“Surprising Property, Great Location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Erwin
Ranked #12 of 347 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersBronze level
Santa Fe, NM
“Surprising Property, Great Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

We were put up at the Erwin during a recent business trip to LA. While not a hotel I would likely have chosen myself, we were pleasantly surprised and I have to say I would seriously consider staying here again if in the area.

First the rooms--think a sort of dated "Jetsons" look and you won't be far off. Fun, funky furniture, bright colors. We had a 1 BR suite and it was spacious, clean and just as described. The bed was VERY comfortable, the linens soft and cushy, kitchenette area very nice and a well-stocked mini bar. The sofa bed mattress was a little tired but "sleepable" according to our daughter, who stayed with us.

Next...location. This is the good news/bad news. The Erwin is 1/2 block from the ocean, but also in proximity to the Boardwalk and therefore LOTS of street noise/parties at night. We didn't sleep much the first night.

Staff/Service: Absolutely outstanding staff--friendly, courteous, professional.

Restaurant: We had breakfast both mornings in the restaurant, BarLo, and the food was excellent. We didn't have a chance to eat dinner there, but checked out the menu--very innovative, lots of locally sourced produce, very nice wine selection. It rained the night we had time to enjoy the rooftop lounge, but the view looks to be killer, so maybe next time.

Overall: Really surprisingly great property in proximity to the hot, happenin' Abbott Kinney St. in Venice. Close to the water, spacious rooms (and they are updating the entire property), comfortable bed. Our biggest issue was noise--so ask to be in a room NOT facing the back of the property, or bring ear plugs.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
scastady, Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Dear Julie87508,

On behalf of the staff here at Hotel Erwin, I wanted to thank you for sharing you experience here on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and got to try our breakfast in Barlo. Next time you will have to stop in for dinner and try the Barlo Burger, its amazing!!

I wanted to apologize about the noise issues you had while staying with us. We try hard with the local authorities and other security companies to keep that sort of activity from disturbing any one of our guests.

At Joie de Vivre we pride ourselves on providing authentic hospitality and superior service and we thank you for choosing Hotel Erwin for your trip to Venice Beach. Should you return to Venice in the future I sincerely hope you will consider giving us the opportunity to show you our dedication and exceed your expectations.

Rooms Division Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Polish first
Lebanon, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

Roof top bar was amazing with a beatiful view of the sunset. The bartender was very friendly and had some great recommendations of other cool places for us to visit while we were in the area. We had one rainy day while in Venice so it was great to have a suite to kick back and watch a movie in our room. The hotel gives you the option of going green and of course we did....what a great idea!! Coupons to use for dinner in the restaurant! Wonderful food (the shrimp and grits were fantastic) While eating at Barlo we checked in on "Yelp" and was able to recieve a free cocktail, which was awesome! The young lady at the front desk was very friendly and made the arrival and check out process very smooth. Will definitely be going back!

Room Tip: Suite was the only way to go. So nice to have a kitchenette and living area seperated from the bedr...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear FannieM_50,

On behalf of the staff here at Hotel Erwin, I wanted to thank you for sharing you experience here on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and the surrounding area.

I will be sure to pass along your great comments to the staff. Its great you were able to take advantage of our “Green Dreams” program. This program is great for us and we thank your for doing your part to conserve the resources. I would agree, the shrimp and grits are amazing.

Redmond, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

My wife, 10-year-old daughter, and I had a great experience staying in a suite at the Hotel Erwin. The room was great, service was excellent all-around, with special kudos to front desk person Miguel, who went out of his way to to assist us with traveling advise, recommendations, etc.

The outside of the hotel was unimpressive as major renovations were being made to the exterior and it was covered with scaffolding, but the suite was delightful. You're one block from the beach.

