“A pleasant surprise and good value”

Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel and Spa on Del Monte Golf Course
Ranked #21 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Jose, California
“A pleasant surprise and good value”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We just got back from a long week end trip to Monterey during the Easter and I got a great deal on this hotel by naming my price at priceline. I was naturally thrilled because I know how nice this chain is but then after reading all the reviews, I was very scared especially the reviews that involved cleanliness and outdated furniture. I tried to cancel the deal with priceline but it didnt work so I called the hotel to inquire. I was very upset and the Front Desk Manager Jamie was very nice and reassured me that the hotel is up the Regency Hyatt Standards. I calmed down and convinced myself that it cant be bad, thinking that the hotel will be empty due to the bad reviews...boys was I wrong, it was full! the place is huge and it is spread over 22 acres. the lobby is wonderful were they were serving lemonade. check in was easy and we drove to our room..the suspense is high, my stomach is sick..and we go inside the room...to my surprise a modern large room with a very nicely renovated bathroom. complementary bottles of water on the desk, a coffee maker in one of the drawers and a fridge (very essential when you have a toddler and need to store the milk. the room is overlooking the parking lot but is is not a big deal for us. the hotel is around 10 min away from the aquarium which is ok. my only wish is that they had slippers and bathrobes. It is a good deal after all. the rooms and lobby were just like the ones in the professional pictures. I dont know if all the hotel is renovated but I am sure happy that I landed in one.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank nkf00
HRVancouverGM, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel and Spa on Del Monte Golf Course, responded to this review, 14 April 2012
Dear nkf00,

When I arrived at this hotel I was also troubled by some of the comments I saw online. I believe some folks view our amenities and activities being spread out over 22 acres rather than consolidated in your typical vertical, high-rise hotel as a negative, when it is simply different. I am glad you found the uniqueness and resort-like feel of our property as a nice alternative from a traditional hotel.

Thank you for sharing your story and experience with us. I hope we have the opportunity to see you again when you need a quick escape from San Jose.

All the best,

Steve

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (600)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
The Villages, Florida
Reviewed 8 April 2012

When we first pulled up to this hotel (we were part of a tour group, so we did not have any say-so in selecting this hotel), we were not sure what to expect. The hotel is comprised of several older buildings (think flat roofs from the 1970’s era). Several buildings do not have elevators, so guests with difficulty climbing stairs should definitely know this up front when checking in.

As we entered the hotel, we were instantly captivated by the large fireplace and friendly vibe that was evident everywhere you looked. It was about 6:30 PM when we checked in, and there were lots and lots of hotel guests enjoying the lobby bar and restaurants. Definitely a festive atmosphere!

We had a standard room with 2 double beds. There was a sliding glass door that lead to a small patio. Unfortunately, our view was of the parking lot, but it was still nice to open the door and get some fresh air.

The beds/linens were very nice and the décor of the room was very contemporary with clean lines, good lighting and LOTS of TV channels to select from. This seems to be a trend with hotels and their TV’s and it’s one I am most pleased with! It is GREAT to have 30+ TV channels to select from.

We enjoyed breakfast at the hotel restaurant and WOW! What a wonderful experience! We arrived at 6 AM when they opened and were greeted with big smiles from all of the staff and given a great table, right by the window, overlooking the golf course.

The food was so beautifully presented that you almost didn’t want to touch it! We persevered however, and dug right in! I had an omelet freshly prepared and it was delicious! My husband enjoyed lox and bagels and gave them high marks! The service was stellar and even though the gratuity was included with our group’s breakfast, we were treated so nicely, that we left an extra tip, just to say thanks to our kind waiter.

If you are a golfer, you will love the location of this property. Monterey is not a huge city, so location is not a big factor. You are just a few blocks away from Monterey’s Fisherman’s Wharf, so catching a whale watching tour, grabbing a bite to eat, or hitting the shops along the wharf, will be about a 15 minute walk.

