All reviewsstarbucks coffeestanford universitybottled watercaltrain stationsilicon valleyyogurtshower capnice roomwalking distancemini fridgecontinental breakfastcomfortable roomssan franciscoamenitiesslipperskeurigearplugs
Reviewed March 9, 2016 via mobile

Spacious well appointed room has been tastefully renovated as has the entire building. Bathroom a little cramped. Welcome basket containing complimentary bottled water, trail mix & delicious chocolate chip cookie was a nice touch. Continental breakfast included. Complimentary tea & coffee in reception area. Staff very friendly & helpful.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed March 2, 2016

We recently stayed at the MPI while visiting Stanford for Parents Weekend. It's not much to look at from the outside, just an old 1940's style motel. That was where the mediocrity ended. The desk staff was pleasant and informative about the area. The room was very clean and had lots of unexpected extras like a fresh cookie, trail mix, bottles of water, etc. The bed was very comfortable and the bathtub was an unexpected extra. We greatly enjoyed our stay.

Overall I would highly recommend the MPI.

Room Tip: The rooms farthest back from the road have the least noise.
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank David L
Reviewed February 21, 2016

Second stay at MPI. LOVE the location. It's very clean. Staff is very welcoming and hospitable. Bend over backwards to assist. Appreciate the hospitality snacks upon arrival. For best sleep, ask for 2nd floor room. I always manage to get a stomper above me. Otherwise - quiet. #106 could stand a new mattress. Worn on edges! I'm from the south and these guys know hospitality!

Stayed: February 2016
Reviewed February 15, 2016

My wife and I were visiting Menlo Park for a wedding and in need of overnight lodging. I used the web site Trivago and found the Menlo Park Inn in an acceptable price range, and Trip Advisor provided most favorable reviews.

The facility had the appearance of having been fairly recently redone and my Menlo Park friends confirmed the transformation. The décor of the lobby and rooms is modern with bright color and a fresh appearance.

The staff was very friendly but maybe a bit too much so with more ‘happy talk’ than a grumpy old man likes in his attending staff.

The room was a bit small but very well appointed. I have stayed in hundreds of hotel rooms in the past 10 years and this room seemed to have most amenities ever encountered. There was a wooden tray with complementary bottled water, trail mix and a chocolate chip cookie. The desk has ample close at hand power outlets and included a selection of device cables for charging just about anything.

The age of this motel was given away by the bathroom. While clean and providing numerous personal bath amenities, the tile work was from another generation.

On the negative side – the bed was too soft. Mattress firmness is a personal thing, so I cannot hold this against the motel management. However, I can blame them for filthy carpets. I showered after my wife and when I stepped into the already wet bath tub rings of black filth came off the bottom of my feet. It looked as if I had been walking about the parking lot with bare feet.

You might also want to ask for a second floor room. The ceiling above us transmitted not only the walking about of our upstairs neighbors, but even their conversation. This was especially annoying as they returned to their room at about 3AM.

In summary, I would say for the relatively low price we paid for a motel room in Menlo Park, we got what we paid for and perhaps a bit more. Of my three complaints only the filthy carpets are to be blamed on the management, the other two just the luck of the draw in an commercial lodging.

PS for Connie Y – a hotel is where the doors to the room open to an interior hallway. In motel the doors to the rooms open to the outside, usually the parking area. The world motel is a contraction for “motor in hotel.”

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LostLen
Reviewed February 13, 2016 via mobile

This ia a quaint, warm, motor inn that will take you back to the 30s and 40s. The exterior is a refurbished 30s style of western art deco, but with updated rooms and amenities. Andrew handled my checkin, and moved ne to a king bad room (the travel agent set this up and i did not give them preferences.) Then, he decided i was paying too much! My bill went down 50 per day! Everyone else in the hotel greeted me warmly, and reminded us of our discount to Sultana, the local Mediterranean restaurant. Excellent food there too!

Rooms were spacious and updated, including a Kuerig in the room for coffee. Clean and neat, i found no evidence of age in the room.

Only reason they got 4 instead of 5 is that trip advisor and the web shows shuttle service, which they no longer offer. Other than that, i could not have asked for better.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled on business