value for the money and served the exact purpose of our trip. I would stay there again on another trip to USH.
A couple of negatives though. If you get a room on the freeway side and are a light sleeper, be prepared to wake up alot. However, I just turned on the A/C unit fan and the white noise from that, mostly cancelled the traffic noise. Also, I read somewhere that the hotel has a shuttle to and from USH. That is not true. There may be a shuttle, but it isn't contracted through the hotel, or a hotel van.
USH is always a great theme park for us. My kids really love the Simpsons ride and the Jurassic Park ride. We did these numerous times. From the Studio tour to the Blues Brothers we had a very fun vacation. Thanks for reading. I hope this review helps. Happy Trails.

Room Tip: The traffic side rooms are noisy, but the views are very good. Just turn on the A/C fan to drown out...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank hulkstillrules
We thank you for your review. We do not offer a shuttle, but are a short 10 minute walk to the base of the Studios. They have a shuttle that comes to the base of Universal Studios and takes you up. Maybe this is the Shuttle you read about. Thank you again about your nice comments.
Perth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

Hotel number 2 on our West Coast trip! Another great Holiday Inn Express in my opinion. Very warmly welcomed by Jun on the front desk, very polite, welcomed as a priority member, & upgraded to a Junior suite, he even called our room after 10 minutes to make sure everything was fine for us, really appreciated. The room was great, spotlessly clean & spacious, comfortable beds. We were on the 2nd floor facing the main road but noise was minimal. Breakfast was really good, same choice as in other expresses and no complaints from me there! Got your day off to a good start. Jun on the front desk was great, you can ask him anything and he will help you out. I asked him where the best place was to get a photo with the Hollywood sign and he gave us an address for the satnav, got some great photos close to the sign, would never have found that location otherwise, its a bit of a drive up narrow winding roads but totally worth it!! Universal is roughly a 10 minute walk, basically turn left out of the hotel, walk down to Universal Studios Boulevard, turn right & walk up the hill to Universal & Citywalk. All in all, a great value hotel which was Ideally located for us. (A pat on the back for Jun on the front desk please if management read this!)

Room Tip: I was on the 2nd floor facing the road and the noise was very minimal, I was happy there
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Peoria, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

We stayed here on spring break. My wife and our two children. We got a family suite. The rooms were clean and big. They also had a very nice breakfast the next morning. The staff was very pleasant and helpful.
I would certainly stay here again!
The location was convenient to the attractions we were going to.

Room Tip: If you have kids book the family suite. It is worth the price for separate sleeping areas!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

We stayed here back in Feb after a round the world trip. This seemed like a great base for the 3 days we were there see some of LA. Hotels room was nice,clean and big. They also provided a room service menu which was very reasonable. The Universal City shuttle bus was a great bonus as well. Staff were friendly and very helpful. Would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
San Jose, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

We read some reviews before booking so we knew what to expect but all in all for the price it wasn't bad. The restaurant at the hotel was pretty good there was a shuttle to and from universal studios which took us maybe 10 min to get there. The hotel was close to a grocery store and a rite aid so if you needed to get so something it was within walking distance. The room was a little better than what I expected but nothing special it was clean soft bed no complaints. The only thing which I had read was that there was no solid curtain to block out the green light and you do get some noise from the road. Bottom line if you are looking for something cheaper than the hilton and the Sheraton I would say it is worth a shot. Unless I found a deal at the Hilton or Sheraton I would definitely stay here again. The shuttle for me was a big factor even though a cab couldn't have been that much but just the fact that they had a free shuttle running a convient schedule was nice.

Room Tip: Something away from the road ...if there is any I am not sure
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Vinny102
Raleigh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

The rooms are much nicer than the Holiday Inn Express Hollywood Walk of Fame, which is just down the street. I had to log into the internet, using the hotel's access info every 3 minutes...literally...so I finally gave up. I had asked the front desk about the internet problems twice and both times, they said they would check on it and call me back...which never happened. The front desk staff were cold.

But if I am in need of a hotel in the area, I would choose this one over the walk of fame HI.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
#106 of 347 in Los Angeles
The Garland
#13 of 347 in Los Angeles
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,692 reviews

Been to Tilt Hotel Universal / Hollywood, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Tilt Hotel Universal / Hollywood, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member

Property: Tilt Hotel Universal / Hollywood, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Address: 3241 Cahuenga Blvd W, Los Angeles, CA 90068-1301 (Formerly Clarion Inn)
Region: United States > California > Los Angeles > Central L.A
Business Centre with Internet Access Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
#63 Business Hotel in Los Angeles
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Tilt Hotel Universal / Hollywood, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member 2.5*
Welcome to the Clarion Inn Los Angeles/Universal City! We are centrally located in the Los Angeles area, a very short distance from the studios and theme parks. For the Hollywood tourist, we are one mile from Hollywood and Sunset Boulevard. You can walk to numerous theaters and event centers. For the sports enthusiast, we are within a few miles of Dodger Stadium and the Staples Center. And, for the shopper, we are close to Beverly Hills and Rodeo Drive. Our knowledgeable staff is ready to make your stay perfect. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Choice Hotels, Travelocity.ca, Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Tilt Hotel Universal / Hollywood, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Holiday Inn Express Los Angeles - Universal City - Cahuenga Hotel Los Angeles