“Lakers Game”

Ranked #9 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Richmond, Virginia
“Lakers Game”
Reviewed 8 March 2012

A friend and I booked our room thought a discount website. I was shocked when we were allowed to check in early..told there was a courtsey shuttle ( a limo) that would take us to and from the Staples Center and treated like Platinum members.
The room was beautiful, clean, with a great view. I have stayed at other quality hotels in downtown LA..but none compare to the Omni.
The staff from front desk to doorman were gracious, informative and actually smiled and meant it!
Thank you for a PERFECT stay!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Liestal, Switzerland
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I was there alone for 5 days. The Location is very Bad. But the Hotel is very Good and clean. I wont suggest people to Rest in downtown LA. It's a scarry area. Be careful.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank aida_b1
OmniMgrLosAngeles, Executive Office at Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. Please rest assured that the hotel is safe for our guests, and we do have security here on property on a 24-hour schedule. We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back soon.
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2012

We had a lovely stay here in september 2010. We thought it was really nice and it's very close to the 'underground' station so travelling around LA was really easy. We went to Hollywood, Univesal Studio's and Long Beach on the underground and we felt safe though some of the charaters there were quite unusual.
The hotel is suited to business types but we did enjioy it. There is a nice bar behind the hotel whcih serve the BEST nachos we've had EVER had and is full people having after work drinks who loved the fact we had English accents and were very friendly.

Room Tip: I think they will all be very nice!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Beautifully newly renovated hotel. A great home away from home in downtown Los Angeles. The king bed was so comfortable and the furnishings were beautiful. The hotel restaurant is great too!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Candiland-Love
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I have been travelling to Los Angeles for about 35 years. In the past, any level-headed visitor would avoid downtown Los Angeles at any cost. With the building of LA Live! this has changed. Downtown LA has come to life, with people on the street after dark, interesting restaurants, well-preserved architecture and the very convenient subway.

The Omni is smack in the middle of all that is interesting in downtown LA...it is definitely the best value for money available anywhere in the greater LA area. The hotel is beautifully fitted, the staff and service excellent and the room comfortable.

The only issue is the cost of valet parking at the hotel...as high as $40 per day during the week...but this is not unusual in LA...for those staying on the weekend, parking is permitted on the street...and is free.

The hotel is very, very highly recommended...would not stay anywhere else in LA.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank mrbear
UK
Reviewed 2 March 2012

I'll explain the unusual review title in a short while.

This is indeed a superb downtown LA hotel and one which I can wholeheartedly recommend.

When I arrived at the hotel, although the one person on duty was taking part in a conversation between another guest and the concierge, she immediately acknowledged my presence and withdrew from the other interaction as quickly as she could. Can't ask for more than that.

Check-in was smooth and very personable. I was staying on loyalty points from the UK's Avios scheme and having heard that some hotels treated similar guests as second-class citizens, I didn't know what to expect. I couldn't have been more delighted, as not only did that not seem to make one jot of difference, I was even offered a better type of bed.

My room was on the 15th floor too, which is a high floor and although it was next to the elevators, you couldn't hear one squeak from those. Excellent! The room and bathroom were both large. My first memory on entering the room was the bed. Has to be highest bed I've ever seen. You almost needed a step to climb up onto it. And it was very comfortable. The temperatures in LA in February fluctuate from mid 20s C to around 5c. The air con/heating coped well with this. The in-room Internet was fast and reliable. There is also a small "business centre" off the foyer, in which you can print off boarding passes free of charge.

The bathroom was well lit with a good supply of quality towels and bath products. There was lots of storage space too beneath and around the sink. I've not been able to give this hotel five stars for two reasons - and here's the first reason. On two of the four mornings, the hot water was only luke warm when I came to shower. Now this surprised me in a hotel of this stature. I can only guess that, on these two occasions, I was showering at the same time as other guests, though I can't recall that being a problem at other hotels. On the other two days though, the water was piping hot and with a good water pressure.

The hotel is just a short one-block walk from the nearest Metro (underground) station. Head out of the main entrance, turn right and walk down the hill, turn left across the road at the first set of lights and a short way down that street on the right is the entrance to the Pershing Square station, down a long escalator. There is no need to walk another block down to Pershing Square itself.

I only ever ate at the cafe that is used for breakfast/lunch - each morning and for one lunch. I actually ordered off the breakfast menu, rather than opting for the buffet. The food was well prepared and tasty and not too expensive for a hotel of this calibre. The steak I had for lunch was also excellent and very good value for money. And now to the other reason for not awarding a fifth star. On two of the mornings, although I was promptly seated for breakfast, it was about 10 minutes before my order was taken. For some reason, on those two mornings, having sat down, I became invisible. The restaurant was never busy and my own observations suggest that the team on those two days weren't as coordinated as the others.

I twice ordered an evening meal from room service. I had only intended to do this the first night of my stay, but as it was so good, I had no qualms about ordering again from the wide-ranging menu. The food arrived well within the promised time, was served piping hot by a very personable employee, and looked and tasted excellent too.

And now to the title of this review. Everyday, the housekeeping team would ensure that you were left with a full set of hotel-provided bath products. I had brought my own tube of toothpaste - one of those trial/travel size tubes. It was running out and I had a spare tube in my case. So I was surprised and delighted to see that, on returning to my room on the last-but-one day, a new travel-sized tube of toothpaste (still in its carton) had been left in the bathroom. Not only that, it was the same brand as I'd brought with me! I'm sure the brand-match was a coincidence, but what a lovely touch!

