“Truly close to nature”

Stanford Inn by the Sea
Ranked #6 of 25 Mendocino B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Everything from the layout of the rooms on a hillside with Pacific views to the grounds and gardens and the pet-friendy status (dating from before this was common or popular) to the vegan food and the canoe trips on the adjacent river, this a place with a particular and consistent point-of-view. This was our third stay; we do not travel with our pets and we are omnivores.....so the appeal of the place goes beyond those features.On this trip we planned to dine at their restaurant Ravens the first night because it would be a convenient end to a long travel day, and we liked the food and menu so much we also ate there another evening. If vegan is not your thing Mendocino is so accessible with many restaurant choices there. On the second night, the evening was warm, we went into town for takeout pizza, and bought a bottle of wine from the Inn, and had the meal on our balcony watching the sun set over the Pacific. Consider renting a canoe from the adjacent rental, we do this on every trip, but pay attention to the tides to avoid paddling against them, and the canoe rental people can help you pinpoint the best times. Try to do a drive through the redwoods as part of the stay but definitely NOT the same day you may try the local wineries! Over the past 14 years since our first stay here we have seen a lot of new wineries, of varying quality, pop up along the roads south of Mendocino. One to try is Husch, the antithesis of Napa Valley glam and style, but great wines especially whites and a warm welcome at the tasting room. Our only disaapointment: there are no "house cats" anymore which alsways gave the place a homey touch and a good feeling about critters needing and finding homes.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hazelmom
Joan S, Owner at Stanford Inn by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to tell about your experience at the Inn - it's so nice to hear you enjoyed it all! Also, thank you for returning to the Inn after all of these years, we truly appreciate all of our "returners". We hope to welcome the two of you back again sometime.

All our best.

There are newer reviews for Stanford Inn by the Sea

Reviewed 28 May 2012

My husband and I spent three nights in a suite at the Stanford Inn in May 2012 We had not been back for several years and found it to be even nicer than what we remembered.

The best part of this place is their attitude toward dogs. They are just one of the guests! They are allowed in the restaurant, public areas as well as the room.

Staff was helpful. Grounds are beautiful. Location is great! Room was cozy with lots of wood for the fireplace.

I'm not that keen on the Vegan thing. I'm OK with vegetarian but prefered coffee in my room where I could have milk in the 'fridge. They do a nice job with the food but one Vegan dinner is enough for me. No worries though, there are great places to eat in Mendicino. And I appreciate the Innkeepers committment to the animals of the earth.

Overall, my husband and I love this spot and hope to be back soon.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Banditsmom707

We are honored to be able to offer a little piece of paradise for folks like you, who like to get away with their furry little ones :) Hope to see you all again soon!

All our best.

Reviewed 11 April 2012

I was searching for a special way to commemorate my 50th birthday and the Stanford Inn has for quite a while been near the top of my list of places I hoped to visit. Having read the reviews beforehand I was really looking forward to learning what this legendary place was really like. I can honestly say that it exceeded my expectations. What most impressed me was the pretty location near the ocean, and the absolutely beautiful grounds. However I was also pleasantly surprised by the room itself which was absolutely spotless - very, very clean. That kind of thing is important to me and I was very satisfied. The beds were quite comfortable, especially based on some of the lesser reviews. They were firm which I prefer and everything seemed very clean and presentable. Generally I would say that the place has a very well-attended woodland charm. Ivy tumbling from every beam and fresh flowers simply everywhere you looked. The natural cedar-framed walkways were very soothing and inviting. It is a very peaceful place. We had a room near the Inn's main entrance and it had a very pretty view of the gardens and of the ocean. We could watch the llamas reclining under their tree and watch the crows endlessly play in the tree tops. The pool and spa were quite nice. The pool is large and I completed quite a few laps which was invigorating. The jacuzzi was surrounded by flowers and very peaceful. We were surprised and delighted to hear of the complimentary cake and tea/coffee in the afternoon. The vegan carrot cake was outstanding. My birthday dinner was quite good and the cake was excellent. I really appreciated our server Zach. He was quite pleasant and made us feel very welcome. My only regret is for having made the reservation for one night. It is not the kind of place that you want to rush through but we did our best to absorb the Stanford Inn's many charms in the short time that we had.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends

So honored we were able to lend a hand in helping you celebrate your birthday. I so enjoyed reading your review! It sounds like you had a truly beautiful time here at the Inn, which is what we always hope for our guests. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the restaurant and the cake! Yum! We will definitely pass on your compliments to Zach, we agree that he is wonderful. Looking forward to your next visit, we can't wait to welcome you back!

