“not as impressed as others”

InterContinental The Clement Monterey
Ranked #2 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Lots of good reviews here - we were not as impressed. The price was pretty high for the neighborhood - Cannery Row is OK but this area does not warrant the hotel prices. They gave us a very poor room and had to ask to be moved so as to not be looking at a dirty air shaft (they did move us to a better room when we complained). The initial desk representative acted somewhat arrogantly - please don't take yourself so seriously. Told that there was no parking other than valet (not true) and were subjected to the $21 per day valet charge. Had a reservation for the restaurant in the hotel "C Restaurant" but looked at the menu and prices seemed too high. Charging for Internet is another stupid idea. We are certainly willing to pay for quality but we did not see it here. There are other options in the area - explore them. BTW - had planned to give the hotel feedback directly but they did not request it and I could find nowhere to provide it.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental The Clement Monterey, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2012

Dear jefcon,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. We hope you enjoyed your room accommodations. I am deeply sorry you found the service provided by our hotel staff less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reference # 27748189

Reviewed 13 April 2012

Level of service was TOP-NOTCH, ATTENTIVE, and PROFESSIONAL. My husband and I could not have been happier. I was sooo very glad and happy that we had our wedding reception at the Clement Monterey. The catering manager, Nicole Lisanne, and her team were AWESOME. She was very detail-oriented and paid very close attention to my every need, and as a bride, we all know how important that is! Every time we met with Nicole, she had all of her questions and suggestions ready. She was always prepared. And every time we emailed her with questions, she always responded promptly.

In the middle of 2011, Jerome and I fell in love with the scenery and the ambiance of the Clement hotel. But of course, it was veryyyyy expensive. So we had decided to look elsewhere. Almost a year later, my husband gets an email from Nicole Lisanne, inquiring about our wedding plans. He had written to her that we could not afford such a place. But she really worked with our budget and gave us different options. She even sent us a whole timeline in the email that she wrote back to us.

Because of our tight budget, we ended up with chicken/vegetarian for 170 guests. Surprisingly, the food was GREAT. A lot of our guests raved about how it was the best wedding food that they had.

As you know, there are a lot of LITTLE things in a wedding such as setting up party favors, menus, engagement photos for display, etc. Because I was walking down the aisle elsewhere, I was not able to set up my own tables. While I was stressing out, trying to figure out a solution, Nicole was kind enough to take over and set up the tables for me. When we came back to the hotel for the reception, I was worried as to what the tables, decor, room, i.e. would look like. But mannnn... when I stepped into the ballroom, I was totally WOW'ed. Everything was perfect. Nicole and her staff are very dependable. They really made sure that all vendors (cupcake lady, florist, and DJ) set up in time.

They just took real good care of us. I had to go back and forth between the hotel (Monterey) and Salinas, which was where I had to get my hair done. Every time I approached the valet personnel and mentioned that I was the bride, they quickly brought out the car and took real care. They were always smiling and saying things like "congratulations," "have a great day," or "hope you enjoy the Clement." The staff being so nice and attentive really made a bride feel like a "bride." It was definitely a special day.

I can go on and on about how great the Clement is. I really recommend the Clement as a wedding venue. It really is a special place for a special event.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Iris G
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Central location, in the middle of everything you want to see, and just a few doors from the aquarium. Tasteful decor, helpful professional staff and very comfortable rooms.

There's a nice quality feeling throughout all aspects of the hotel - I'd recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank roughrob
Reviewed 12 April 2012

We checked in and what a beautiful place it was. Everyone was so professional and friendly. We valet parked our car for 24 hours and there is a charge for it but worth it. The hotel room had a small balcony and you can see, smell and hear the ocean. We walked around Cannery row and did a little shopping. Bubba Gump is right next door to the hotel and the dinner was wonderful. Highly recommand it to anyone who likes to be pampered and enjoy themself.

Room Tip: Ask for the ocean view rooms.
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Cannot recommend this hotel enough. Fantastic rooms, We were upgraded to a very large and classy room with a lovely sea view. We normally stay in nice hotels but this had a fire in the room which i have never seen before, The concierge and doormen went absolutely out of there way to help and offer advice if required and just a lovely, classy hotel. Gutted we were only staying a night !!!

Room Tip: The hotel has 2 sections but both have sea views so see if you can get one,
Reviewed 10 April 2012

This hotel is well located, one block from the Aquarium and right on Cannery Row. The valet parking is convenient but not inexpensive. The lobby is welcoming, the restaurant is very attractive with a nautical theme, our breakfast was very good, and the guest rooms were well appointed. The rooms were large enough for me, my daughter, and two little ones. The bathroom was new and well done. The only complaint was that the amenities, like soap, shampoo etc. were very tiny. For that quality of hotel I would have expected more.
The staff was excellent and so helpful.
Even though they say there is a pool, it is really a lap pool because of city restrictions on the amount of chlorinated water that can be used. So not much room is allocated to the pool area. The children could use it was not a true pool. We did not use the gym, but it certainly looked good.
This is the best location in Monterey for the Aquarium and for being able to walk out for shopping, eating, and getting to the pier.

Room Tip: Some rooms overlook the main street. We were on the third floor and we were not impacted by the noi...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 April 2012

The InterContinental The Clement is an absolutely gorgeous hotel- very sleek and sophisticated with a top notch staff. Everything was impeccable. Very close to the aquarium, and in the heart of Cannery Row, yet a serene oasis. We took my 85 year old father for Easter. I wanted him to be pampered - he loved it!

Room Tip: The balcony and fireplace in our partial oceanview room was a treat! The ambiance is very romantic...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family