InterContinental Los Angeles Century City
Ranked #12 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Melbourne VIC
“Reliable”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Second stay at this hotel. Being an Ambassador (Platinum) I stay here because of this loyalty programme and because under that loyalty programme the benefits outweigh staying anywhere else. I like the solitude of the location and yet it is handy to anywhere and on the hop-on-hop-off bus route if you want to sightsee. A 5-10 minute walk to Century City shops and cinemas, 25 min taxi ride to Hollywood/Bevely Hills (traffic permitting).
I like being able to check-in at 8.30am and be told my room is ready and upgraded. I also like being offerred the choice to take my own bags to the room or have someone take them for me. I especially like the welcome and the efficient check-in.
Hotel room was okay, not much light in the bathroom and an incredibly noisy air con unit but the bed and pillows were comfortable, the ability to work in the room was okay and the daily service was fine.
I had room service breakfast twice and on both occassions felt it was adequate rather than great - unfortunately at almost $30 there is no value.
This is a reliable hotel that will meet most expectations, staff are friendly and attentive. For me it was an unremarkable stay - and thats exactly how i wanted it.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We love this hotel. We always stay in a suite whenever we visit and the staff is amazing. They know us and remember us from visit to visit. They are very child friendly and the rooms are incredibly delightful. The beds are very comfortable. I'm not a huge fan of LA in general, but this hotel makes coming back enticing. The only part of the hotel that could use some assistance is the restaurant service in the main dining room. The breakfasts take at least 45 minutes after you order- which is somewhat ridiculous. They do however offer a full Japanese breakfast, which we love, and is perhaps worth the wait.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
bakersfield, CA
Reviewed 22 March 2012

In town for the L.A. Marathon, used priceline and rec'd a great deal!! Room was beautiful, but parking was 36.60 per day..ouch. The staff was attentive. Had dinner at the hotel and food wasn't that great, but service was excellent. Before going down for dinner, we decided what we would have based on the room service menu. For whatever reason, the bar area didn't serve the same menu as the room service?? ONE BIG PROBLEM** went to leave for the marathon at 5:00 a.m., hotel valet brought the car around and I got into the drivers seat..had to jump out.. HE ACTUALLY FARTED IN THE CAR..IT WAS SO GROSS AND I WAS BEYOND MAD!! It didn't go away for a long time..had to shampoo the car seat..NOT KIDDING.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Los Angeles
Reviewed 14 March 2012

I love the location of this hotel as its rather close to a mall and movie theatre. The interior design is well thought out and it was extremely clean.

Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Great physical facility, location and rooms. This hotel is not what it used to be, as the former JW Marriott and Park Hyatt. Under the “reign” as opposed to “stewardship” of InterContinental, it is a shadow of what it once was.

Five stars are you crazy? A five star hotel has a clear sense of identity. This one is suffering from a severe identity crisis. They have run off most of the American clientele, except for conventioneers. There are many guests now from overseas that are vacationing mixed in with business travellers, conventioneers and during my stay, shockingly, gaudy gold buying companies that you would expect at a Radisson or Holiday Inn. So you get everything from tourists enjoying sight seeing in Los Angeles, to the few (relative to days of old) American business travellers to gaudy gold buyers allowed to hang their oversize and hideous signs just outside the “Spa.” I want to be clear that I enjoyed meeting the variety of guests there and even giving them pointers on where to “star gaze.” That was not the issue per se. The problem is that a hotel with five star status is either a top notch full service resort (which this hotel is not) or it is a reliable consistent higher end business destination (again, not so. They don’t even have a business center and send business clients to Kinko’s—seriously?). The best five star hotels can actually meet the needs of both vacationing and business clientele seamlessly.

The food also is suffering an identity crisis, consisting of ridiculously expensive, tiny and fussily arranged dishes, steaks that are tiny and leathery (I’ve had much better at Marriott’s under-rated mid-level hotels). And the Spa, built by the former Park Hyatt has treatment rooms that are unparalleled anywhere else I have been in the States. In addition, their staff for the most part, and treatment therapists are also excellent. However, the hotel, trying to discover another identity, has opened the spa doors to local clientele (I suspect trying to compete with the toney but overdone Equinox down the street). This has clogged the “Fitness Center” day and night and made the Spa largely unavailable to hotel guests, especially the business clientele that are in meetings all day and have limited openings in their schedules. I’ve never been to a Spa where I began to feel they’d rather I just go home than walk in seeking another treatment. Though they claim hotel guests have priority, this is very, very far from the case.

The only consistent identity this hotel has is one of getting every penny in every way conceivable and some inconceivable--and keeping rooms full, full, full no matter what the cost to their guests and hard working employees (the hotel is also pretty soundly understaffed). Twice they sent up a room service disaster. Apologies were in short supply and God forbid they would consider “comping” anyone for anything. I had to go round and round. The first time the best I could do was ask for the order to be remade, nearly two hours after I had initially ordered my meal. The second time a front desk manager with a title but no apparent discretionary judgment, told me to talk to the room service manager. I objected to having an alleged manager send a guest to talk to another manager. The front desk manager finally caved and “comped” part of the meal. This is cheesy stuff, not even the stuff of four stars.

The best thing about the hotel by far is the staff. With just a few exceptions, I’m not talking about the bean counters at the front desk or the Director of Ops/GM whose sole purpose in life is to get that fifth star--guests and his extraordinary staff be damned. I find the reviews of this hotel highly suspicious and out of touch--more lop-sided and odd than any other set of reviews I’ve read on this site.

