“In need of renovation and cleaning”
Review of Hotel Erwin

Hotel Erwin
Ranked #12 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, California, United States
“In need of renovation and cleaning”
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Not the best experience. Nice hotel staff (despite loosing our first reservation!)... but the problem is the hotel itself is on par w/ a bad unclean motel 6 :(

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
scastady, Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Dear Yaz S,

On behalf of the staff here at Hotel Erwin, I wanted to thank you for sharing you experience here on Trip Advisor. I was disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectations. I can assure you I will follow up with the management team here at Erwin and address your comments.

We are currently under a renovation and doing a full re-fresh in all the public areas and also in the guest rooms. We expect this to be complete sometime at the end of May. Should you choose to return once this is complete, please contact myself directly so I can assist you.

At Joie de Vivre we pride ourselves on providing authentic hospitality and superior service and we thank you for choosing Hotel Erwin for your trip to Venice Beach. Should you return to Venice in the future I sincerely hope you will consider giving us the opportunity to show you our dedication and exceed your expectations.

Rooms Division Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Polish first
Reston, Virginia
Reviewed 23 April 2012

The hotel wasn't very full and I know why, lots of construction. There was construction going on all throughout the building. My room was nice and the hotel itself seemed to be in a cool location right in Venice Beach, but the construction was hard to overlook. For the price I paid it underwhelmed ($350 for 1 night). I had a few drinks in the bar/restaurant and met a cute bartender, so that was a plus. I checked out the rooftop lounge, which had great sunset views, but I couldn't get any of the servers to even ask me for a drink order. All in all, I probably wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: I probably wouldn't stay here until the construction is finished.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
scastady, Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Dear Kevin M,

On behalf of the staff here at Hotel Erwin, I wanted to thank you for sharing you experience here on Trip Advisor. I wanted to apologize for our current Guest Enhancement Project that disrupted your stay. You will be happy to hear that we are in the final stages of this project and expect everything to be complete by the end of May. We are doing a full re-fresh in all the public areas and also in the guest rooms.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 April 2012

A friend of mine who lives in Venice Beach was getting married, and this was the suggested hotel. It was nice enough on the inside, had that boutique feel...small(ish) with interesting art on the walls, but at the same time, it was clean (which to me is more important). The staff was very helpful and nice. The area it is in...well, it is venice beach, this means colorful people, homeless people, pot smoking people. I was out pretty late and never was very concerned for my safety as I was coming and going. I feel like so long as you stay aware of your surroundings things will go fine. Did not eat at the restaurant, but did go to the rooftop bar (with many folks from the wedding). It was a good time, friendly barstaff. Beer selection was good....but... Southern California has some amazing beers, they need more of that, there was some, but I wanted more. I only stayed a night, and it was just right. If I did find myself in the area and needed a place for a night, I would consider again.

Room Tip: partial ocean view rooms overlook alleys.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Dear thomaskash,

On behalf of the staff here at Hotel Erwin, I wanted to thank you for sharing you experience here on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and the surrounding area. I will be sure to pass along your great comments to the staff. I am glad to see you were able to enjoy the High Rooftop Lounge, best part in the hotel. Please keep us in mind when you visit your friend in Venice Beach.

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Stayed at the Erwin at Venice Beach for two nights with the room being great with a view over the beach. It is on the coast and not far from all of the main attractions of LA... although it is a location of its own well worth a visit.

It really is the location that is the hit for those who like a stay on the fringe of life. The beach front holds one transfixed by the characters that frequent it along with their antics [don't be fooled as some of this is part of an act and some of these people are talented folk who choose this way of life] admid the tattoo parlours, outlet stores and medicinal cannabis locations. It is the later that gives this area an interesting "breeze" that might not be for some... as "the breeze" is there almost 24/7.

The Hotel has a fantastic roof top bar above "the breeze" that has an uninterupted view to all points of the compass and a great little restaurant that is well appointted as well as serves excellent food. However, when staying here get out onto the breach front and have a meal at the "Side Walk Cafe" so you can be entertained by the side show... it is well worth it!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear copperduke,

On behalf of the staff here at Hotel Erwin, I wanted to thank you for sharing you experience here on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and the surrounding area. I will be sure to pass along your great comments to the staff. I like your comments about Venice, seems to be right in line with the experience.

