“Almost Perfection”

Cuisines: French
Neighbourhood: Hollywood
Neighbourhood: Hollywood
Reviewed February 8, 2018 via mobile

I have been wanting to eat at Petit Trois since it opened but did not have (or make) the opportunity to do so until now. One of my dining companions lived many years in France and wanted an authentic bistro experience, having already been blown away by their sister restaurant in Silver City-Trois Familia.

Let me be clear that I really wanted to rate our experience 4.5 stars but this is not an option and we came just a tad short of 5 stars.

We arrived one Saturday afternoon to be seated right away. The start of fresh real French baguette, thin, crispy crust, soft interior with creamy salted butter is harder to find than one might think. Delish.

The French onion soup looked amazing so I started with that. Unfortunately this was a miss. Yes expectations were very high but the broth lacked flavour and depth which was not made up by the beautiful cheese crust nor the onions inside the pot. Better than many I have had but not the best and that was the consensus of the group.

Fortunately everything was up from there. The classic omelet made with Boursin (as Ludo Lefebvre calls it “French velveeta ”) was textbook with a beautiful butter lettuce salad. Someone was hedging there bets for desert!?

Another classic arrived, a gorgeous steak frite, a delight to the eye but even better in the mouth. Perfectly prepared medium rare and smothered in a generous potion of peppercorn cream sauce that had a wonderful peppery flavour without over powering the cream. The potion of sauce allowed for plenty of extra to dip the beautiful thin hot frites in the excess. Really one of the best I have tasted.

I believe the piece-de-resistance was the steak tartare. Perfectly prepared, finely chopped and seasoned (loved the briny capers), the generous mound was covered in a layer of crispy fried shallots that not only complemented the flavours but added a beautiful textural element to the dish. Accompanied, again, by a awesome piece of bread, toasted and drenched in butter this was a full and satisfying meal when finished with a generous slathering of mustard from the little pot on every table.

Service was very professional but attention to our needs a bit slow and our order for additional toast (for the tartare) was forgotten. Minor but a small contributor to the “lost” 1/2 star in the rating.

Overall, worth the wait and a delightful afternoon with great food and better company. Loved it.

Reviewed February 6, 2018

Superb for lunch. Always wonderful. No tables, just stools. Opens at noon. No reservations. Lunch and dinner seven days a week. Great service, friendly staff. Fried chicken leg with salad, salmon, pasta, steak tartare for three guests. All outstanding. Love to come here when visiting family who lives nearby.

Reviewed January 30, 2018

First off, the food is a five, the room is barstools facing the wall or the kitchen...hence the four overall. BUT, let's get to the food...The Burger, excellent meat, extremely tasty, however I felt the "dark" sauce was a bit overbearing. Steak Frites, just plain excellent. Crab Cake, I really found it a bit sour, but my wife said "best she ever had". Cocktails were masterful and perfectly crafted. Dessert was the Paris Brest, and WOW is the only word to come to mind. Really enjoyed the meal, just not the seating...and the pricing is a bit over the top, it is a burger after all...HOWEVER, we will go again as we NEED to try the omelette!!

Reviewed January 27, 2018 via mobile

I really wanted to love this place.... I travel a ton and eat at James Beard restaurants regularity. Mostly on business but often with my family. We are European and my kids have a very mature palette, they have no problems eating out in Paris, Rome, Copenhagen or New York, but apparently in LA it’s not easy to get good service for a family with big kids on a Saturday night.

From the moment we entered Petit Trois I got the vibe that this was a cool date place, not a regular neighborhood French Bistro. The maitre d was discouraging about the amount wait, underlying message was clearly we don’t know how to seat a family of four. Two other parties that arrived 20 minutes after us were seated ahead and omission was feigned when I pointed it out.

Finally we sit and the further disappointment begins: the food was not at all to the standard I expect, mussels were average, Nicoise tasteless and the best part about the confit chicken leg was the pile of frisée salad on top. For a guy that runs chicken restaurants in town I expected more.
Honestly the only above average thing we were served was the old fashioned, so cheers to the bartender.

Throughout the meal the waiter kept referring to us as “the family” which leads me to believe he’s never seen one during dinner service at Petite Trois before. What a loss. I’m in LA a lot and this could have become a regular go to spot. Alas I’ll be looking for another bistro in town, sorry Ludo.

Reviewed January 11, 2018

We were in LA for a long weekend and decided to try this highly recommended cafe and only had to wait about 30 minutes for seating for 3. The cafe is tiny with no tables only 2 bars and the menu is limited but I think anything you order will be delicious. We ordered BURGUNDY ESCARGOTS, the omelet, and the burger-- and shared each dish. The escargot was my favorite with their wonderful bread but each dish was well done and delicious. The staff was wonderful-- it appears that each server is responsible for each guest and so there is always someone to answer a question or to fill a water glass-- actually it is surprising how many staff members there are for such a small place.

It was a delightful meal and I look forward to going back.