The reviewer was right about the bills here. I actually sent my last two to be reviewed by my CPA. They seriously abused my credit card.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms on East Side have great views of Downtown Los Angels, Wilshire District and the f...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank LaughLat
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Los Angeles Century City, responded to this review, 31 March 2012
LaughLat,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Ben J
IHG Care
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 10 March 2012

This hotel is a far cry from what it once was as the Park Hyatt and former JW Marriott. The facilities themselves are exceptional, though in need of better maintenance. The location is excellent and most room layouts extraordinary. However under the "reign" (as opposed to "stewardship") of InterContinental all I can say is... Five stars are you crazy?

A five star hotel has a clear sense of identity. This one is suffering from a severe identity crisis. They have run off most of the American clientele, except for conventioneers. There are many guests now from overseas that are vacationing mixed in with business travellers, conventioneers and during my stay, shockingly, gaudy gold buying companies that you would expect at a Radisson or Holiday Inn. So you get everything from tourists shopping and enjoying sight seeing in Los Angeles, to the few (relative to days of old) American business travellers to gaudy gold buyers allowed to hang their oversized and hideous signs just outside the “Spa.”

I want to be clear that I enjoyed meeting the increasing variety of guests there and even giving them pointers on where to “star gaze.” That was not the issue per se. The problem is that a hotel with five star status is either a top notch full service resort (which this hotel is not) or it is a reliable consistent higher end business destination (again, not so--they do not even have a business center, but send guests to Kinko's--seriously?). The best five star hotels can pull off BOTH seamlessly, attending to all the needs of various clientele.

The food also is suffering an identity crisis, now consisting of ridiculously expensive, tiny and fussily arranged dishes, steaks that are like now also tiny and leathery (I’ve had much better at Marriott’s under-rated mid-level hotels). And the Spa, built by the former Park Hyatt has treatment rooms that are unparalleled anywhere else I have been in the States. In addition, their staff for the most part, and treatment therapists are also excellent. However, the hotel, trying to discover another identity (read "identity" as generate even more revenue), has opened the Spa doors to local clientele (I suspect trying to compete with the tony but overdone Equinox down the street). This has clogged the “Fitness Center” day and night and made the Spa largely unavailable to hotel guests, especially the business clientele that are in meetings all day and have limited openings in their schedules. I’ve never been to a Spa where I began to feel they’d rather I just go home than walk in seeking another treatment. Though they claim hotel guests have priority, it became clear very quickly that this was not the case.

The only consistent identity this hotel has now, is one of getting every penny in every way conceivable and some inconceivable--and keeping rooms full, full, full no matter what the cost to their guests and hard working employees (the hotel is also pretty soundly understaffed). One night they sent up a room service disaster. Apologies were in short supply and God forbid they would consider “comping” anyone for anything. I had to go round and round. And the best I could do was ask for the order to be remade, nearly two hours after I had initially ordered my meal.

The best thing about the hotel that remains, however tenuously, is by far the staff. And I’m not talking about the bean counters at the front desk or the GM whose sole purpose in life is to get that fifth star, guests and his extraordinary staff be damned. (For what he has done to this once very special hotel, I’d like him to see stars all right.) I find the reviews of this hotel highly suspicious and out of sync with what is actually going on there. I agree with the reviewer about the bills. I actually handed my last one over to my CPA--I'm not kidding.

Room Tip: Try to avoid "parlor room" which are the "L" shaped rooms mentioned in another r...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank LahFlawOnTheMove
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Los Angeles Century City, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
LahFlawOnTheMove,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. We’re sorry that you received service that was less-than-satisfactory. It is IHG's goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Ben J
IHG Care
Livingston, New Jersey
Reviewed 3 March 2012

From the moment you arrive at the front door you are greeted by seemingly a team of greeters, one that grabs each door of your car and lets passengers out, while others head for your luggage. They make you feel like a celebrity, holding the doors for your and calling you Mr. ____. There was a bellman who was assigned to us and stayed with us through the very short check in process and up to the room. Explaining all the features of the hotel and giving you a run down of the neighborhood as well. I recognized that all of the bellman and entire entry team are connected with wires to their ears (like secret service agents) obviously organizing everything to make your check in and arrival every time you come downstairs or back after a night on the town seamless. The hotel is beautiful and the lobby area is extremely welcoming. Each night they even had live music in the lobby, and a sushi bar set up. My wife commented that it was by far the best sushi she has ever had.

Our room itself was decent in size with 2 double beds. Our view was incredible with a direct veranda staring at the famous Hollywood sign on the mountain. The beds were very comfortable, but the pillows were not great. I regret not asking for new ones, because I am sure they would have sent them up. The bathroom amenities kit was superior with high end shampoos and lotions. 2 Robes hung in the closet, and there was a sticked mini bar (albeit very expensive). Keurig machine in room with complimentary coffee.

The outdoor heated pool area is very nice, and there was a service phone on the pool deck, that if you lifted it up there was a team of culinary experts waiting to take your order and bring anything you desire (food and drink) to you poolside.

We were only there for two nights so we didn't get to use the spa, but those guests who did were raving.

Overall the staff is the absolute best I have ever experienced, and I truly can not understand how this is not a 5 star hotel. They treat everyone like a celebrity, and made our stay exceptional.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
#2 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Downtown
Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)

Been to InterContinental Los Angeles Century City? Share your experiences!