“Short and sweet.....a winner!”

Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City
Ranked #51 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I will offer a short and sweet review of this property. I travel about 60 days a year on business/pleasure and this is a decent property worth staying at. I have fairly high standards with lodging properties.

If you are a Universal Studios fan, it is walking distance from Universal Hollywood and City Walk.

If you are a "Hollywood" fan, the property is only a $15 cab ride from many of the Hollywood tourist areas.

If you fly into LAX, take out a second mortgage as the cab ride will set you back about $90.

But as for the actual hotel, the rooms are nice, the joint is clean and if you want a decent lodging property, you will likely be happy staying here.

On a scale from 1-10, this Hilton is a solid 8.....which means that most folks will be happy staying there. I would return.

Finally, I am from the East Coast and I like my hotel room temp. to be in the "Meat Locker" range. For whatever reason, I am convinced that California hotels in their quest for going green, have a rule that their rooms cannot be cooled below 72F..... Every time I stay in a California hotel, I can't get the room cool enough.

2  Thank GeorgeRohman
There are newer reviews for Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City

Reviewed 3 March 2012

When I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights, I came back with welts all over my body! I had at least 100 bites. I called the hotel to notify them, and they did nothing but try to convince me that I got the bites somewhere else. Needless to say I will NEVER stay at this hotel again for as long as I live.

Room Tip: ask for a room with NO bed bugs
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
12  Thank Bob J
HiltonUniversal, Manager at Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2012

Dear Bob J.,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We take any report of bed bugs with extreme seriousness and fully investigate. There are very specific guidelines and standards we follow which include professional inspection by a licensed certified pest technician.

Bed bugs are a host pest and can only be introduced to an environment from a host carrier. Typical possibilities for becoming a host are public transit travel, including air, bus, train and taxi services. Unfortunately, and thankfully rarely, once bed bugs are “brought in” to an environment they will not leave without a severe eradication process. The bed bug typically hides during day light and feeds on the host when dark. Any report of activity is fully investigated and any confirmation of presence triggers a full regiment of eradication including treating the room and all surrounding rooms (side to side, above and below). Rooms are not made available until certified clean and vacant. The certification is the most state-of-the-art, executed with a trained dog to find any activity. The company guarantees this certification process with 100% success.

As well, proactive measures are taken with routine certifications and daily inspections by our trained staff. This effort minimizes the issue and we can thankfully say we are “bed bug free” to the best of our ability on a daily basis. It pays for all of us to be diligent in our efforts to minimize this host pest and we certainly do our part. We recommend that all guests check their luggage often and be careful when unpacking. Often they will get into clothes, hiding in a hem or under a collar without you knowing. It pays to be alert.

Thank you again for bringing this to our attention, helping us educate and spread the message to be alert.

Regards,
Management at Hilton Universal City

Reviewed 1 March 2012

All of the staff I encountered were notably courteous and helpful. Stewart at the front desk was especially welcoming. The rooms were very clean, classy, and comfortable.

The location was a reasonably short walk to the Universal Studios park and CityWalk, although the route was a bit poorly marked and confusing. Still, it was nice to be located so close and have views of the Studios and the variety of options so conveniently located.

My company was hosting a series of meetings and banquets at their site and (although I cannot speak for the meeting planner who coordinated the contract or other advance details), from a guest perspective they helped each of our events run seamlessly. Even their catered banquet meals were a step above what I have typically/frequently found at other hotels.

I would look forward to the opportunity to return here.

Room Tip: I was particularly glad that I requested a view of Universal Studios. It was my 1st time seeing it a...
1  Thank gone2explore
Reviewed 1 March 2012

We usually stay at the Beverly Hills Hilton, but because of the Academy Awards, their prices were sky high.
There are two standouts at the Universal Hilton; one is outstanding service by all employees we came into contact with---from the greeting we received by the doormen to the desk, to the restaurant. The other standout is the sumptuous breakfast buffet. Whether you choose the entire buffet (including hot items) or the Continental---this buffet put the BEVERLY HILTON BREAKFAST BUFFET TO SHAME.
I don't quite understand why the BHH has such a poor buffet. I've written about it previously.
Although, for our purposes, Universal's location is not ideal, it is a lovely property.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank JSSMetroD.C.
Reviewed 1 March 2012

My husband and I stayed here on a Tuesday. We had tickets to Universal Studios, and picked this hotel because it was closest to the park. We tried to check in a little early, but there were no rooms available. The lady at the front desk was a little rude and short with us. She told us we'd have to pay a $150 deopsit. We parked in self parking which was $18 a day. That was a little pricy. It's understandable that they charge this much because they are so close to the park, but we felt like maybe they should have discounted rates for guests of the hotel. After we were done at the park we walked over to the hotel to check in. The man that was at the front desk was much more friendly and helpful. Our room was still not available, so he upgraded us to a bigger room on the 2nd floor. He asked us for a $100 deposit. I'm not sure why the first lady told us a higher price, but we were glad to save the extra $50. When we got to our room we had trouble getting the wifi to connect, so I called the front desk and sent the IT guy up to our room within minutes. He had to call another IT guy for additional help, and they got the wifi connected for us. The room was clean and rather large. It was room 202 below the lobby. The view was ok, nothing too special. The bed was comfortabe and the bathroom was very large. Upon checkout we noticed that we had been charged twice for our WiFi connection. We informed the lady that we were having issues with the connection and that we shouldn't be double charged, She made a phone call, fixed the problem, and checked us out. We enjoyed our stay, and would probably stay here again next time we're in the area.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank H_Rod88
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I typically don't write reviews, but when I checked into the Hilton, it was my fifth hotel over four cities and 12 days on the road, so I was feeling a bit road weary when Stuart greeted me at check-in with a "welcome back" before he even looked up my reservation--and I hadn't been at the hotel in over five years. We made small talk which included that my stay was going to be days 12-14 and then home, and Stuart surprised me with an upgrade to a magnificent room saying he wanted this to be the best hotel experience of my trip. The whole hotel is great... it has the amenities of a vacation place with the conveniences for business, but what a treat. Stuart then went the extra mile by calling my room shortly after I got there to make sure it was okay, plus the hotel delivered a lovely fruit plate as turn-down service my first night. I would definitely return to the hotel for leisure or business, and I hope management recognizes Stuart for the great brand ambassador that he is.

Room Tip: you can't get a bad room
2  Thank Family_Point_Person
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Upon check-in, I was informed there was no room for me. Candidly, I did not properly check my confirmation or I would have noticed it was a day off. In any event, the honors check-in staffer was less than helpful. Normally, as a long-time gold member, you would expect action. Please find a room for me here or at the very least call the Sheraton next door and help me find a room there. This did not happen. Nothing happened.

After finally securing a room it became very clear that my issue was isolated to this individual. The room was great and the remaining staff were fantastic in every way. I have stayed here several times over the years and the rooms are great. Big room, big bathroom and a well appointed and clean environment. The lobby is nice and for me the location is usually excellent. It's nice to have Citywalk right next door. The views are pretty cool usually, parking is conveninet (although not cheap) and the web connection was fast.

Normally after a situation like mine I would be angry and avoid Hilton properties for a long time, but in this situation it was clear that I made a mistake, encountered a untrained or substandard staffer, and in the end I had a very good stay,

If the location works for you, this is a very good hotel choice.

Room Tip: A room away from the elevators will be more peaceful.
1  Thank CoasterWarrior