“Angel of Los Angeles!”

Ranked #49 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Dorset, United Kingdom
“Angel of Los Angeles!”
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Loved our stay at the Angeleno Hotel. Initially, was very worried when I saw its location at the junction of about four four-lane freeways! But needn't have worried. Even though we were only on the second floor, the traffic noise was not a problem at all for me and I have a HUGE aversion to being kept awake by the noise of thundering traffic. It was an incredibly peaceful and comfortable stay. The rooms were spotlessly clean and well-maintained, although they could do perhaps with upgrading the shower system, as it was a work of art to get it to work! I loved the panoramic views of LA and the Pacific Ocean (in daylight and after dark) from the 17th floor restaurant and the service from the waiters at breakfast was first-class. I recommend the granola for a healthy start to the day! We saw TV execs having breakfast meetings to discuss scripts which was very exciting, as well as a fun type of speed-dating (which I think was called 'hurry-dating') on one occasion. I think this is a very convenient and attractive location to stay in Los Angeles. Yes, the gym was small, the pool overwhelmed by inconsiderate swimming tutors and their charges but the fire by the poolside in the evening was a lovely touch. I'd go back in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Higher level room perhaps, if traffic noise annoys? We were on 2nd floor and had no problems, howeve...
Dear Bryles

Thank you very much for your positive comments about our hotel and West restaurant. I will share your kind words with the entire team at the Hotel Angeleno. At Joie de Vivre Hospitality, we pride ourselves in providing unique hospitality experiences and superior service. Thank you again for taking the time to let us know that we have exceeded your expectations during your visit with us.

Director of Rooms

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (478)
  • Finnish first
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 9 April 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Hotel Angeleno during a weekend trip to LA. Like others, we booked the room through hotwire. Although the rate was reasonable, this is not a 4-star hotel. It is 3 stars. Although we requested a king bed, we were promptly informed by the front desk person that hotwire reservations were for double beds only. We immediately felt as though we were being penalized for booking through the discount site...what a warm welcome. The room itself was clean and nicely appointed. The double bed that we ended up in was very comfortable although not ideal for a couple. I would have preferred a door on the entire bath area - not just the toilet and shower - but for one night it was a minor inconvenience. As others noted, the real issue is the location. Not only is the hotel on the freeway, it's actually in the middle of a major
freeway construction project. While we did not stay for breakfast, the top floor restaurant was well designed and the breakfast spread looked delicious.

Room Tip: If you end up staying here, turn on the AC unit to drown out the noise of road construction.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Jennifer D

Thank you very much for your comments about the hotel.

I apologize for the issue you had with wanting to change your room type. Usually we would be more than happy to give you a different room type than what you booked, but on this day we were sold out and had to honor the rooms our guests booked.

At Joie de Vivre Hospitality, we pride ourselves in providing unique hospitality experiences and superior service. Thank you again for taking the time to let us know about your stay and how we can improve.

California Gold County
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We stayed here for two nights and enjoyed it. We asked for a high floor and got one that looks at the Getty. The rooms are very comfortable -- nice large and well appointed bath room. Not much closet space though which isn't an issue for us.
We have stayed in this hotel several times. We like it because it's close to the Getty and the Hammer Museum and it's easy to find -- nice for the geographically challenged.
We enjoyed the evening wine tasting in the main lounge. It was fun to have a glass of wine and talk with fellow travelers.
The bad news is that you can hear the freeway noise. However, it was less noisy than the hotel we stayed in later in Anaheim which had a very noisy HVAC system.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor not facing the freeway.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Durban
Reviewed 9 April 2012

This was a great value for money hotel in Los Angeles. The cylindrical shaped hotel had good rooms, great atmosphere, good restaurant and was close to Beverly Hills and most of the other sites... Rooms were clean, and of a good size... The staff were very helpful and ever ready to help... it was like almost 30 minutes drive from LAX Airport, which is not too bad.. Bathroom was nice and well serviced.

Would definitely go back again

Room Tip: Better views from higher rooms
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Asish_M

Thank you very much for your positive comments about our staff and the hotel. I will share your kind words with the entire team at the Hotel Angeleno.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 8 April 2012

