“Great location and price that cant be beat... try to get room 114.”

Best Western Plus Riviera
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Menlo Park
Phoenix, AZ
“Great location and price that cant be beat... try to get room 114.”
Reviewed 29 March 2010

This was my 3rd trip to Palo Alto and longest stay of the three. Prices vary in almost every hotel by day and time of year. My previous two trips, I've moved between the Best Western Riviera and the Westin (Palo Alto) to get the best stay for the money but in this case I spent all 6 nights at the BW Riviera. Of the 5 different rooms I've stayed in over 2008-2010, Room 114 was by far the best of the lot for the following reason... the street traffic noise along with the BART can be easily heard from every room except this one... Its tucked away in the corner and is blocked by the northern most block of rooms as well as the main lobby bldg. I'm not sure but I'd think the room directly above this may be slightly louder cause it sits higher than the lobby bldg but is probably a good second choice.

Rm 114 has a comfortable queen bed, a couch/chaise and matching chair along with an office desk & chair. Cable and Wireless internet worked just fine. It has a fabulous bathroom (travertine floors and PERFECTLY CLEAN tiles), and new clean carpet (as of this writing). IF it had a flat screen TV, I'd put in on scale of a much higher end hotel. I've posted pics if your a skeptic.

Now for the (few and minor) complaints of this room... Digital alarm clock was broken, dorm fridge fan was noisy, and in all rooms, there's a 1 inch gap at the bottom of the entry door. Either unplug the fridge or do what i did and place a bar of soap under the front of it... that quieted it down (and its probably still there :-) I also covered the door gap with a towel and threw two pillows over it to help reduce the noise as much as possible. Frankly, I would've enjoyed staying another week if I could. Good luck on getting this room!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank WileEToyote
BW_Riviera, Manager at Best Western Plus Riviera, responded to this review, 8 April 2010
Thak you so much for taking the time to write a comment on Trip Advisor. We always appreciate feedback and strive to improve based on what our customers tell us. Please note we will be looking into the issue with the alarm clock and noisy refridgerator. Thanks again for your comments!

Best Regards,

Beto Flores
Front Office Supervisor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Finnish first
Tacoma WA
Reviewed 13 February 2010

This is my first time staying in Palo Alto so I didn't know what value hotels were in the area. I went straight to Best Western's website, as I was confident that if a BW hotel was avaliable in the area, it would be very good. I wasn't disappointed! The Riviera is a great value for this high-end part of the Penninsula. Next door is the Stanford Shopping Center, restaurants are within a block, and it is central to our needs. The Riviera itself is absolutely lovely. It has a bistro look with a small patio table and chairs in front of each room, ivy climbing the walls, and charming wrought iron railing all around. The rooms are what I've come to expect of BW - clean, spacious, and well appointed for its price range. Well worth the stay! Oh, there's a pool, small gym, substantial continental breakfast, PC, and wireless!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank arlenejoe
Thank you very much for your kind words and for taking the time to leave a comment on Trip Advisor. We here at the Best Western Riviera are glad you enjoyed your stay and our amenities. We thrive on feedback and are glad to know we've met the standards you've come to expect from Best Western. We hope to see you again if you're ever back in the area!

Best regards,

Beto Flores
Front Office Supervisor
Oak Park IL
Reviewed 17 April 2009

We were in Palo Alto to visit family & decided to go with a less pricey hotel since we wouldn't be there that much & we figured we could spend the money we saved on the grands. We have always had reasonably good experiences at Best Westerns & so chose this hotel (also closest to family.) One absolute must for us was wireless internet (preferably free.) This hotel advertised free WIFI but we couldn't get it to work, it seemed not to be turned on. So partner went to the front desk & was told they would send someone to look at it. When no one had come 36 hours later, he called the 800 number for the provider on the equipment & was told that they had not yet been connected - maybe in another 3 weeks. So their claim of Wifi was a flat out lie. They have a free continental breakfast from 6:30 to 9:00 but the food tended to run out about a half hour early. It appears that they have set a limit on how much food they want to provide &, when that limit is reached, no more food. Housekeeping ignored our do not disturb sign & tried to enter our room while we were dressing (the "deadbolt" lock didn't work - we were reduced to putting a chair under the door knob to ensure our privacy.) When they did clean, it was very cursory - fresh towels & maybe cleaning the bathroom & "making" the beds (ie throwing the top sheet & blankets up over the bottom sheet - not even smoothing them out) - no vacuuming & only occasional emptying of waste baskets. The sheets were not fitted, did not stay in place very well & had small holes in them. We generally showered toward the end of the time when the business travelers were showering & on 3 occasions we had to wait over ½ hour for hot water (really ice cold). One evening, we had the grands spend the night with us & one wanted to shower before bed - there was no hot water at 8:00 at night! We had asked 2 days in advance if it was OK to have the grands stay & if we could get a cot. We were assured that it would not be a problem & that the cot would be placed in our room when they cleaned it. Nothing further was said & 2 days later, when we returned with the children, NO COT! When we asked about it, we were told it wouldn't fit! No explanation for why they didn't know that when we had originally asked (& provided our room #) or why thay hadn't said anything in the meantime. Fortunately the children are small & could sleep in our beds with us. The parking is located under the building with one very steep ramp leading to El Camino Real (a very busy street). There is a bush located (on hotel property) at the top of the ramp - making it almost impossible to see the stream of traffic you are about to enter. The elevator from the parking area to the rooms is very tiny & smelled very strongly of mildew - the inspection certificate had expired on 02/05/08. The info about the hotel in the binder in the room indicated 2 free bottles of water but that happened only on 2 of the 9 days we spent there. The fruit in the lobby was sporadic also. The hot tub was not working. The room itself was OK & the water pressure in the shower was good (not always the case even in fairly expensive hotels) but the heating/cooling unit was under the sinks - right next to the bathroom which meant that often one walked into a blast of icy air as upon leaving the shower. Not enough to make up for all the shortfalls. Positives were a good location (right across from Stanford Mall) & the washers were only $.75 & the dryers were free.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank grandma_dst

