“Our favorite dog friendly spot in California”

Stanford Inn by the Sea
Ranked #6 of 25 Mendocino B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Flagstaff, AZ
“Our favorite dog friendly spot in California”
Reviewed 28 May 2012

My husband and I spent three nights in a suite at the Stanford Inn in May 2012 We had not been back for several years and found it to be even nicer than what we remembered.

The best part of this place is their attitude toward dogs. They are just one of the guests! They are allowed in the restaurant, public areas as well as the room.

Staff was helpful. Grounds are beautiful. Location is great! Room was cozy with lots of wood for the fireplace.

I'm not that keen on the Vegan thing. I'm OK with vegetarian but prefered coffee in my room where I could have milk in the 'fridge. They do a nice job with the food but one Vegan dinner is enough for me. No worries though, there are great places to eat in Mendicino. And I appreciate the Innkeepers committment to the animals of the earth.

Overall, my husband and I love this spot and hope to be back soon.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Banditsmom707
Joan S, Owner at Stanford Inn by the Sea, responded to this review, 10 June 2012
We are honored to be able to offer a little piece of paradise for folks like you, who like to get away with their furry little ones :) Hope to see you all again soon!

All our best.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Petaluma
Reviewed 11 April 2012

I was searching for a special way to commemorate my 50th birthday and the Stanford Inn has for quite a while been near the top of my list of places I hoped to visit. Having read the reviews beforehand I was really looking forward to learning what this legendary place was really like. I can honestly say that it exceeded my expectations. What most impressed me was the pretty location near the ocean, and the absolutely beautiful grounds. However I was also pleasantly surprised by the room itself which was absolutely spotless - very, very clean. That kind of thing is important to me and I was very satisfied. The beds were quite comfortable, especially based on some of the lesser reviews. They were firm which I prefer and everything seemed very clean and presentable. Generally I would say that the place has a very well-attended woodland charm. Ivy tumbling from every beam and fresh flowers simply everywhere you looked. The natural cedar-framed walkways were very soothing and inviting. It is a very peaceful place. We had a room near the Inn's main entrance and it had a very pretty view of the gardens and of the ocean. We could watch the llamas reclining under their tree and watch the crows endlessly play in the tree tops. The pool and spa were quite nice. The pool is large and I completed quite a few laps which was invigorating. The jacuzzi was surrounded by flowers and very peaceful. We were surprised and delighted to hear of the complimentary cake and tea/coffee in the afternoon. The vegan carrot cake was outstanding. My birthday dinner was quite good and the cake was excellent. I really appreciated our server Zach. He was quite pleasant and made us feel very welcome. My only regret is for having made the reservation for one night. It is not the kind of place that you want to rush through but we did our best to absorb the Stanford Inn's many charms in the short time that we had.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
So honored we were able to lend a hand in helping you celebrate your birthday. I so enjoyed reading your review! It sounds like you had a truly beautiful time here at the Inn, which is what we always hope for our guests. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the restaurant and the cake! Yum! We will definitely pass on your compliments to Zach, we agree that he is wonderful. Looking forward to your next visit, we can't wait to welcome you back!
los angeles
Reviewed 10 April 2012

I am just going to keep it simple:

The Stanford inn is a wonderful place. The rooms are clean & breakfast is great!
The staff has gone downhill. Guests should feel welcomed; instead the FRONT DESK staff can sometimes make you feel like more of an inconvenience!

Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank 1momLosAngeles
Joan S, Owner at Stanford Inn by the Sea, responded to this review, 6 May 2012
We are glad to hear you enjoyed our Inn and the breakfast!

I know that when you came to the lobby to check-in it was prior to 8:00am, which is the time that our lobby opens for the day. Our front desk staff informed you that your room was not yet ready, as it was very early and the current occupants had not yet checked out. We were told that this upset you.

We understand the desire to be checked into your room upon arrival, especially after a long drive. However, 8:00am is a very difficult time to expect to do so, as our check-out time is Noon and check-in time is between 4:00pm and 9:00pm.

We are so sorry that you felt like an inconvenience, that is certainly never our intention!
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We came to the Stanford Inn, for the second time, with my parents and our two children. Everyone had a fantastic time. The staff were friendly and welcoming, including the front desk, chambermaids, and everyone in the restaurant. Our children loved visiting dog-owners outside the restaurant and playing in the indoor pool. We loved sitting by the fireplace after the kids were asleep. My parents loved the vegan restaurant, where we didn't have to worry about their food allergies. It is an amazingly restful place though there is plenty to do in the area, should you feel adventurous. We were very sad to leave, and look forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor have a better view, but you really can't go wrong.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Stanford Inn is not everyone's cup of antioxidant tea. On gorgeous grounds by the Little river, there's an expansive stretch down the garden over the highway to a distant but beautiful ocean view. The vegetable gardens are replete with spitting llama. Bicycles are available to ride to town, canoes available to explore the river. The pool and hot tub area have an inside/outside quality - safe from sun and rain, but not oppressive and smelly like a typical indoor pool. There's Raven's, a vegan/vegetarian restaurant (excellent by these standards) where you can actually dine with your dog (just outside the restaurant in the parlor area). Wood burning fireplaces, free sumptuous breakfasts in the dining room and a feel of Northern California/Redwoods/Mendo that permeates the ambience. The downside: a kind of holier-than-thou preciousness that can feel abrasive at times. (others have commented on the aloofness of the front desk - I would concur - others, however, might experience this as the quiet carefulness of seasoned yogis). If you are a vegan, an animal lover, or a true believer (of the Northern California kind), welcome to heaven. If not, keep reading!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Healdsburg
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I visited the Stanford Inn last week for a quick getaway with my mom from Sonoma. We stayed in one of the Suites which has a bedroom with a separate living room, and a deck which had a view of the property and ocean. The bed in the room was super comfortable, we loved it! And the wood burning fireplace was an excellent, cozy touch for a cool evening. We happened to luck out with the weather, and had amazing sunny skies while we were there. The grounds of the property are beautiful, with flower and vegetable gardens to walk in, llamas, etc. We didn't take advantage of the canoeing on the river or the bike riding, but it was a nice feature (maybe next time!). In the afternoon we went into the dining room for their tea time, and had tea paired with a home-made, vegan, chocolate mousse which was delicious! The breakfast was also delicious; their restaurant is completely vegan which is not the way I typically eat, but it was very good, we were both pleasantly surprised!
The hotel is just a couple minutes away from the downtown, which has a lot of great shopping, and we went to the edge of town to the headlands park, where we were able to spot some whales! All in all, it was a perfect quick getaway, I would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the Forest Suites, which is at the far end of the hotel with great views!
Fairfax, California
Reviewed 20 March 2012

I brought my three daughters to the Stanford Inn for a mommy/daughter getaway, and we absolutely loved our time there. As you drive in, you pass organic gardens on your left and a paradise of greenery and flowers all around. The girls were literally squealing with delight, and I was as well, in my somewhat quieter way...
Our room was everything we could want. We stayed in the Big River Suite, and it was more than enough room for the four of us. The bedroom has a king bed and it's own TV (which the girls never even asked to turn on; that alone says plenty about this place), and, most delightful, french doors leading to a large deck. The views from the deck were beautiful and calming, stretching across the gardens to the ocean beyond. We could also see Mendocino village. I found the beds very comfortable, and I have to say I'm completely perplexed by previous reviews that griped about the feather beds. Really, griping about feather beds??? I usually wake up several times a night, and this was the first time I have slept through the night in years.
The living room area was spacious and inviting, including a desk, a table (set with four big cookies and a note from the owners welcoming us), a long console with a tv, a cd player and some relaxing instrumental cds, plenty of places to sit, and another deck. The girls loved the room, and happily spread out with their books and their drawing pads. My youngest daughter was so thrilled with it all that she made detailed drawings of the room so that she could later show my husband "our elegant vacation place". We were so happy that we decided to stay another night. Our suite was already rented that night, so they showed us a few options and offered to help us move our things. The second room was as lovely as the first.
There were cozy bathrobes hanging in the closet, which the girls quickly donned so that they could feel like they were "being elegant". The robes were handy for more than prancing around in: they kept us nice and cozy later at the pool.
We went down and rented bikes right off the bat so we could see the estuary nearby. Bike rentals are free with the stay, and we were set up with bikes and helmets by a friendly man who also suggested other great outdoor activities in the area. We set off in the rain (!!) for a bike ride along the estuary, and although we got wet, we had a great time. We got back in time to change for afternoon dessert, which was also complimentary. A week before we came to the Inn, we found out that my youngest daughter is allergic to eggs, gluten and tomatoes, so eating out will no doubt be tricky. But not here. They brought her a gluten-free dessert, including a piece of chocolate, so instead of feeling sad about what she couldn't have, they made her feel special. I really appreciated that. We then spent lots of time in the pool and hot tub. Lots of plants and light, a really pleasant place to be. There was a sauna as well, so by the time we left we were all relaxed, and hungry for dinner.
Dinner was delicious. Our family is not vegan, not even vegetarian, although we are moving in that direction. We are, however, foodies to a rather silly extreme. We've eaten all kinds of food, at all kinds of price points, and after a while it's uncommon to be surprised with anything utterly new. This was new. And delicious. Flavors that I had never experienced. And I felt so good that the girls and I were eating foods that were really good for us. The girls loved the restaurant, so much so that we came back the second night as well. Again, my youngest daughter was accommodated with gluten-free options. Cheerfully, I might add.
The girls were interested in the garden and asked the front desk staff if they could offer to work for a bit with the gardeners. They walkie-talkied the garden folks, and we made a plan to meet up. They were offered the option of threshing wheat by hand, which we all did with Jamie in the little gardening shed. We removed the wheatberries from the stalks and the chaff, sifting carefully as we went along. They were amazed to see that this is where flour comes from. Jamie also showed us the garden, and offered to let us help with tomato seedlings. The girls were so happy to be a part of what would later become a meal at the Inn.
We never left the property until it was time to go home, so we didn't discover until late in the game that the car key had gone missing. The front desk staff were so nice as we were flapping around trying to find it. They contacted Jamie to see if it was in the shed, and the bike rental place to see if it might be there. Really nice.
My ten-year-old daughter picked a wildflower bouquet and wrote a thank-you note to the owner, she was so happy. And I was so thrilled that I had to write my first tripadvisor review ever. Stanford Inn knocks it out of the park!

Room Tip: Be sure to rent bikes and see the estuary. Have dinner at the Ravens. Food is inventive, unique, d...
1 Thank Joan B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mendocino
1.0 km away
0.9 km away
Blue Door Inn
Blue Door Inn
#9 of 25 in Mendocino

Been to Stanford Inn by the Sea? Share your experiences!