“Great base camp”

Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay
Ranked #16 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 15 November 2010

Portola Hotel has some of the most comfortable beds of any hotel I've stayed at. Soft but not squishy, and great pillows! My room had a partial view of the marina, I could hear the sea lions barking. I didn't fint them too loud, after a bit I hardly noticed them.
The staff are all friendly and helpful, the cookie at check-in was a bonus.

I wasn't too impressed with Peter B's - rubbery calamari, so-so wine. OK, so who orders wine at a brew pub...my bad. I ordered the Little Bites, one of each. The pulled pork was great, crab cake OK, hamburger was bone dry. Next time I'd stick with the pulled pork and beer.

I didn't eat at Jacks, but I did get a glass of wine in the bar. It was nice being able to take it out to the lobby area, sit in a comfy chair, and people watch.

Per day valet parking was less than I pay in San Francisco, so I thought I was getting a deal. The daily charge for internet service is just dumb, I don't think hotels should charge for it at all.

Portola Hotel gets extra bonus points for being a dog friendly hotel.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,578)

Reviewed 14 November 2010

This was my second stay at the Portola and it was even better than the last. From warm cookies upon arrival to the plush bedding and good night sleep, it was a very pleasurable stay. I also appreciated the kind and accommodating staff, as well as the amenities including Jacks restaurant (great buffet breakfast) and the fitness center (best ever). The location is right in the heart of town which makes it within walking distance of the Warf and downtown eateries and attractions. I highly recommend the Portola when choosing your stay in the great city of Monterey!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 November 2010

From being greeted with warm chocolate chip cookies to being able to walk to wonderful restaurants, historic sites, scenic trails, etc. the Portola Hotel and Spa has become our favorite place to stay when visiting the Monterey Peninsula. For the past 25 years that our family has been visiting Monterey we all agree that we love the Portola Hotel & Spa the best because of its location, clean and reasonably priced rooms, and pleasant hotel staff. Any time of the year to visit is great but the week between Christmas and New Year's Day is our favorite. Where else can you enjoy the sights of Monterey Bay, eat great food, and ice skate without getting in your car? Sheer bliss.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 November 2010

I stayed at Portola for 3 nights on a business trip. The atmosphere, rooms, service and management were all great. My room was not ready upon check-in so I received an upgraded room. This hotel is located at the base of the Wharf and next to shops and other entertainment with door men to ensure you never have to open a door. I could not have been more pleased. It is not often that you check in to a totally clean and liveable room with everything you need to make your stay a pleasure. One outstanding quality is the ability to hear the seals from my room. I would highly recommend the Portola Hotel and Spa experience.

Reviewed 3 November 2010

Spent 4 nights at the Portola Hotel for a company Sales Meeting. Journey from San Francisco took over 2 hours (Friday afternoon rush hour), but once we got there, we were efficiently checked-in. The room I was allocated was large with 2 double (v. comfortable) beds and a small balcony overlooking the hotel's micro-brewery pub outside seating area. There was a tree in front of my balcony which gave me privacy, but spoilt the view.

The best things about the hotel were the friendliness of all staff, nice rooms and public areas, high quality without being pretentious, with more character than some top chain hotels. The breakfast buffet was amazing with the best omelettes I've ever tasted being prepared to order in front of you by one of the chef. There was fresh fruit, cereals, cold meats, cheeses, smoked salmon, mini bagels, scones, hot sausages/bacon/eggs/potatoes, fruit juices and then if that wasn't enough you could order waffles or pancakes. Did not eat in Jack's restaurant for lunch or dinner, but all the food prepared for our group was of good standard.

Would definitely like to return for a holiday sometime...maybe not in October as we had 2 days of rain. There were some rooms with private patios which looked good. The hotel, although not on te sea-front, is well positioned opposite Fishermans Wharf and about 20-30 mins walk from the Aquarium and Cannery Row. There was also a craft market set up just outside the hotel on some days.

1  Thank moomingirl
Reviewed 1 November 2010

Take the 17 mile bus tour, (picked up @ the hotel) it was fun and the scenery was magnifient.
Walk to the wharf and visit the sea lions...they are a bit chatty, then enjoy some clam chowder.
Enjoy a yummy chocolate chip cookie baked at the Portola while basking in the sun. If you can, sit in your bright, cheery room with the shutters open and enjoy the natural light while reading a bit.
Visit the Cannery Row and the Monterey BayAquarium. The Spanish style architecture around Monterey is simply beautiful.

Reviewed 1 November 2010

Stayed here for three nights for a family reunion. Our party included my 70-something parents, my four siblings and their spouses/partners, and five children under six years of age, including a six-month-old. That's the ultimate challenge for a hotel -- to make every member of such a party feel welcome and ensure there are enough things to do to satisfy everyone. The Portola succeeded!

I have to admit I was a little disappointed at first because it's an older hotel showing signs of wear, especially in the bathroom and hallways. Some reviewers called it charming, but it felt more like a mid-priced chain hotel to me. Parking is expensive, and the only free wi-fi is in the hotel lobby. There was a conference going on, and part of the lobby was given over to that group during lunch one day.

Where this hotel really shines is its service. From the somewhat chaotic check-in (chaotic because there were so many of us, some of whom had checked in earlier, and several of us had the same last name . . . and I asked that all the rooms be put on my account!) to the family dinner in the private room at Jacks (with four small children running around) the staff were patient, polite, and very very helpful. Seriously -- you would have had to try very hard to fluster the staff. They made our reunion as fun and stress-free as it could have been.

The other really outstanding bit was the bed. Sooo comfortable.

The hotel is within very easy walking distance of Fishermans' Wharf, where we had good breakfasts at Crab Louie. Sit by the window and watch the sea lions and pelicans. Several other good restaurants on the wharf if you'd rather not walk/drive to Cannery Row, which is about a 20-25 minute walk along the coastline. That's also where the Aquarium is located.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family