“France in West LA”

Price range: US$5 - US$25
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Westside
Description: Soleil Westwood has now closed permanently. Thank you all. Luc. Soleil Westwood, a fixture of the neighborhood for over 10 years, sits proudly on the corner of Westwood Boulevard and Wilkins Avenue. Although it’s known primarily for its French cuisine, its roots are from Quebec. Executive Chef and Owner, Luc Alarie grew up in Val-d’Or before moving to Montreal to study at the Institute of Tourism and Hotels. Arriving in Los Angeles over 22 years ago, he fell in love with the city. Having long worked as a waiter and manager at various places in the city, he decided to open his own restaurant, Soleil Westwood.Whether stopping in for a quick lunch during the week, enjoying a relaxing leisurely brunch on the weekend, or spending time over dinner with family or friends, Soleil offers something for everyones’ taste. Choose from a various array of dishes featured on the menu as well as the Chef’s daily specials. Plus, the wine menu and beers of the world selection will aim to please.
Reviewed January 30, 2018

Soleil's owner is French Canadian, but apart from the poutines (cheese-smothered dishes) the menu is basically bistro-fare French, wonderfully executed. You can have a snack, brunch, lunch or dinner and you will always come out content.You can even actually sit on a (protected) terrace and people-watch! The omelettes are thick and fulfilling, the crepes are varied, with great fillings, the steaks are perfectly cooked and the French fries are thin, delicious and crispy. The salads are well prepared and the wine list is modest but well appointed. The noise level is acceptable and service is polite, courteous and friendly. Definitely a great place in Westwood..

Date of visit: January 2018
1  Thank macorzo2016
Luc A, Owner at Soleil Westwood, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2018

Merci! Thank you for taking the time to write a review. My staff and I really appreciate your comments. Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed January 7, 2018

My husband and I have been having date nights here for years, and absolutely love it. The food is so beautifully prepared and authentic, and the staff always make us feel at home. A family favorite, highly recommend.

Date of visit: January 2018
1  Thank klmmd2018
Luc A, Owner at Soleil Westwood, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2018

We try our best for everyone, but especially our regular visitors. Merci, Luc!

Reviewed December 16, 2017 via mobile

The ambiance is casual, but the service is top-notch.
We stopped in more or less on a whim after pulling out of rush hour traffic on the 405 wearing shorts and sandals.
My friend had the duck and I had the sole special and an eggplant starter. Perfectly cooked.
Not a whiff of pretension and filled with what looked to be regular customers.
I liked the references to Pont-Jacques-Cartier and Quebec on the menu!

Date of visit: December 2017
1  Thank M G M
Luc A, Owner at Soleil Westwood, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2017

You are more than welcome to become one of the 'regulars'! Merci, Luc.

Reviewed October 2, 2017

My family and I ducked in for a quick bite before catching a movie in Westwood. We ordered a bottle of wine and perused the menu. My wife and I had eaten a late lunch so we weren't up for a full entre-sized meal. The wine came and I usually forgo the ritual of tasting a splash before the pour. I haven't had a bad bottle of wine in a long time and I feel the tradition of tasting the wine is overrated especially on bottles under $50 bucks. Unfortunately, the Chardonnay had turned. We got the waiters attention and told him so. He huffed a bit and said that he wouldn't have poured the 3 glasses if I didn't like the wine. It wasn't that I didn't LIKE it, it was not drinkable. He later agreed but I was a little miffed.

No water or bread at the table until we asked for it. Once it did arrive the bread was half fresh and half stale or toasted which I couldn't tell since there were no browning marks on the bread. It was odd.

We ordered two flambee tomato soups, some frits, the Pont Jacques Cartier (tomatoes, beets, burrata cheese and mixed greens) along with the Steak a La Christine (medium rare). We sort of got the stink eye from our waiter as if we were not ordering a conventional coursed meal. That's always an awkward situation. They waiter lives on the tips so they want you to load up that bill. I get it but I'm not going to order food and have it sit on my plate. He kind of gave us a "Hrumph". By the way, I think he was covering a lot of tables. So maybe he was frustrated overall.

The soup came out, mine was wrong (Lentel). I sent that back. Since the boy was hungry I told him to start. He enjoyed it.

Meanwhile, an order of frits (fries) arrived and were great. Not too hard to screw those up. My soup eventually arrived. It was piping hot but good once it cooled down. The salad and the steak came to the table shortly after that. I did not share in the steak but my wife said it was good. It came with more frits (fries) and gravy. My salad was dismal. I did not finish it. I have been spoiled by the local farmers market beets and tomatoes I'm afraid. I guess I just expected more.

One more note...our waiter was sweating profusely which didn't add to the overall appeal of our meal.

Date of visit: October 2017
1  Thank pkeenan
Reviewed October 2, 2017

Not having visited Soleil in a great while we decided to return this last weekend. Greeted by Luke, the owner, and promptly seated. I started with some pate, served with cornichons and salad and went on to have the Steak a la Christine served with peppercorn sauce, scalloped potatoes and veg. My husband had the duck a la orange.
It was HUGE. Practically an entire duck - very crispy . Had to bring half home as he was so full. Staff are attentive and Luke comes by to chat at intervals. Always feel welcome here. Prices are reasonable. Valet parking for $7 a nice addition since there is never any street parking close by.

Date of visit: October 2017
1  Thank CRM13
Luc A, Owner at Soleil Westwood, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2017

Merci. See you soon.