Reviewed 10 April 2012

I am just going to keep it simple:

The Stanford inn is a wonderful place. The rooms are clean & breakfast is great!
The staff has gone downhill. Guests should feel welcomed; instead the FRONT DESK staff can sometimes make you feel like more of an inconvenience!

Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank 1momLosAngeles
Joan S, Owner at Stanford Inn by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2012

We are glad to hear you enjoyed our Inn and the breakfast!

I know that when you came to the lobby to check-in it was prior to 8:00am, which is the time that our lobby opens for the day. Our front desk staff informed you that your room was not yet ready, as it was very early and the current occupants had not yet checked out. We were told that this upset you.

We understand the desire to be checked into your room upon arrival, especially after a long drive. However, 8:00am is a very difficult time to expect to do so, as our check-out time is Noon and check-in time is between 4:00pm and 9:00pm.

We are so sorry that you felt like an inconvenience, that is certainly never our intention!

Reviewed 9 April 2012

We came to the Stanford Inn, for the second time, with my parents and our two children. Everyone had a fantastic time. The staff were friendly and welcoming, including the front desk, chambermaids, and everyone in the restaurant. Our children loved visiting dog-owners outside the restaurant and playing in the indoor pool. We loved sitting by the fireplace after the kids were asleep. My parents loved the vegan restaurant, where we didn't have to worry about their food allergies. It is an amazingly restful place though there is plenty to do in the area, should you feel adventurous. We were very sad to leave, and look forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor have a better view, but you really can't go wrong.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Stanford Inn is not everyone's cup of antioxidant tea. On gorgeous grounds by the Little river, there's an expansive stretch down the garden over the highway to a distant but beautiful ocean view. The vegetable gardens are replete with spitting llama. Bicycles are available to ride to town, canoes available to explore the river. The pool and hot tub area have an inside/outside quality - safe from sun and rain, but not oppressive and smelly like a typical indoor pool. There's Raven's, a vegan/vegetarian restaurant (excellent by these standards) where you can actually dine with your dog (just outside the restaurant in the parlor area). Wood burning fireplaces, free sumptuous breakfasts in the dining room and a feel of Northern California/Redwoods/Mendo that permeates the ambience. The downside: a kind of holier-than-thou preciousness that can feel abrasive at times. (others have commented on the aloofness of the front desk - I would concur - others, however, might experience this as the quiet carefulness of seasoned yogis). If you are a vegan, an animal lover, or a true believer (of the Northern California kind), welcome to heaven. If not, keep reading!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I visited the Stanford Inn last week for a quick getaway with my mom from Sonoma. We stayed in one of the Suites which has a bedroom with a separate living room, and a deck which had a view of the property and ocean. The bed in the room was super comfortable, we loved it! And the wood burning fireplace was an excellent, cozy touch for a cool evening. We happened to luck out with the weather, and had amazing sunny skies while we were there. The grounds of the property are beautiful, with flower and vegetable gardens to walk in, llamas, etc. We didn't take advantage of the canoeing on the river or the bike riding, but it was a nice feature (maybe next time!). In the afternoon we went into the dining room for their tea time, and had tea paired with a home-made, vegan, chocolate mousse which was delicious! The breakfast was also delicious; their restaurant is completely vegan which is not the way I typically eat, but it was very good, we were both pleasantly surprised!
The hotel is just a couple minutes away from the downtown, which has a lot of great shopping, and we went to the edge of town to the headlands park, where we were able to spot some whales! All in all, it was a perfect quick getaway, I would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the Forest Suites, which is at the far end of the hotel with great views!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mendocino
1.0 km away
0.9 km away
Blue Door Inn
Blue Door Inn
#9 of 25 in Mendocino

Been to Stanford Inn by the Sea? Share your experiences!