“Gem of a Hole in the Wall Chinese Restaurant”
Review of Hu's Szechwan

Hu's Szechwan
Ranked #1,498 of 11,900 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Lunch, Delivery
Neighbourhood: Westside
Reviewed February 1, 2017

I walked to this location and the restaurant was just opening, and was a bit cool inside. The owner unnecessarily apologized and gave us complementary hot soup. Wonderful shrimp and egg rolls. Delicately cooked Chinese food in an unassuming storefront good for eat in or take outs. I would go back again.

Reviewed January 12, 2017

I have yet to find a Chinese Restaurant on the Westside that beats Hu's With the variety of food offered and the excellent service you cannot ask for more.

Reviewed August 22, 2016

I go to this restaurant for many years and I finally decided to write a review as it is one of my favorite Chinese restaurant (not too many left unfortunately). Little corner place, nothing fancy, you need to bring your own beer or wine if you want some as they do not have a liquor license (liquor store next to the restaurant, so practical and cheaper). Menu is fairly simple with traditional Chinese dishes, one of my favorites are the garlic pork (also available with beef, chicken or shrimp), Kung Pao, orange beef, beef broccoli,.... but the ultimate is the szechuan wontons appetizers (12 pieces a portion), it is one of the best I ever had, made onsite as you can see the staff prepping them and rolling them, super fresh with a exquisite sauce. Very generous in meat stuffing (many of other restaurant do not), it is worth the drive just for this dish. Staff is extremely nice, family own place, and pretty cheap (around $12 per person), i always do feel welcome to be there, my son sometimes seat with the owner to roll his own wontons, this is the type of place. Menu around $10/$12 available with large choices. It is very hard to get good Chinese food in Los Angeles, driving to Chinatown is far from where I leave and I do not think it is very good anyway. Parking next to restaurant.

Reviewed May 10, 2016

The food is very good and the staff is vert attentive to your needs. We come here as often as we can...that;s how much we love this place. We have tried other Chinese restaurants within a 5 mile radius and this one is by far the best.

Love the dumplings, the twice cooked prk, the spicy eggplant...and the mushu!

Please do not miss this place if you are in the 9004 and looking for good Chinese food...

GPL

Reviewed September 29, 2015

My family and I love this place. Too bad they do not take my AMEX.

Although they raised their prices and some people on YELP are not too fond of this I still patronize this place because the food is good the service is great and the owners and staff are very friendly and generous. I am told that they have not raied the prices over the past 5-10 years which I believe.

I honestly think you cannot go wrong with anything on the menu.

I prefer to order al la carte rather than the dinner specials. Between my spouse and I we can order three dishes and that is plenty for us with a little to take home.

Please don't miss this place. It is a gem to visit.