Wolverhampton
Reviewed 17 April 2012

After staying at an enourmous faceless hotel in Vegas the Hotel Erwin was such a lovely surprise. The first thing you notice when you get enter the hotel is the lovely smell of lemongrass everywhere, even in the drivethrough outside. Got an upgrade to a suite which was great, like a small apartment with seperate bedroom and a kitchen area. The room was lovely, very unique and individual with lots of little added touches. The rooftop bar was great with amazing views but it gets very cold up there in the wind, we prefered the cosy, heated little bar in the drivethrough at the front of the hotel. Venice Beach itself was an awesome place but not for the faint hearted! The promenade provided hours of entertainment walking up and down watching the Venice characters perform or just hanging out, we didn't feel intimidated at all but I wouldn't like to walk it after dark. Make sure you visit the Venice canals, just five minutes walk away, such a beatiful peaceful area and so different to the promenade. The only negative was the expensive overnight parking charge of $28. Great hotel in an amazing place!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Dear JMW2109,

On behalf of the staff here at Hotel Erwin, I wanted to thank you for sharing you experience here on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and the surrounding area. I will be sure to pass along your great comments to the staff. I was pleased to see you were upgraded to one of our suites, that’s fantastic.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2012

We arrived in the evening after a long flight and were given a room(301) on the first floor next to the lift and stairs and overlooking an alleyway. The friendly girl on reception explained it was the only room left as the hotel was full and if we didn't like it we could change the next day.We slept well ,the bed was comfortable but the room a little small so we did move rooms. We were moved to the other side of the hotel into a much bigger and brighter room with a side sea view. We found the hotel staff very helpful with booking tours and giving us local information. The beachside location is excellent with lovely views from the rooftop bar (blankets provided for chilly evenings) and the food in the ground floor restaurant delicious.You can walk from the hotel along the boardwalk to Santa Monica or stroll around the Venice canals. There are many restaurants and cafes in the area. We did not venture too far from the hotel after 9 p.m.but didn't really need to.Although there were renovations taking place during our visit we were not disturbed. We enjoyed our stay here and would go back again.

Room Tip: Ask for one not overlooking the alley
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear dustylin,

Santa Fe, NM
Reviewed 1 April 2012

We were put up at the Erwin during a recent business trip to LA. While not a hotel I would likely have chosen myself, we were pleasantly surprised and I have to say I would seriously consider staying here again if in the area.

First the rooms--think a sort of dated "Jetsons" look and you won't be far off. Fun, funky furniture, bright colors. We had a 1 BR suite and it was spacious, clean and just as described. The bed was VERY comfortable, the linens soft and cushy, kitchenette area very nice and a well-stocked mini bar. The sofa bed mattress was a little tired but "sleepable" according to our daughter, who stayed with us.

Next...location. This is the good news/bad news. The Erwin is 1/2 block from the ocean, but also in proximity to the Boardwalk and therefore LOTS of street noise/parties at night. We didn't sleep much the first night.

Staff/Service: Absolutely outstanding staff--friendly, courteous, professional.

Restaurant: We had breakfast both mornings in the restaurant, BarLo, and the food was excellent. We didn't have a chance to eat dinner there, but checked out the menu--very innovative, lots of locally sourced produce, very nice wine selection. It rained the night we had time to enjoy the rooftop lounge, but the view looks to be killer, so maybe next time.

Overall: Really surprisingly great property in proximity to the hot, happenin' Abbott Kinney St. in Venice. Close to the water, spacious rooms (and they are updating the entire property), comfortable bed. Our biggest issue was noise--so ask to be in a room NOT facing the back of the property, or bring ear plugs.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
scastady, Manager at Hotel Erwin, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Dear Julie87508,

On behalf of the staff here at Hotel Erwin, I wanted to thank you for sharing you experience here on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and got to try our breakfast in Barlo. Next time you will have to stop in for dinner and try the Barlo Burger, its amazing!!

I wanted to apologize about the noise issues you had while staying with us. We try hard with the local authorities and other security companies to keep that sort of activity from disturbing any one of our guests.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
Santa Monica
Viceroy Santa Monica
Viceroy Santa Monica
#5 of 36 in Santa Monica

Been to Hotel Erwin? Share your experiences!