After traveling for several hours and arriving at this hotel at about 2:00 in the morning, we had hoped that we would be able to easily check-in to the rooms we had reserved earlier that day, and were told would be waiting for us when we arrived. When we pulled in and parked briefly, there was a loud tap on the driver's side window, and 2 young men that demanded we hand over our car keys, as this was hotel policy. Frankly, the only difference between these "valets" and somebody that was attempting a carjacking was that they appeared to be wearing hotel uniforms. After attempting to explain that, no, we didn't wish to use the valet (in addition to their thug-like demeanor, these young men had also been smoking, and smelled like it), and that we weren't going to give them our car keys under any circumstances, we were then directed to a "private" parking area reserved for the "special" hotel guests that wished to actually be able to access their car and use it during their stay (this was not located in the nicest portion of the hotel by any means, and it was difficult to reach). And yes, we were followed by the "valets" to this parking area, which was unbelievably creepy; they made it very clear they were not happy about the situation, and we felt more than a little frightened by their aggressive behavior. After parking, we opened one of the doors briefly to get out, and the smell of petroleum was so strong that it filled the inside of our car and started making us feel ill. We felt at this point that perhaps it would be a good idea to stay someplace else (especially after noticing that this was the area that the valets appeared to take their smoking breaks, which seems unwise for many reasons...), and while attempting to hike back to the registration desk to cancel the reservations, we were again approached by the valets in a what we felt was a somewhat threatening manner. This would've been a terrible experience anyway, but because this was for a medical appointment, and took place at 2:30 in the morning, it made it much worse. We were not told anything about the Hotel Angeleno policy regarding relinquishing your keys to rude and demanding hotel employees in the unlit parking area, and then holding your car keys ransom during your stay, nor about mandatory valet parking that, to say the least, isn't offered for guest comfort and convenience. None of this was explained to us earlier when we had originally booked the hotel; had it been, we could've made arrangements someplace else that would've been more appropriate for our plans. Terrifying and then intimidating your guests isn't the most effective means by which to gain repeat business or referrals; nor is withholding important information about hotel "policies" when making reservations, which we suspect may have been newly implemented by the night manager as we drove up. The cost of staying here wasn't worth the mental agony of wondering if our car was going to be broken into, what other valuables we were going to have to relinquish under "hotel policy", or if the hotel was going to go up in flames because one of the employees was taking a smoking break wherever the petroleum fumes were emanating from. In essence, we can't really comment on our stay since we were too frightened to spend the night, which perhaps says more than anything else.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms that smell like diesel, or are near that end of the hotel. We question their safety...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank HNB2004
Dear HNB2004,

Thank you very much for your comments about the hotel.

I was very surprised and alarmed at your comments about our valet. I have never heard a complaint like that. I have spoken to all of our valets to ensure that everybody driving up to the hotel feels welcomed.

San Antonio, Texas, United States
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Booked hotel through Hotwire for $165/nt on the premise it was a "4-star" property. It is better described as a high-rise Hampton Inn.

This property is a remodeled Holiday Inn, the style built across the US in the 60's, a round tower, well, almost round. Try 16 sides. Our room was rediculously small. No space for a closet. Only an armoire unit with the hanging rod 18 inches wide. Perhaps enough to accomodate a lone traveler, but, my wife was with me on this rare occassion. No room or stands for luggage, only precious floor space. Bathroom size was a joke. Counter space very inadequate. Should you choose to work at the desk, you will have the flat-screen TV about 12 inches from your face. And the TV is an off-brand 20-inch plasma with poor sound. Our room, on the 8th floor had a quaint view of the traffic on the 405. The traffic noise was not an issue since the droan of the wall-unit AC was incredibly loud.

The feature bar/restaurant, on the "penthouse" level, offers indifferent service and expensive drinks even for happy hour.

The fitness center is small and ill-equiped for an alleged "4-star" property. While using it at 8 AM in the morning I had to step around parents milling about as their children took swimmimg lessons in the adjacent pool. I was told the hotel leases out the pool to a Westwood instructor. The students included two diaper-clad babies. I would be concened about the e-coli level in that pool for the remainder of the day.

On a positive note, the hotel is most convenient to the Getty Museum. And the beds and linens are top-shelf and we had no issue with the comfort.

Otherwise, in summary, this place is a train wreck.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
Dear ScooterTXTN

Thank you very much for your positive comments about the hotel. I will share your kind words with the entire team at the Hotel Angeleno.

I have good news for you about our swim classes: they were only temporary and are now over.

Santa Fe, NM
Reviewed 5 April 2012

This should be a $50 night motel. Not a $169 a night hotel that sits on the 405 freeway. I request a "View King". I even asked the reservations person how quite was the hotel-she saud very. However, when I checked in I got this unsure answer from the desk clerk who said "you are on a high floor it is more quiet for you". It was the worst night I have ever had in a hotel bar none!! My view was not as described. I was looking at a freeway and hill.

The noise was so loud in the room with windows closed that I may as well have had the freeway in my room.

I tried pillows over my head. That failed. I tried my Iphone ear phones. That failed. Finally at 1 AM I called and requested a room change. The person who answered expressed they always get complaints. I was moved to a "Hill Facing" room. While the noise level reduced somewhat I was counting sheep at 3am. I had a bg meeting the next day. I was completely exhausted. I did manage to find the view I was supposed to get with my room in the restaurant where the service was so so. Upon check out the hotel clearly did not care about the fact I had paid to get no sleep and I had to get pushy with the desk clerk to go find a supervisor to do something in reducing my bill. I stay at other Joie de Vivre Hotels. This one could learn something from the others.

Room Tip: None unless you like highway noise I would not stay here
2 Thank will19
Dear will19

Thank you very much for your comments about the hotel.

I apologize for the issue you had with your room.