“Great French Spot”
Review of Bistro Vida

Bistro Vida
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistro Vida is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 129 Restaurants in Menlo Park
Price range: US$25 - US$40
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: El Camino Real
Reviewed November 22, 2016

We are in town for Thansgiving week and wanted to try the local French restaurant. We considered Left Bank but Vida has a much more fun, authentic French look and feel so we were drawn to it. I haven't spent a lot of time in France but we have spent a lot of time looking for good French restaurants in the US. We went to lunch on a weekday and had a great time. It was not crowded on a Monday. The restaurant has a lot of the classic french meals that are created very nicely. We had Moule Mariniere and the Beef Bourguignon and both were great. We miss having a local french restaurant near out house so I have a feeling Vida is going to be a staple date spot for us when we are in town.

Reviewed November 8, 2016

I guess I still have the rogue teenager-boy-quality in me enough to be thrown out of a restaurant I’ve been a repeat customer of forever…

Pointing out to the owner Ali Elsafy that I really like his new online menu, I was served a perfectly warmed cognac and asked not to come back…I guess some people still have hardships launching websites that accurately reflects what they do (without taking it out on their unassuming customers)…I’m at a loss to lose respect for a Francophile watering-hole like this but I will do as asked…Adieu.

Reviewed September 12, 2016

I have been coming here since probably when they opened a long time ago. The service has always been good and the food is always great. Simple but great.

Reviewed August 2, 2016 via mobile

The restaurant was 1/3 full at 6 PM on a Tuesday night. The only person obviously serving as a waiter/host was the owner. There was another guy sort of acting as a busboy.

It was hard to get seated, hard to ask any questions about the menu, hard to get a single glass of water (a single refill only received after an extended wait - I basically went the entire dinner with an empty glass), a gruff reaction when my wife asked for some more bread. No one checked in on us to see how the food was until we were finished.

The simple thing is, the food was pretty good. Unfortunately the atrocious service marred the evening and made us regret stopping in. An overly long wait to order, to be served, to pay, everything.

Frankly, why even open if you don't have the staff to serve customers? The few bucks you bring in will certainly be offset by disappointed locals like us. We MAY be back... Someday... But not for a while.

Reviewed July 31, 2016

This is the 4th or 5th time we've visited! And we will be back many many more times! The food is consistently delicious and there has not been a single meal served there that we haven't greedily enjoyed! Best French Onion Soup I've ever had, mouth-melting Boeuf Bourguignon, superb coq au vin, scummy lamb, and the BEST BEST BEST liver ever served in a restaurant anywhere ever! More than that the service is just warm as well as just right - THANK YOU ALBA - and the owner makes you want to eat there every night of your life just for the welcome and warmth! PS we have spent many many months over the past years in the 'real' Paris and this restaurant holds its own!