“Great Business Venue”

GreenLeadersGold level
Fresno, CA
“Great Business Venue”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

Visited for a business event on premises. First time to the facility and was favorably impressed. Location is downtown - not waterfront, but well situated, within walking distance of several restaurants, lounges, etc and the water.

My room was well appointed, and one of the most comfortable mattresses I've had in a hotel. Had an issue with the remote controlled fan in the room, and it was fixed immediately. My room backed up to an outdoor public area and I had a lot more noise and commotion at night than I expected. Not necessarily unpleasant, just wasn't expected.

The parking garage is right next to the hotel, and there's a small sign. If you miss it, simply turn into the hotel drive, and after checking in, make the loop around a couple of blocks. (watch the one way streets). The traffic is controlled by lights, so that's not an issue. Didn't find it so much of an inconvenience as simply getting to know the layout. Coastal towns are always a bit funky.

The bathroom could have been cleaner, but overall I could not complain.

Will definitely look at this for a weekend get away, and hope the business event is here next year!

Room Tip: I stayed in a 200 block room -- gets some walkway noise and no elevator service. I suspect the towe...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (548)
  • Turkish first
Cranbrook, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

Saw the portola on travelzoo and it was a good deal and worked in perfectly with our travel plans so booked it. A little tricky to find. Be prepared to park in a parkade cause you are driving up the street and there is no apparent hotel signage and boom! there is a sign leading you into a parkade on the right hand side of street for parking at this hotel. Was an awesome location right beside marina and boardwalk. The desk clerk recommended a few restaurants on the boardwalk for supper where you can indulge because everything is within walking distance. Yeah being prairie dwellers being this close to the ocean with pelicans and sea lions was pretty awesome. Wish we could have spent a few more days exploring. The room was relaxing with excellent reading material on the area and what it has to offer. Bed and linens were scrumptious. Complimentary breakfast was very good, not fast but good. We will be back.

Room Tip: If you like golf make sure to take time to check out pebble beach.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rolyholmes
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

This review is long over due but I figured that I should share my feedback. My husband and I stayed here in October 2010 (I chose May 2011 since it was the farthest back date I could pick) for a quick overnight get away. The overall service was average -- not great, but not bad. The overall hotel is nicely maintained and in a great location! The room was clean and the view from our room was good. We had our dog with us, and happy to say that this hotel is dog-friendly! Our only complaint is that since the hotel does sit next to a main walkway, it was a bit noisy. There must have been a large banquet or party going on the night we were there as music was blaring and you could definitely hear people partying. It wasn't horrible, but definitely noticeable. If you're concerned with having a quiet stay, you will want to ask the hotel if there are any events being hosted when you're there. Other than that, I'd say that this was a nice place to stay. I think that the price point was maybe a bit higher than it should've been; however, the location made it worth it.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Dixon, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

My spouse and I stayed there for an education conference a few years back. Had a great experience then and really enjoyed our stay for a second time. Very open lobby area with easy access to the gym and pool facilities. Restaurants and bars are warm and enjoyable. The staff throughout the hotel were friendly and cooperative at every level. Spa choices were plentiful and reasonably priced. Dog friendly, but we did not bring our dog. Location is superb! Two minute walk to old Fisheman's Wharf, very good clam chowder and history. Easy twenty minute walk along a very beautiful walking/biking trail to Cannery Row and the best aquarium on the West Coast. Easy walk to more downtown shopping and a nice large beach area. Room was very nice and we were able to really relax for a few days.

Room Tip: Spend a little more for a larger room with a balcony.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
el cerrito
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

From the time we arrived until leaving, each and every hotel staff were inconspicuous, extremely friendly, and always helpful. We attended to support a high school event and left feeling we had a relaxing getaway from home. The local area had many nice shops and small or longer walking paths. The rooms were comfortable, especially the bedding and I have a problem back.
Worth every penny that we spent. Parking was easy.

1 Thank jamarab
las vegas, nv
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

I stayed three days at the Portola, hotel is very nice, clean, outstading service, very good breakfast, my only problem was the room when i was about to sleep, the only thing that you hear is toilets being flushed, toilets from the rooms around your room; this was the major problem for me. the bathroom was ok, the sink looks old, but it was clean. COncierge lady was nice and gave us a coupon for complimentary appetizzer for Domenico's restaurant.

1 Thank 2girlsandmom
San Francisco
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Based on a horrible experience over 10 years ago, we haven't been back. The problem back then was noise. My husband, daughter and I got no sleep whatsoever. Our room was near a loud party that did not end. The property was a DoubleTree at the time and I contacted Hilton Honors about the non response we received from hotel management.

But it is a new year and the hotel has a new name. They still give out wonderful cookies at check in. The lobby is beautiful, the location can't be beat. Very close to Fisherman's Wharf and downtown Monterey. Nice brisk walk to Cannery Row. Family and dog friendly. Still cannot sleep here.

It was a Saturday night. I understand people stay out late and return to their rooms. It should not sound as if they are in fact in your room, when they are in the hall. Outside the room you can hear people yelling and screaming. A little bit of insulation or double paned windows maybe? They also allow dogs and when I finally got a couple of hours sleep, it was the dogs barking and the screaming baby next door that woke me up. Perhaps the dogs woke the baby up.

If you look at the rack rates at this place, you deserve better. I was lulled by a sale price that was impressive, but our experience was so bad, this reduced rate was overpriced. Next time it will be the Spindrift or the Clement. You get value for your money at both of those places. Never again.

Room Tip: Stay at the Clement or the Spindrift.
1 Thank SFJeweler