“Magic Castle Hotel, LA”
Review of Magic Castle Hotel

Magic Castle Hotel
Ranked #2 of 354 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 9 March 2012

I can't compliment this place enough.

The customer service was excellent - the best I've ever experienced. The staff really couldn't do enough for you or help out more.

The accommodation was very spacious, very clean, turndown service was a fab bonus - no complaints about the accomodation.

The 'mini bar' was awesome and free - you asked reception for whatever you wanted from a huge range of snacks and soft drinks, and within minutes you had it - completely free of charge. Free popsicles by the pool was another added bonus.

The location was perfect - less than five minutes walk from Chinese Theatre etc.

Cost-wise, The Magic Castle Hotel was one of the least expensive that I found.

The Magic Caslte Club next door was an amazing evening as well. Not being particularly 'in to' magic, I was in absolute awe of the magicians - both those that performed as part of a show and those that performed off the cuff. All in all an amazing experience.

I would absolutely stay at the Magic Castle Hotel again and would 100% recommend others to stay there too.

I marked the sleep quality 'average' as the pull out sofa bed wasn't the comfiest but not enough to cause a problem

Room Tip: If you want a balcony, ask for one. We didn't get one but I think it was due to the size of our...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 7 March 2012

What a great place to stay in LA! Great staff, location (Hollywood) and apartments. Accommodations are spacious, retro and comfy. This is an older property, very well kept. Ask for balcony apt. Go to Japanese Restaurant. Lie around at the pool, Walk to Chinese Theatre and anything you need the staff will attempt for you. A real hidden gem in the Hills. Watch out for taxi costs-just rent a private limo-same price ($80)..or take super shuttle for $16. Perfect for families who need more space, or extended stay where you want a real home away from home. Great snack bar and lemonade upon arrival. Wonderful DVD collection to rent. I can't say enough about this place.

Room Tip: Ask for balcony room. If disabled, let them know-lots of steps to some rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Arriving and checking in at the Magic Castle was a pleasure after traveling all day. The staff made you feel welcome and were quick to meet all needs during check in and any need we had during our one night stay. The free continental breakfast was well done and had abundant selections to satisfy many tastes.

The location of the hotel is perfect if you want to visit the Walk of Fame, Kodak Theater, Chinese Theater and view the famous Hollywood sign.

Our room was a one bedroom facing the street. The building itself is vintage and room is not on par with more modern facilities. However, the hospitality and housekeeping staff are above par and makes the stay at Magic Castle worthwhile. The noise for street side rooms that has been noted by other patrons is appropriate however you are staying in the city so noise should be anticipated. The access to the hotel is controlled and parking is secured.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to see and experience Hollywood.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 March 2012

I stayed both here and at the best western in LA and for the price being the same (in fact I think MC was cheaper!) MC was soo much better.
Best location- just off the main blv but only a few minutes walk. To many homeless people to stay on the main Rd.
My brother n I stayed in a 1 bedroom apartment. I stayed in the lounge room on the fold out couch which was comfy and gave us space if ur travelling with family or multiple couples.
The apartment was on the bottom floor next to the clean pool with a kitchen and unlimited complimentary drinks and snacks from the receptionist which was a great touch!
The receptionist was the most accommodating person I have ever met on a holiday. He gave us maps and suggestions but most of all was just genuinely friendly!

• Stayed: December 2011
3  Thank lana_marie_x
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Spent one night here with three others. We got a two bedroom suite for around three hundred. At our arrival Gretchen was very friendly and offered a list of snacks and drinks free of charge to take to our room. In the morning, Ricky had an amazing spread waiting for us and we enjoyed our flavored coffee and our usa today. Lastly, Lisa was extremely helpful in helping us to plan our day in Hollywood. The staff was incredible, thank you to all of them.

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank wm49555
Reviewed 2 March 2012

I travel quite a bit to Los Angeles and have stayed at a variety of hotels. I've stayed at the Charlie, the W Hollywood, the Standard (both locations), Sofitel, Luxe on Sunset, the Hotel Amarano in Burbank and have rented three homes from VRBO.

By far, my favorite is the Magic Castle hotel on Franklin. I like this place so much that it's become my default spot for business trips and our favorite for trips with my two young kids.

Why is this nondescript "garden apartment" style hotel my favorite? A few reasons:

1) The location can't be beat. You're in the heart of Hollywood with easy access to the major freeways.

2) You get access to the Magic Castle. While the drinks are overpriced and the food is mediocre, it's an experience not to be missed.

3) The rooms at the hotel are HUGE. They are all one bedroom suites and perfect for the visiting family that needs a kitchen and room for kids to relax.

4) The services is fantastic. Unlike the major chains, the Magic Castle doesn't nickle & dime you at every turn. The wi-fi is free, the snacks are free, they even gave us a free postcard stamp! It's the little touches. The staff and General Manager are all very nice and overly accommodating.

Don't let the modest exterior fool you. This is by far the best hotel deal in Los Angeles.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the recently remodeled rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank DeluxoDave
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Frankly, this is the very first time I have been disappointed in something so highly rated by TripAdvisor. Just quickly:

We booked for one night because of a meeting on Wednesday evening in LA, less than two miles from the hotel. We drove in six+ hours, and while it wasn't the easiest to find it was found quickly. I'll start with the positives because they started right away!