If you're looking for pure relaxation and beautiful surroundings, this is probably not where you want to stay. You're in the heart of the very lively Venice Beach neighborhood which is very active and a little scruffy, but the hotel itself was delightful. If you want to stay in Venice, this is a great place to be.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Dear Lance K,

I will be sure to pass along your great comments to the staff as well as Miguel. We hope that you and your daughter will return sometime soon.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

Anticipating my first visit and overnighter to Venice Beach we chose this hotel for four adults sharing a two queen room. Prepare to experience an eclectic crowd outside the hotel. I highly recommend that you exit the hotel on foot only by day, it can be a questionable crowd at night considering there is a hostel nearby and many homeless surround the area. The hotel staff was friendly and the room was well kept. When we requested additional towels, a quick friendly response was offered.
The restaurant is another story, I could not comment on the food as we seated ourselves and left after waiting 20 minutes and retrieving the menu independently after one was not offerred. Very disappointing.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Cleisha,

I want to apologize for the service that you received in the restaurant. That type of service is absolutely not the normal. I will make sure to follow up with the F & B team about your comments. Although the area is very eclectic as you mention, we make sure to provide a fun, safe, and enjoyable atmosphere here at Hotel Erwin.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

After weeks of searching for the perfect area,hotel,activity to do for a weekend, away from all the grind. Malibu would have been nice and remote, SaMo is great but very busy and too city-like, Manhattan Beach is great but a bit out of touch and old. All in all, we settled on Venice Beach and the Hotel Erwin for the perfect location.
Of course booking is the first part of a process, the next is waiting for the date to come around. Once it did, it was as if the weather cleared up the day we arrived just for us.. With two days of 75 degree weather, and sunshine our major activities were as such: Surfing & Paddleboard lessons (Awesome), Bicycle rentals to cruise miles along the beach (Must-Do), and the rooftop lounge for Sunset.
Now, Venice isn't for everyone but the Hotel Erwin makes a decent attempt with the friendly and responsive staff. I would come here or recommend the Hotel Erwin to any of my family or friends, and really enjoyed the time away with my girlfriend for a weekend.

Room Tip: Ocean-view suites for couples..
Dear aharrell87,

The staff was excited to hear your comments about them. I am so happy you enjoyed your “staycation” at Erwin. We really appreciate all you wonderful comments about the hotel and the area.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

I stayed here a few weeks ago when I had to move out of my building for some repairs. It was a busy weekend with warm weather, almost like summer. Every staff member we encountered was professional and polite. The hotel was very busy and sometimes when this is the case, especially when perhaps it wasn't planning on being so busy (again, unseasonably warm weather) service can suffer. This was not the case at all. We went to High to watch the sunset and had a nice time. We ate breakfast both mornings in barlo, good food and friendly service. The rooms are clean and modern. If you're looking for a uniquely southern california experience, this is a great hotel. It's in a location that is convenient to everything on the West Side and you can't beat the Venice people watching.

Dear Trvlgrl1980,

On behalf of the staff here at Hotel Erwin, I wanted to thank you for sharing you experience here on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to here you enjoyed your stay and the surrounding area.

The staff was excited to hear your comments about them. I am so happy you enjoyed our F & B outlets. I try to eat in Barlo at least once a week because I love it so much. Its great that you were able to make it up to High to watch the sunset, I think that is normally the highlight of everyone trip. And I agree, people watching does not get any better than Venice Beach.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

Overall, the Erwin is very nice and the staff is very accomodating. The beach is right there and you can pretty much walk everywhere. I have 2 issues; 1. the thermostat in our room was in the living area, so the living room was nice and cool, but, the bedroom was hot and stuffy. And because they are a green hotel the thermostat would only go down to around 67 degrees; may just be our room. Also, $60 to leave my car parked and untouched for 2 days is a little sucky as a hotel guest. If I used the valet I could see that, but to arrive and not see my car again till checkout, ouch. If my concerns are of no concern to you, this is a great place; go for it.

2 Thank Jayson_Charles
Dear Jayson_Charles,

I wanted to apologize for the issues with your room and thermostat. It seems you were in one of our suites per your comments. I will follow up with the engineering team and have them double check all the suites to make sure this issue is addressed. I understand your comments about the overnight valet parking. However, if you choose to return, there are other options in the area for overnight parking. There is free street parking around the hotel, and also a few lots that offer overnight parking. Give us a call so we can let you know what these options are.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
The Kinney
The Kinney
#4 of 11 in Marina del Rey
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,303 reviews

Been to Hotel Erwin? Share your experiences!