Travellers are raving about these Menlo Park hotels

Redding, Cal
Reviewed 13 April 2009

Stayed there for three nights while going to Stanford Hospital, not too bad.. told them that I would be coming back to hospital in two weeks and they said that we could have the same rate. When I returned they raised the rate $20.00 a nite. I reminded them of our conversation and that I would be returning every other week for two months. They did not care a bit and told me not to use the internet as the prices change dailey,,what? I went down the street to the Creek Side and got a better place for less. Won't stay at Best Western Riviera again. Don't count on getting the posted price.

Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 26 August 2008

In an area bereft of sanely-priced lodgings the BW Riviera may be the best choice in a limited lineup. Absent nearby Hampton Inns or Marriott Courtyards, this may be the best place --albeit an overpriced one-- to spend a couple of nights. The adequately refurbished rooms can't hide their 60s-70s vintage. Self-serve breakfast right off the reception desk is the usual for this level of hostelry --wannabe bagels, hard-boiled eggs, fruit juice, yogurt, cereal, etc. Internet connections, available in rooms, is fast and desk chairs are comfortable. All in all, OK but hardly worth more words.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
Washington, DC
Reviewed 9 July 2008

I stayed in this hotel for one night prior to a meeting at Stanford. Previous reviews had me a bit worried, but I found the hotel to be very comfortable. It was the best price I could find close to Stanford. Check-in was fast and efficient, even on a night when they were sold out.

It is like an "upscale motor lodge". Rooms open to the outside. My room (standard 1 King) was clean and on par with most business hotels I have stayed at. Rooms have a small microwave, fridge and sink. The bathroom had clean tile and appeared to have been remodeled within the last couple of years. Two complimentary bottles of water were provided.

The room and linens were very clean. It was quiet and I had no problems with noise.

The pool is pretty small, you won't be swimming laps but it is good to cool off after a long day. Kids would probably find it adequate to splash around in.

The breakfast spread is continental, as advertised. Donuts, bagels, toast, cereal, muffins, juice, coffee, plus some pre-packaged items you can heat up, like breakfast burritos.

Internet access worked perfectly. I had dinner at the Stanford Shopping Center (one block away) and the next day went back to the shopping center and caught the free Stanford Shuttle to get to my meeting on campus (visitor parking on campus requires you to feed quarters into meters--ride the shuttle). The shuttle picks up on the opposite side of the shopping center, so it's a 2-3 block walk.

In all, a pleasant stay. It's not a five star hotel, but my experience here was great; no complaints.

• Liked — Clean and comfortable, easy walk to shopping center
  • Disliked — Room was a bit pricey, but still the best rate I could find near Stanford over my dates.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
Chicago
Reviewed 6 August 2007

Faciltiy is nice; staff smiles ... But, during my entire stay (3 nights) had no internet access ... at the heart of Silicon Valley!

Within 15 min of my arrival, I told the front desk I had no internet access (LAN cable) in the room. Eventually, they had me talk to their provider (conclusion "probably the wall jack"). Meanwhile another guest also found he had no internet access. The next morning, the front desk told me they would have their provider come out and get everything working. In the evening, the evening staff knew not hing of the problem, nor anything having been fixed and it wasn't. Same drill the next day. On the day I left, there was still no internet access (the staff was aware of 6 rooms without internet access).

My point is not that something didn't work (stuff happens). But, after 4 days, there was (still) no acknowledgement of the continuing problem ("Try it. see if it works now"). Meanwhile, the front desk had internet access the whole time, but never offered to string a cable or something. It was as if they didn't care. Bottomline: If you need to do work using the Internet, don't stay here.

• Liked — The facility
  • Disliked — Internet access (there was none)
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
1.6 km away
Menlo Park Inn
Menlo Park Inn
#4 of 10 in Menlo Park

Been to Best Western Plus Riviera? Share your experiences!