“Great for dinner- try the lamb”

The Great Greek Restaurant and Taverna
Reserve with OpenTable
The Great Greek Restaurant and Taverna is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #626 of 11,892 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Price range: US$18 - US$30
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Universal City Area
Reviewed August 26, 2018

Had dinner here on a week night early as we had to a flight to catch at the burbank airport.
We had a good table by the window.
We ordered the grilled octopus and it was prepared in a way I have not had it before . It was tender and tasty.
We also had the saganaki and it was delicious.
The manager recommended the roast lamb which I ordered and my wife ordered the keftathakia and pasta.
My lamb was lean and tender. only thing that would have improved it was some gravy from the lamb like my Mom would cook it.
My wife enjoyed her meal.
Portions were generous.

We were too full for dessert. If we stayed past 7 we could have heard the live music but we had a flight to catch.

If I ever have to go to Sherman Oaks again I would eat lunch or dinner here.

Reviewed July 26, 2018 via mobile

We were staying in an Air BnB nearby and ended up eating here 3 out of 5 nights we were there. Food was delicious- huge portions, varied menu and classic Greek! Service from staff was fantastic. Would highly recommend a visit!

Reviewed June 20, 2018 via mobile

Noisy crowded uneven food but what the heck you came with you family or group to enjoy and laugh all the rest is just....well the rest

Reviewed April 8, 2018

I am half Greek and I was SO excited to try this restaurant on Orthodox Greek Easter.

I went into the restaurant and I was immediately asked if I was here to pick up for Doordash/Postmates. I said, "No, I am half Greek and I would like to celebrate Greek Easter and dine in." They told me they were all booked up (there were a ton of tables).

So they sat me at the bar. And they told me, "Oh you can still eat here and drink whatever you want." And I said, "Oh, I won't be drinking." I was hung over from the night before...

Then they told me I couldn't sit there and be served there. Didn't say why. But they told me I could do a to-go order and I thought, "no saganaki is not the same when it's to go."

So I left.

I called my mom so upset. I was looking forward to this for over a month and she gave me money as my Easter gift to eat there.

She called the restaurant and they told her that I told them I was not 21 and could not be at the bar. Which is a lie. They didn't ask me to see my I.D. that CLEARLY states I am 25 years old.

I was beyond furious. I drove over 40 mins to get there. They were rude and as a half Greek, I was very disappointed in how I was treated.

Reviewed April 5, 2018

The staff and the customers seem have a unique shared good time at this venerable spot in the valley. I have been going there for 30 years and am NEVER disappointed. A must for valley dining. Great atmosphere and great food.