“Disappointment”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Westside
Cross street: 405 FWY
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Buggy Whip in Ladera Heights was recently sold. I was really disappointed in the new menu and the food. The only item on the menu that reminded me of the restaurant that I have loved for over 30 years was the green goddess salad dressing. The filet of sole was bland. French fries were under cooked and prices have gone up. The serve staff was conscientious, but kept making mistakes. No more stone crabs, cioppino, beef ribs. Soooooo sad.

2  Thank Lindza

Reviewed 27 June 2013

I always go to the Buggy Whip when in LA. This time yesterday was different. My wife was in LA for the first time and I wanted to take her for an experience that I remember. I was wrong. The place was not being maintained. We were seated right away in the lounge with a singer doing his best, but was too loud. First issue was happy hour was valid at the bar, but not at a table 10 feet away. They no longer serve the clam chowder, so I tried the lobster bisque. Thick but no detectable lobster. My ribeye was supposed to be 18 oz but looked a bit "light" although it was cooked as ordered. Difficult to cut. My garlic mashed potatoes were pasty. I guess my prior review has been overcome by events. :-(. An institution has changed.

1  Thank HalVan
Reviewed 28 May 2013

This place used to be great. The generous portions couldn't obscure the mediocre food and questionable service. The prime rib was good but lukewarm and shaped like it was cut with a hedge trimmer. The green goddess dressing--their specialty--was very salty and fishy. It looked like one of the servers had her parents and baby in one booth and our waiter barely spoke English. It looks like they updated the naugahyde upholstered booths for the "Sensa" commercial filmed there but the ceiling was on the verge of collapsing. Too many issues for the price.

1  Thank Mick E
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Went to Biggy Whip with a small group and the only one who said everything was excellent was the person who ordered only seafood. Lobster Bisque - excellent, Scallops - excellent, four of us ordered the Rib Eye and not one of them were the same cut of meat. Mine was cooked perfectly to medium rare but came to the table on the verge of being cold. The others had completely different cuts and two of them said their steak was tough and tasteless - certainly not common for a rib eye. Starter salads were over dressed and was a little sparse, just lettuce some cabbage and croutons that were all soaked in dressing. The dessert however, was excellent. Well, the creme brule, chocolate mousse, and tiramisu were. One in our party ordered cheesecake but there was none left. Who runs out of cheesecake? Service was alright, when they were at the table. Me made a reservation and were seating quickly, however, it took quite a long time for anyone to come take our drink order, then took even longer to get the drinks, and...well, you get my drift. I don't know if they are understaffed, but its not very efficient.

So, if you are looking for great steak you may want to try somewhere else, but the seafood was excellent. I've read some of the reviews and seems that the prime ribs is always good, so the beefeaters out there might want to go for that instead.

Reviewed 5 January 2013

I stop here EVERYTIME I'm in LA. A short drive from LAX. You can stand up a spoon in the chouder and enjoy a great prime rib....get here a little early for happy hour