“good, but jury is still out.”
Review of Vien Cafe

Vien Cafe
Ranked #4,849 of 11,727 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed November 3, 2014

I am always looking for good authentic Asian restaurant on the west side. So when my friend recommended this place and it's somewhat close to us, we decided to try it out. It is a closer drive than to Noodle World (Westwood) for my comfort food, noodle soup. So this is by far the most expensively Pho Dac Biet/combo Pho I've had. The soup was very good, they definitely did not skim on the ingredients. But I thought the broth was a bit on the saltier side. I believe that the location dictates the higher prices. We also tried the fried Chicken egg rolls, It was good though not exceptional. And the other fried noodle dish was Pho Bo Xao, basically stirred fried rice noodle with marinated, it tastes a little bit like Pat see U / Pad Thai. We went there at around 4pm and there were other customers, But the lay out was a little strange. The walkway into the dining room was so narrow, it's definitely a one way traffic. I don't think our waiter smile once, But the place is clean, minimalist/modern decor which I like.... I think I will go back and try other rice or noodle dishes, but I don't think I would spend $9 for a Bahn Mi sandwich where it costs less than $4 at Lee's sandwich.

Reviewed August 20, 2014

The pho was good and unlike a lot of pho places the meat didn't taste as if the beef had been boiled until all the flavor had left it and was included as an afterthought, but had flavor that paired well with the soup. I think this would be a good way for people unfamiliar with Vietnamese food to dip their toes in a safe environment, it was clean the staff was nice and the decor was simple but defined.

Though if you planning on coming in a group that will want to do separate checks, there may be some issues. We were a medium size group, but were told by the waiter that they would only split the check 4 ways which of course caused us to have to figure out amongst ourselves how to pay the bill and who would owe whom how much. We of course were able to figure it out, but I would definitely think of going someplace else in a large group meeting up for lunch as it was inconvenient.

Otherwise the food seemed good and everyone was happy with their meals.

Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed with friends in Souht Carthay for an overnight business trip. They are regulars at Vien and wanted me to try it. Tasty, freshly prepared and nicely presented food. Not your average noodle joint. Hip decor (could use a little sound baffles due to hard surfaces). Staff are friendly and welcoming. We will definitely return.

Located on busy Pico Blvd it is easy to drive by if you are not paying attention.