Staff is super friendly and will go out of their way to be helpful. Even though we were with a large tour group, we were always treated very nicely and greeted with big smiles.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a patio, overlooking the golf course (not the parking lot!).
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Angiet2
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Stayed at this property on March 29 for one night. This seemed more like a motel with some resort amenities. Many rooms are right next to Hwy 1. Speaking with the staff, I understand that the original construction/structure is quite old (although remodeled). So, at its core, the walls are thin, you enter rooms from the outside (all of the rooms I saw) and many rooms are right next to Hwy 1, so you hear the traffic almost as if you were standing next to the highway. I thought my room door had been left open, but it wasn't. I could also clearly hear conversations and children crying in the rooms adjacent to mine. Also, beware that this property tacks on a daily "resort" fee. There may be some nice amenities at this place, but it's a stretch to call it a resort simply by the noise level of the rooms. The actual interior of my room was nice - bed was comfortable and the bathroom/shower were quite nice. Just far too noisy for my liking or for a property that holds itself out to be a resort. I did not partake in any of the amenities or dining. It is also not that close to downtown Monterey. It was about 1.4 miles to the heart of historic downtown Monterey (Alvarado St) where we were dining, so we elected to drive. There are not any restaurants or shops around this hotel property. I stayed at this property as a result of an online bid that was accepted, so the price at face value except for the resort fee appeared reasonable, but for the room noise/construction quality and having to drive to downtown, I could have booked something else for a much lower price. It was disappointing for a Hyatt property and further from downtown than I would have liked.

Room Tip: Stay as far away from Hwy 1 as possible. Inquire whether they have any hotel style rooms or newer c...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Monterey hotels

Reviewed 5 April 2012

As a frequent traveler I've stayed in many hotels and from past experience Hyatt is usually a dependable choice. I stayed at this property many years ago and we wanted to get away for a couple of days for a short break before Easter. Well, time changes everything as they say and not for the better

Stayed in Building 3.

The Pros:
1.Clean Rooms
2. Easy Location for visiting Monterey

The Cons:
1. Resort Fee of $20 (Not optional) - for what? The WiFi wouldn't stay connected in Building 3, Parking? The Pool? Who knows - its just a ripoff tax like hotels in Vegas do to try and disguise the real cost per night. Its time for Hyatt (and others) to have some honest pricing. The rate should include everything except local municipal taxes.
2. Waited over 20 mins in the Fireside Lounge to order drinks and food. Despite sitting right in clear view of the bar, the bartender seemed more interested in arranging bottles and the only server was not circulating to make sure new customers were being served and existing ones being looked after. Here's the kicker - it was Wednesday and there were only a handful of people in the bar or the restaurant, so it wasn't 'busy'. Eventually walked out without spending anything and complained to the manager. Drinks are not cheap at this bar, so do the math: Two people, at least a couple of drinks each, light dinner - over a $100 easily - spent this elsewhere. The losers: Hyatt and the server (for tips).
4. There is no air conditioning in this hotel despite there being some kind of thermostat on the wall. There is only a ceiling fan. Open the window, I hear you say. And let the night time bugs fly in the room? It was impossible to get the room cool enough to sleep.
5. In the room is a refrigerator which had such a noisy compressor that it definitely contrbuted to the 'keep you awake plan' of Hyatt.
6. The bed and pillows were one of the most uncomfortable I've slept on and coupled with the temperature and fridge, it was impossible to sleep. As a result at 4am this morning, we checked out. The front desk 'waived' the resort fee and did offer a complimentary breakfast buffet, but we had no desire to stay for this and left. One last thing, the night duty person who checked us out simply asked if we had brought these issues to their attention; Yes we did, and she didn't exactly have a friendly manner that I would expect of a true 'inn keeper'.

The planned relaxing couple of days have turned into anything but this. I don't know if this is an owned or franchise Hyatt property; either way, it needs a major focus on customer service and my recommendation is to find alternatives if you stay in Monterey.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 2 April 2012

If you only are staying one night sure you can book this hotel though just driving around after we had checked in we saw lots of other locations that would have been better.

If you are a golfer then this is a good place.

Hot tub hours not long enough. One closes at 9pm one at 10pm, not convienent for people on vacation!

4 pieces of glass found in the bathroom, they were not all found at once. Thankfully neither of us got cut.

After bidding for our room on line reception informed us that we had an additional charge for the resort fee. That was news to us! So upon check out we spoke to Karen the concierge about the glass and we asked to have the resort fee waved, which was done.

Final say, okay for a golfer but there are many more choices and some with excellent views.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 1 April 2012

We checked in and found ourselves punished even though my husband is is Hyatt Platium
member because we booked through a 3rd party. The hotel we could tell was an older
property, that was updated.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dolleen W
PANAMA
Reviewed 30 March 2012

One of the best places to relax and play golf in California.
Well ubicated and service.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family