First off, the staff - wow. They are enthusiastic, helpful, friendly - heck, it's like the Boy Scout motto is part of their training! They offered a glass of sparkling lemonade while I was checking in and while I declined, they took it out to the car to give to my wife. They then directed me to the gated, underground (i.e. under the building) parking, which while not free was certainly both reasonable and unbelievably magnificent in Los Angeles. (Small note - the ceiling is not terribly high, therefore the pipes below the floor are fairly low, resulting in hatchback contact. Worth watching out for.)

Due to our meeting time, we could only just put our stuff in the room, wash our faces, and head out. It was at this point we noticed the very nice facial soap with an orange citrus scent. We also noticed that due to the design of the entryway, the door to the room does not open completely. There is some sort of weird panel near the floor behind where the door tries to open. There's a very antique wall heater of some kind just inside the door. There is a slightly musty smell. And when washing our faces, we saw the cracked basin in the sink, but with no time to talk to anyone about it we headed out.

We got back around 11:30pm, exhausted, and got undressed and into bed. On taking off my shoes and walking through the room, I found an area where it feels like there are cracks or holes, where the carpet sinks in, between the bedroom and the bathroom. On laying down in the bed, I realized the mattress is ... firm, to be kind. It's on a platform. We also took the time to read the small sign on the bed informing us that if we wanted a top sheet between ourselves and our duvet, we needed to have request it. Exhausted, I put my head down. At this point, I noticed the vinyl shutters in the room do not quite completely close. As our room was on the ground floor facing the street, I had to improvise some receipts stuffed underneath to keep them closed.

About the street - there is a window-style air conditioner built into the wall facing the street, which I could see to outside through (a small hole, granted, but it is still there). But that was nothing compared to the continuous and rather loud traffic. All ... night ... long! The windows looked to be single-pane and (upon further investigation of the inside of the shutters in the light of day) hardly sealed.

In the daylight, I found a few other interesting items. First, the shower - nice, serviceable, old, loads of hot water, and as is typical of someone my height (six foot one) excellent at cleaning my chest hairs. No matter, a great percentage of places are like this for me. But I also saw on the wall between the shower and the bathroom door, which is quite beat up by the way, some sort of yellowish runny stains on it with an exceptionally disturbing (in this day and age) red one on the (also very beat up) floorboard. Now the fact that the door opens physically ON to the toilet may be simply because of the age of the building and the plumbing design, but the oddly placed pedestal on the sink is quite modern.

There are two light switches in the bathroom, one for the light and fan and the other for ... well, I couldn't tell what it did. there is a heating element as well on the ceiling, which looks to be from a mid-50's electric stove top, but it never did a thing. And I feel fairly certain the fan was the prop from the airplane in the movie Casablanca, judging by both its age and surprising level of noise.

Throughout the room, the painting job is slapdash. The floorboards are really beat up. The clothes rod in the closet is scary looking, either badly painted and worn or honestly I don't know.

I'm surprised at how much I found, considering we had just enough time for me to grab some of the (very good and very plentiful) included continental breakfast and take it back to the room before we had to leave. Again, a truly friendly staff, I cannot say enough about them, but I just did not have the time to discuss it with them. I do honestly believe they would have done whatever they could to improve the situation, but this type of trip prevented me from being able to discuss it with them and frankly considering the reports everyone else seems to have made I was caught off guard by all of this stuff. I know things go wrong, but I don't expect a place rated as highly as this to require me to address this many shortcomings.

Had I noticed two other items when we arrived we would have been late to our meeting, as they passed beyond unpleasant to dangerous: the first was some sort of power cable coming from the bottom of one of the outlets, down into the carpet. I do not know where it went or what it was for but I cannot believe that type of rigging would pass code. The second was the fact that the smoke alarm had no battery and appeared to be inoperative (no light). I know that wouldn't pass code.

In conclusion, this is a very pretty, funky, cool place with excellent on-site underground parking, a heated outdoor pool, a staff that would make any Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons or wherever proud, in a really great location in Hollywood, but with what I found in my room I just can't come to grips with the fact this hotel is (as of 1 March 2012) the #2 rated hotel in Los Angeles on TripAdvisor. My experience really doesn't seem to match others'.

Please see my photos to get a better understanding of what I'm talking about in this review.

Room Tip: If you can, choose a room that doesn't face the street, the traffic is nonstop.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
9  Thank TravelingCook
HotelManager, General Manager at Magic Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review of your experience.
First off, I’m truly glad that you enjoyed the service from our staff. Yes, you are correct…had you brought any of this to our attention we most certainly would have fixed the problems beyond your satisfaction. It was a short stay and I completely understand not taking the time to let us know. Quite frankly, you shouldn’t have had to..the room should have been in better condition before we rented it out that night. You were in a “Single” room, of which we only have seven. No question, they are small rooms and better for short stays.…in addition, the particular room you had is one of the smaller “singles” at the hotel.

The fact that our housekeeper missed that spot on the base board is unacceptable, and that drip above the base board is sprayed on cleaner that wasn’t wiped off properly.

The smoke detector you took a picture of is inactive and we have another one on the wall right next to it that is hard wired in to the building. Fire safety if extremely important to us and we have strict programs in place to test our equipment…beyond what is required by law.

Our Duvets are Goose down and are substantial in weight. The cotton slip cover on the duvet is washed for every guest. Many hotels in warm environments do not have a top sheet, as many guests like to have only the duvet. Because not all guests prefer this, we’re happy to provide a top sheet. If you were to come back, this being your preference…your bed would be made for you with the top sheet based on your preference from your previous stay.

We will take a look at the slight dip in the floor as you enter the restroom, thank you for noticing this.

Again, thank you very much for your comments…I really do appreciate them.

Darren Ross