“Always Extra Special!”

Ranked #4 of 25 Mendocino B&B and Inns
Auburn, California
“Always Extra Special!”
Reviewed 24 November 2011

We celebrated our 20th Anniversary by staying in the Switzer Room at the Headlands Inn. It is worth the walk to the third floor for the 2 window seats and great views plus a king size bed that is like a cloud. Denise and Mitch always make sure we have a wonderful time with great breakfasts and amenities. We look forward to coming back.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sharon D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 19 November 2011

Stayed one night in the Wilson room, and are longing to go back!

We were greeted by a talkative and charming hostess upon our arrival Saturday afternoon, and to my delight the house was decorated with a few frogs (I am an avid collector). It only went uphill from there. We had a deal which included a complimentary bottle of wine, which we enjoyed by the fireplace in our room. There were also a lot of other complimentary goodies, including afternoon tea and cookies (4-7 pm) sherry (all night long) and breakfast (served to your room around nine). The wifi was also complimentary, but didn't work very well. Cell phone reception is also a hit-or-miss here, but this wasn't a big problem for us.

I really felt at home during our entire stay, the Inn was so cozy, comfortable and relaxed.
This was our first stay at a Bed & Breakfast, but with our experiences there, it was not the last.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ymseduria
San Rafael
Reviewed 17 November 2011

We just got back from a two night stay and had a marvelous time. Mitch and Denise just knocked themselves out - the place is so clean, cozy, friendly and well-run. They are excellent cooks and really top-notch hosts. We were on the first floor next to the kitchen, and I would periodically wander in and visit with them while they were baking cookies or whatever. Super friendly people. I'm glad they served breakfast after 9:00 because we woke up at about 9 each morning! And the breakfast carried us straight through to dinner. I would recommend this place to anyone who wants to stay in Mendocino.

Room Tip: The first floor rooms are a little more noisy due to people walking overhead. The P. Stoefel room h...
Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank M_traveler483
Northern California
Reviewed 17 November 2011

I have stayed at the Headlands Inn many times on business and personal visits to Mendocino, and I keep coming back for more. Mitch and Denise are super friendly hosts, the rooms are darling, and the location in Mendocino village couldn't be better. I love listening to the ocean at night in the feather beds that are like royal thrones. The hot breakfast delivered to your door is delicious, and I always hate to leave. I highly recommend this inn. Actually I'm afraid too many people will discover it and there won't be a room when I come back!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Kayaker55
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 13 November 2011

Nov 7-9, 2011
We stayed two nights in a lovely double (John Barry room) with a view of the water and a woodburning fireplace. The room was generously spacious and spotless. It as well as the other rooms and public areas were decorated in a chintzy, country style. Even the ceiling was wallpapered. The innkeepers, Denise and Mitch, were attentive and informative.
As said before, the breakfasts are amazing and worth the tariff. We had superb entrees each morning--a quiche with a cream cheese filling and a French toast unlike any before. The full breakfasts arrived at 8:45 sharp although the coffee arrived 30 minutes earlier. The only problem with this schedule--and this may pertain to only a small minority of guests--is that we waited so long until breakfast arrives. I awake early about 5:00. At 6:00 I go across the street to Moody's for a cup of strong coffee. Usually after breakfast, we are ready to go out and follow our day's itinerary about 8:30. The period from waking up to breakfast can be very long and unproductive for some vacationers.
If this is not a problem, then this place is the best--best breakfast, eg, fresh-squeezed OJ, best Mendocino location, best hosts, and best, ie, competitive, pricing for an upscale property.

Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank alohatripper
Oklahoma
Reviewed 11 November 2011

In October, I stayed at Headlands Inn Mendocino in Annie's Room. Dear friends of mine had generously made the booking for me and themselves, and so this not-so-positive review is made with reluctance, my fearing of appearing somewhat ungrateful. However, something must be said so that both the owner and other travelers can be well advised. This room, with its odd, almost public bathroom placement outside the keyed occupied area, is well appointed with an abundance of "cute" pillows and a comfortable enough bed, but the bathroom situation is substandard, its shower unable to be turned off completely, dripping all night, and its sink unstable and moist at its pedestal base, hinting at some leakage problem. It would be easy to overlook these wastes of water by housekeeping in its in-and-out mode, but to wait until someone like me points out the issues is to give the impression that the rooms are not routinely inspected. Furthermore, that when the guest is absent from the room, the bathroom is open enough to be a publicly used one fosters a sense of insecurity. All personal items need removal from the bathroom area before taking a tour of the town. Keying the room's bathroom from the main hall would solve the guest's problem, but absent the keying hints at an actual desire of management to have the restroom available on the floor to more than just the paying guest. Attitude is a major part of bed and breakfast lodgings, and not reviewing or securing the room is part of attitude, in my opinion. Couple these issues with breakfast is served to the room but at the cook's convenience, and one can see why I could reach a conclusion that the management at Headlands Inn Mendocino does not recognize what a vacation means to the traveler. To eat breakfast sometime after 9 AM whenever it is ready after then is really too loose for travelers who, like me, arise early ready to eat and then exit to see the sea and shops. At check-in no other options were given us to eat otherwise any kind of included breakfast. Perhaps if management would alert all in their bookings of breakfast options and when the hot breakfast is otherwise likely served, then wise choices can be comfortably made, but my booking party was not given this information about breakfast (9AM and after) until we checked in, where upon we asked if we could be served earliest together, no later than 9 AM, with a perfunctory "Yes, 9 or perhaps 8:45" answered and note made. Breakfast was good enough but not served until after 9, and not concurrently to our two rooms. We knew nothing about other onsite breakfast options. To me these are all easy enough problems for management to solve in recognition that the paying guests deserve excellent accommodation, not only roomwise but needswise. It is after all their vacation, not management's. Hopefully this review will guide all parties not to rationalize but solve issues related to this lodging

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
7 Thank nthnth
SweetdreamsMendocino, Owner at Headlands Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 16 November 2011
We’re sorry that this guest was not given a choice of room! But I’m not sure if a different room would have made much difference to someone who found only wrong with their stay! It sounds like they liked our breakfasts? But they had a problem with when it was served? Note: Without repeating myself, please read the owner response to a review below, with explanation of our breakfast schedule. Side note: Just today while checking-in guests, I informed them that we start serving breakfast between 8:45-9:00 am – they said “perfect”! Which is generally the response from most guests who take the idea of a vacation getaway seriously! Now in response to Annie’s bathroom comments: We’re not sure what the guests problem was with the whole bathroom door thing, because there are two privacy doors between the hall and bathroom – a door that enters the room area and another door to the bathroom itself. Annie’s Room is the only room located at the end of a hall where no one but Annie’s guests are allowed. In fact, I’ve had a guest comment that Annie’s Room felt like a private mini suite. And the problem with the drippy sink -- after breakfast the guest came in and notified us that there was water dripping from behind the sink – but didn’t say anything about a drippy shower! – which we assume was not turned off tightly, because it hasn’t dripped since! Well, when one of our staff checked out the sink, he saw that the pedestal sink was loose from the wall and a piece of the ceramic was on the floor. Some how the sink was moved, which broke the mount to the wall, which broke the pipe to the drain. We have very capable and informative housekeepers, and nothing was reported to us prior to the guests arrival regarding sink damage, or a water leak in Annie’s bathroom. Of course, we assumed the current guest broke it, but we just fixed it without blame. We’ve come to the conclusion a long time ago – sorry, but some people just are not B&B people! And we’re so thankful for those that are, and who are so appreciative to what we have to offer! Thank you!
Sonoma, California
Reviewed 8 November 2011

The Headlands Inn is a "magical" place. My husband took me to Mendocino in 1996 and it had been my first time there. Mendocino is a spectacular place and offers incredible vistas, excellent quality air, and beauty beyond one's imagination. The Headlands Inn offers unforgettable hospitality, organic and delicious breakfast at your door in the comforts of your own room, and sweet little touches that peak the senses - such as a cozy reading room with afternoon sherry, cookies, nuts etc. We've stayed at the Headlands Inn four times as of last weekend and I'm already thinking about going back. Enjoy.. you won't regret it.

Room Tip: Any room works - beds are all incredibly comfortable!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple