“Excellent sauces, good fresh seafood, lacking bread”
Review of ByWater Restaurant

ByWater Restaurant
Ranked #26 of 170 Restaurants in Los Gatos
Reviewed November 13, 2016

The sauce on the shrimp and grits was rich and delicious. The YaYa gumbo was very dense, good spicing. The blackened lettuce with green goddess dressing was over sauced, a limp dish. I wanted something crispy on it as contrast. The squash soup with oysters had a nice layered flavor profile. The fried green tomatoes had a roumalde sauce on it that over powered the dish and made the tomatoes soggy on the bottom and crisp on the top. The beignets were very good. The soup would have tasted better with some Manresa bread. The shrimp and grits were very rich and would have been nicely cut with some bread. There was no bread with the salad, not so much as a crouton. The yaya- same, no bread. This restaurant group is known all over the world for their fantastic bread and yet it was missing from most of our meal. Not offered, not served, just MIA.

Reviewed October 25, 2016

Nice food and livel fun atmosphere and made a nice change from the usual steak, chicken fish you find on all the menus. When you're travelling either for leisure or business after a while choosing from menus gets a bit stale. This restaurant is a refreshing change with upscale variations on traditional New Orleans dishes (Po Boys, fried green tomatoes, blackened fish, jumbalaya etc). Menu is both pleasingly compact but retains enough variety for all. Wouldn't say it's cheap but then not high end either was $170 for 3 although we did indulge.

Reviewed October 19, 2016

The owner of Bywater is David Kinch and he also own the 3 star Manresa restaurant also located in Los Gatos. He wanted to open a more casual eatery that was an ode to his NOLA roots. We picked a Sunday and went during their Brunch period. There were four of us so we ordered several dishes and shared them.

We had the Beignets, red beans and egg, thick cut bacon, sausage and egg Po' boy, fried chicken with butter beans, and the shrimp and egg in a hole. All of it was delicious. I thought the red beans were bland but others liked them. The chicken was crispy and a bit spicy. I have never had butter beans and they were buttery good. The Po' boy , bacon and chicken were the biggest hits. The Beignets were warm, delicious and buried in powdered sugar. The total for our meal was just over $100 which I did not think was too much for what we ate. This is not a McDonalds after all

The restaurant itself is small so make reservations. The staff was very good and helpful. There is a full bar and open kitchen. We did not find the noise level to be bothersome Overall we loved the place and everyone of us will go back.

One word of caution if you go on a rainy day like we did. The floors are tiled and can be extremely slippery if your shoes are wet. I almost went flat on my back

Reviewed October 1, 2016

Enjoyed everything -- the cocktails (Pimms Cup, Manhattan) and beer, the oysters, gumbo, fried green tomatoes, fried chicken, courtboullion, beignets, chicory coffee, the bartender, our server, the ambience. Just wish it wasn't so pricey as we'd be regulars...but it's busy all the time so they are definitely not too over priced for some people. I really don't understand the negative reviews. I'm by no means a NOLA expert but I do know good food. And I have good friend who was born and raised there and only moved to CA as a adult who loves this place and says is high end but authentic. We ve been twice and each time the service and food and drink was perfect, no complaints except for the price -- $200 for two with tip.

Reviewed September 29, 2016

My first after the restaurant first opened last year was just okay, although its great to have a NOLA inspired local restaurant. This review is about my second visit, which was much better experience than the first one.

This time, the food was outstanding. The portions were not overly generous but were just about right for what one should really eat. The Fried Green Tomatoes were perfect. The Duck and Oyster Jambalaya was very flavorful. My only disappointment was that there were too few slices of duck breast. And, the dessert were outstanding.

The wait staff were very attentive. My only complaint was the waitress was really pushing their special drink of the day, a Champagne, which was a bit on the expensive side.

If you like NOLA cuisine, and you can't get to NOLA, this place is a close as you can get.