Check out was quick and - for some reason which I can't explain - the receptionist removed the Internet charges from my bill. I hadn't asked for this, nor expected it. I had mentioned that my return to the UK was being delayed by a day due to the snow back in London, so I was relocating to another hotel in Hollywood, so maybe this was a gesture of goodwill from the hotel to make up for that inconvenience - thought that wasn't their fault. Who knows, but again, another great piece of memorable customer service.

The last time I stayed in LA it was at the Westin Bonaventure. Next time, it will be the Omni.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank BritTraveller68
OmniMgrLosAngeles, Executive Office at Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to write such a thorough review. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your overall visit with us in Los Angeles. Your comments will be shared with our staff, and we are addressing the two issues you experienced during your stay. We hope you had safe travels home, and that we will have the privilege of welcoming you back soon in the future.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I stayed here on business February 5-7. If you desire to be in downtown LA, this hotel will afford you the modern, highly functional hotel you are looking for, without having to pay super-steep prices for a room. The Omni chain will frequently offer discounts for AAA, AARP, gov't rates, etc., so take advantage of those if you can when reserving online. Moreover, just joining the Omni Select Guest program, which is free, provides you with complimentary internet in your room. There is no reason not to do this. I found the wi-fi to be a dependable service here, just as I had when I stayed at the Omni in Cancun a few months earlier.

By checking in online before your arrival here in downtown LA, you will completely bypass the registration desk. My valet/bellman handed me my room keys as I first entered the lobby and promptly ushered me upstairs; my luggage followed me up the elevator. I was very pleased with my comfortable, clean, modern, attractive guest room. My requests for a high floor with a view overlooking California Plaza were honored, and I found the king bed to be quite comfortable, with several extra pillows.

The "Classic Deluxe" guest room and the bathroom were both sufficiently spacious (384+ sq. ft.) and well-appointed. The bathroom had both a small tub and a shower stall. Both were sparkling clean. There was plenty of hot water and water pressure each morning. The usual assortment of lotions / shampoos / conditioners were there for my use. The in-room safe with programmable lock combination worked perfectly, and it was large enough for my laptop and accessories. Bathrobes, clothing iron and refrigerator were well placed and worked great. The housekeeping service was excellent and also consisted of one or two polite visits to my room each evening to see if I needed anything, such as more ice, etc.

The flat-screen TV worked well. The TV did not have a plethora of stations, but it did have most of the local and national stations/networks. The pay-per-view movie service had some but a limited number of choices. The newspapers I requested for morning delivery when I made the reservation were both placed in the hallway right at my door each morning.

Express check-out is conveniently and efficiently handled. I found the bell staff and the valet staff to be very professional and capable. I had driven my own car to LA and had no qualms at all leaving it with this valet staff. I did feel that the price of $40 per day to park was a tad high, even though I realize this is downtown LA. $20-$30 I wouldn't have even blinked at. I just thought $40 was a little high. But I have zero complaints about the quality of service I received. These guys are good, and they are knowledgeable for providing you with local driving directions, if you ask them. Getting here and getting back onto the LA freeway system are relatively simple if you stay at this hotel. LA's downtown is actually pretty easy to navigate, and it served my business purposes to be here.

The hotel's concierge desk is usually staffed. There were a couple of things I inquired about with which they were not able to assist me, but they were very polite and at least tried. I felt that the hotel's spa was somewhat "hidden" on an upper floor. When I finally located it one evening, I found it to be closed; apparently most of their service is done by appointment only, rather than on a walk-in basis. The staff at the hotel's front desk were always cordial, professional and helpful. Since I was in the hotel during the early portion of a work week, the lounge seemed a little quiet. The place was beautiful, with a nice big-screen TV and a basketball game showing, but no other customers that I saw. The staff on that shift were ready to serve, however. I would imagine that the lounge receives more business later in the week and whenever the hotel is full. It was not full during my stay.

I really loved the hotel's breakfast buffet in the 'Grand Cafe' on the third floor. The buffet opens at 6:30 a.m., and I found it to be a very enjoyable breakfast experience. The price was reasonable -- I tipped well and still got out of there for under $30. The made-to-order omlette was one of the best I have had in years. There are plenty of hot food items, and they change them up from day to day. There are several cereal choices; the milk was cold, and I found the fresh fruit and pastry assortments to be ample. The dining area is large. When I was there, it was fairly quiet, and I could enjoy my morning newspaper. Just outside the Grand Cafe and down the hallway a few feet is a "to-go" coffee and pastry venue, if you don't have time for a sit-down breakfast. The Grand Cafe serves meals throughout the day, but I dined elsewhere for lunches and dinners, so I cannot speak to their menus or services at those times.

In conclusion, I was very satisfied with my stay at the downtown LA Omni. I will stay here again and do recommend you give it a try.

Room Tip: Reserve online and pay close attention to the choices they give you and the questions they ask you...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank singapurastan
OmniMgrLosAngeles, Executive Office at Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to write such a thorough review. It's wonderful to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay with us. We will definitely recognize the specific departments you mentioned as well as address the areas of concerns with the appropriate department heads. Thank you again for your feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!