“Wonderful stay with great service”

Hotel Silver Lake Los Angeles
Ranked #282 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Austin, Texas
“Wonderful stay with great service”
Reviewed 6 January 2010

My 20 year old daughter and I spent 4 nights at the Silver Lake, and we had a wonderful experience. The room was cool, with a lovely view of Griffith Park & its striking observatory as well as the Hollywood sign. The room was clean, and the beds were firm and comfortable with wonderfully plump pillows. The breakfasts were of the type usual for this kind of hotel, but they do a better job than most. Even if you come at the last minute, they are never out of anything, from muffins to eggs & bacon to cereals. The hotel has cleaning staff who always seem very busy, and the front desk staff are friendly and helpful. They even suggest the things that wouldn't occur to us to ask about. As for the location, LA is a very big city, but I was pleased and surprised to discover I could get to almost anywhere with very little trouble because of its nearness to major highways. The only negative is that the hotel isn't in a neighborhood that invites walking exploration. It didn't feel dangerous, just not very interesting. It was nice getting covered parking.

• Stayed January 2010
1 Thank sablatt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Colorado
Reviewed 6 August 2009

I was on the phone with Jeff several times about the poor reviews. I was promised a pleasant stay because the hotel had been purchased by a new owner. The pict on the web site are as promised, clean and very comfortable beds. Jeff and Paten (?) were VERY helpful in assisting us with the better restaurants, tips on where to ride the underground train to get to Hollywood Walk of Stars and grocery stores. They were always available at the desk if needed. Breakfast was pretty good and since it fed a family of 4 much worth the price. The hotel includes parking and breakfast - not many do around there. I was VERY happy with our stay here. Parking not an issue and we rarely saw guests in the hotel, very quiet. Thank you for making our stay wonderful! I appreciate you keeping the promise.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
5 Thank ColoKids
san diego
Reviewed 25 September 2008

We came to thise hotel and it turned out to be a disaster. there was alot of traffic noise coming from the streets and freeways; we were moved to a quiter area of the hotel, but thats when things got worse. We woke up to a colony of ants crwaling all over the counter top sink!The ants were exterminated but, a there were still a few dead ants that weren't cleaned up. the T.V. is old and outdated, haven't seen one of theses since the 80's. the price was way too high, Definietely not coming back!

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Guavarnica

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Houston
Reviewed 28 July 2008

If your looking for good customer service, this is NOT the place you should stay at. Michael the guy that works at the front desk is rude, bitter, and just plain unfriendly. The manager of the hotel isn't any better. We had something very important come up and we needed to leave and they wouldn't let us cancel bc we had "Pre" reserved it, but when the other guy who had payed more for his hotel asked if he could cancel Michael the bitter guy up front let him. And when I asked why he let him and not us he basically said "it's because he paid more for his hotel room so he gets higher priority." What's that all about? The only people that were nice were the night shift workers. In my opinion this place needs different management and a whole different front staff. These people basically hate there lives and take it out on there customers. The only thing good about this place was that it was like 20 minutes away from all the different sites. I would recommend the Golden Key Hotel by the Americanas atleast they have a friendly staff and policies that make sense. Please think twice before you stay here, and don't bother going to the manager for help because he could care less. Oh and when we asked if we could speak to the manager, Michael said that he was asleep and he wasn't going to wake him up. This place is ridiculous please don't waste your time or money.

• Liked — close to everything
  • Disliked — rude staff, no gym
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
5 Thank lilprincess465
The world
Reviewed 17 July 2008

Here my letter to the Manager, I hope this help others not to live the same experience:

Dear Jim,
Today I´m living one of the worst traveling experiences, and all thanks to Holiday Inn Hotel.

Yesterday night after confirm at the front desk that "there is always some one in charge for attend any customer 24/7" my nightmare begins.
After a very short night I went at the front desk around 4am for my check out process and for a taxi, And what I found was a message that says"One moment please, I will return in a few minutes..." and at the end "Smile you are in Camera" I was waiting for around 1 hour with no signal of any person, until that I understand that nobody was going to help me so I start to search for taxi options via Internet and making several international calls trying to find a ride to the airport.
When I was able to arrive to the Airport, the Airline told me that I lost my flight and because of this my connection, so that means that I will not arrive home the day I planned and all my next day meetings must be canceled.
As a result the next available flight was 12 hours later with 3 scales and several hours between flights, meaning that my next night will be at another airport, I will arrive with 20 hours delay.

With this experience the impact was more than just a lost flight, and because of that I will proceed to send an Letter to RRHH explaining this situation and why this hotel can not be an option when we need to be in a business travel.

I expect that some one take actions to never let this happen again to any customer.
regards.
MB

• Liked — you can see hollywood billboard from the front rooms
  • Disliked — Front desk atention
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
6 Thank michaelbolles
Fresno, California
Reviewed 2 June 2008

Booked this hotel because I am a member of the Priority Rewards Club and it was close to Loyola Law School where I was to attend a seminar the next morning.

When I pulled into the parking lot the check in location was not early to see. Parking lot was adequately lit, but hotel is at the base of a terrace so houses above gave me the feeling of being watched.

Got in close to midnight and there was someone at the front desk to greet me. Had my reservation down for two nights when I only book one. Got that corrected at the front desk. So for, so good, as they have a 24 hour cancellation policy.

Got up to my room on the 3/4 floor via a small elevator. It reminded me of being in Ensenada, Mexico. The third and fourth floors are on a split level with the third for handicapped access.

Room did not have a room number on the door so I had to lightly knock on the door hoping no one would answer.

Once I got into the room, it was clean with big windows. TV didn't work well as all of the channels were fuzzy.

Slept well until around 3 or 4 a.m. when plenty of loud people decided to hold a conversation outside in one of the open walkways. There was king size with plenty of pillows, both firm and soft, for a good night's sleep. Lots of road noise at all hours of the day and night. This is probably the biggest draw back of this hotel, especially when one's room faces the adjacent freeway.

Got up late in the morning so I was in a hurry to leave. Had to wait for someone to check me out, just to confirm I wouldn't be charged for second night. Desk personnel were not very helpful in locating the law school. I can understand lack of knowledge of the area, but there was no effort to point me in the right direction to find out. Complementary continental breakfast was nice. The eating and serving areas were clean.

I paid $160 per might through on line booking. I would look for a better hotel with less noise from the freeway for the same price.

• Liked — Sice of bed and room
  • Disliked — Noise from freeway.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
chicago,il
Reviewed 2 March 2008

They did not have my reservation, and the front desk operation is very outdated-a hand written reservation system. On check out the bill was a very 80's looking invoice. The Breakfast Bar was terrible-zero selection and no hot food or even peanut butter. No exercise room. Very scary neighborhood. All rooms open to the outside. Front desk staff not very helpful. Housekeeping staff were wonderful. I would never stay here and also removed from my company's list of acceptable hotels in LA.

• Stayed February 2008, travelled on business