“Could have been a lot better”

Tangier Korean Barbecue
Ranked #5,500 of 10,357 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Price range: US$31 - US$40
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Central L.A
Cross street: Los Feliz
Description: Korean BBQ restaurant with authentic Korean cuisine and some Japanese inspired dishes.
Reviewed 25 June 2012

We took advantage of a groupon hoping for a good experience. Although the wait staff was friendly, it took a long time between refills on the meat to cook. Add to that the burner was very weak and there was only one tiny area on it hot enough to actually cook the meat. The veggie plate accompanying the meats was sparce, two button mushrooms, two slices of zucchini, two slices of carrot and two thin slices of Japanese pumpkin. It took so long to cook the veggies we gave up and ate them raw. We finally gave up and went to target to get snacks. We are not heavy eaters either, all of us being average or below average size.

Reviewed 4 June 2012

We came here because we had the deal from Groupon. Our waiter told us we could have anything from the menu, but we went for the all you can eat BBQ. The choices were 3 beef, 1 pork, 1 chicken, a veggie plate and a whole leaf lettuce plate (for wrapping the cooked meat). We went mostly for the beef. The sagari cut was especially good and tender (even more tender than the kalbi), so we ordered most of that. We tried the pork which was flavorful. And just for the heck of it we tried the chicken, which was blah. We think even with full price it is still a good deal since the meat is high quality and it's all you can eat. The carrot slices were a bit of nuisance since they took a long time to cook. Wish they were thinner.

As for service wise, it was great in the beginning. The waiter was attentive and asked if we wanted more meats. But toward the end we were a bit ignored. It was hard to get their attention especially from our corner, the loud ambience contributed to it, too.

The restaurant had a modern and fun anime theme. The staff did a lot of shouting as customers come in and out and in between! Our area had a huge and quirky chandelier and a wall of funky ever-changing lighting. Even though there was an exhaust built around the grill, be prepared to smell of BBQ when you walk out. It was nice that they had their own parking space in the back of the building, and it was free.

Reviewed 24 September 2011

My husband and I have been to this restaurant at least four times. We love going back to Tangier because of their great & tasty food. I have been to several Korean BBQ places and this place not only has great food but great ambiance, great service and the prices are way reasonable.

One I can say bad about this place is that the servers constantly greet their customers in a loud & almost shouting way. There is no way you can have a quiet conversation here because of the noise. But other than that, you are guaranteed to have a great meal.

Enjoy!

Reviewed 14 August 2011

Los Angeles offers plenty of good Korean barbeque restaurants, but most of them have bland settings and indifferent service. Tangier is a fun alternative. Don't miss it. It's located in the funky Hillhurst section of Los Feliz, home to screenwriters, artists and other creative sorts of people. The food is excellent, especially if you happen to like grilled meat. But the standout feature is the crazy decor. They've turned this restaurant into an homage to Japanese anime, with life sized cartoon characters and scenes from classic Japanese cartoons on the walls. The wait staff is young and eager to serve you. They will do their best to make sure you have an enjoyable dinner, even helping you manage the grilling of the food. I've eaten at Tangier with family, friends and business associates and everyone has enjoyed it immensely. You really can't go wrong.... unless you are a vegetarian! Don't miss the calamari: they do a tempura-style version of fried calamari that is excellent.

Reviewed 9 July 2011

ok, I'm all for creating atmosphere but the loud shouting by the servers and staff every 5 minutes was a little annoying. My husband read a review in the LA Times so we thought we'd give it a shot. The place was empty when we got there and slowly started to get busy. As every customer came in they shouted, they shouted all the time. For everything. I was literally jumping in my seat.
The seafood pancake was pretty bland. I took the majority of it home since I don't like to waste food and they included the sauce they forgot to serve. We got the all you can eat meat course. The veggies did not cook well on the grill and took a long time. They had no seasoning whatsoever. The Kalbi is the best, don't bother with the other meats. The side dishes were standard fare. Overall not impressed, if I want real BBQ, I'll stick to Koreatown