New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of InterContinental The Clement Monterey

InterContinental The Clement Monterey
Ranked #3 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
San Francisco
“Top Hotel in a Great Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

This hotel is well located, one block from the Aquarium and right on Cannery Row. The valet parking is convenient but not inexpensive. The lobby is welcoming, the restaurant is very attractive with a nautical theme, our breakfast was very good, and the guest rooms were well appointed. The rooms were large enough for me, my daughter, and two little ones. The bathroom was new and well done. The only complaint was that the amenities, like soap, shampoo etc. were very tiny. For that quality of hotel I would have expected more.
The staff was excellent and so helpful.
Even though they say there is a pool, it is really a lap pool because of city restrictions on the amount of chlorinated water that can be used. So not much room is allocated to the pool area. The children could use it was not a true pool. We did not use the gym, but it certainly looked good.
This is the best location in Monterey for the Aquarium and for being able to walk out for shopping, eating, and getting to the pier.

Room Tip: Some rooms overlook the main street. We were on the third floor and we were not impacted by the noi...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (641)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Walnut Creek, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

The InterContinental The Clement is an absolutely gorgeous hotel- very sleek and sophisticated with a top notch staff. Everything was impeccable. Very close to the aquarium, and in the heart of Cannery Row, yet a serene oasis. We took my 85 year old father for Easter. I wanted him to be pampered - he loved it!

Room Tip: The balcony and fireplace in our partial oceanview room was a treat! The ambiance is very romantic...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Having been to Monterey several times to visit family, we finally decided to stay and visit as tourists. My husband booked the Intercontinental for one night based on location and comfort and of course the wow factor. If we are only going to stay one night, might as well do it right! Right? Or so I thought. We were booked into a corner interior room which was very spacious b/c it held 2 double beds and a long couch. The beds were okay not as comfortable as I would have expected from a hotel of this star ranking. The front desk did not seem customer service oriented. I had called down in the middle of the night to ask if they had allergy medicine and all the front desk person said was 'no'. No offer for suggestions on where to obtain it or how to make it easier for us to get it especially in the middle of the night. For a hotel of this caliber, I would think there shouldn't have been a no in the first place. When we approached the front desk to check out, the person at the desk did not even ask us how our stay was, which also took me by surprise for this type of hotel.

I would have given the Intercontinental a lower rating if it weren't for the superb service of the bell desk and the valet service. The front desk at this hotel could learn a tip or five from these guys w/their friendly attitude and empathy. Another star of course for the location which can't be beat if you want to do the tourist thing. And I also enjoyed the complimentary water in the rooms.

I will probably not return to this hotel again although we frequent this area often. I actually found a friendlier and customer service oriented place up the street.

Room Tip: Corner rooms seem more spacious
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental The Clement Monterey, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
Dear form2,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us. I am deeply sorry we fell below your expectations. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Katie J
IHGCare
Red Wing, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012 via mobile

The staff was great, they went out of their way to help us surprise my sister. Rooms were great!

Stayed March 2012

2) Plush comfortable beds
3) Nice toilet
4) Good-sized bath for relaxing
5) Great service
6) Valet. Very very useful when you have luggage to deal with.

Minus points:
1) Why on earth do I have to pay for internet at InterContinental when small inns along Big Sur, Lucia and SLO can provide it free?! It's insane.
2) Pillows are reaaaaally soft. No support for the neck.

Room Tip: Pay more to get sea view. I wish I did ... would have been worth it.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

We had the pleasure of staying at the Clement Monterey toward the end of 8 day summer road trip with our 10 year old and 2 year old. After staying at a variety of accommodations from cabins to motels we were ready for some luxury and The Clement Monterey did not disappoint!

From the Valet ( who was very understanding of our car packed with a weeks full of supplies for camping) to the front desk and the bellmen the staff was professional and helpful.

The hotel itself is beautiful.The cape cod style and the view of the ocean are serine and harmonious with the amazing location. Our room was located on the opposite side of the street from the lobby, accessible by bridge over the street or street access. Our room was the most basic offered and was perfect for us. The bed was amazingly comfortable. The balcony and view of the lively street and ocean were wonderful, but there were no noise issues at night. The bathroom was large and modern.

One of the best features of this hotel is its proximity to the Monterey Bay Aquarium. It is less than a block away on a wonderful street full of restaurants and shops. If you are traveling with children I would highly recommend this property. Our 2 year old needed a mid day nap and being so close to the Aquarium allowed us to have him sleep in his bed and return to the aquarium in time to enjoy the rest of the day!
I was concerned when I first viewed the pictures of the property that my 2 year old would not be welcome, but that could not be further from the truth. When I spoke to the desk staff they told me of all that they offer from a kids club with a climbing wall to strollers, ect. My boys loved walking back and forth over the bridge and the beautiful glass jelly sculpture that hangs over one hallway creating a light show. (Hard to explain, but check out my photos)

Room Tip: Even the street side rooms are wonderful.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Heather R
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

I stayed here with my boyfriend on a little weekend getaway at the end of March. I can't think of one negative thing to say about this hotel. From the valet and door service, to check in at the front desk (Maria) everyone was so warm and welcoming. Our room was beautiful with a balcony and fireplace with a partial view of the gorgeous bay. Service at the C Bar was also wonderful and the drinks were perfect. The concierge service was also above and beyond (thanks Wayne!). You can't go wrong with the location of the hotel which is right on Cannery Row among great restaurants, bars and shops, not to mention the famous Monterey Bay Aquarium (which you can purchase tickets for with the concierge). All in all, everyone at the hotel made our stay in Monterey quite a memorable one and we will most definitely be staying here again, hopefully soon!

Room Tip: If you are looking for a casual but delicious breakfast spot try First Awakenings! And definitely tr...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple