New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #2 of 11 Monterey B&B and Inns
Bay Point, California
“My wife's Birthday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

Old Monterey Inn delivered with a huge punch!! We were spoiled the minute we walked in. Every encounter with the staff and proprietors was super positive. True to their word they upgraded us to an available cottage that had not been booked, awsome. They provided turn down service nightly, coffee service in the morning with the newspaper followed by a gourmet breakfast to die for!! I picked up the phone a couple of times to request additional firewood ( man was that fire nice ) and it was there within 5 minutes ( thank you Lawrence ). Katy made sure that the flowers I had delivered to the Inn were waiting in our room when my wife and I arrived. Unfortunatley, we can't remember all the names ( the innkeeper's on duty Natalie and Ashley were sweetheart's and were nothing but helpful to us, thank you!! ) and all the staff that brought our coffee and breakfast, turned down our bed, etc. ( even had nice tunes playing for us ). You were all a great team, we would highly recommend the Old Monterey Inn to our friends and family. Thank you all very much!!! Chris and Sue.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Auburn, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

My husband and I stayed there this past week. It was so beautiful and charming I felt like I was in a fairytale. The owners gave us a private tour so I can truly say every room is gorgeous! They all had their own fireplace and bathroom(beautiful tubs) modern amenities and a view of the gardens from almost every window. Every detail is thought of to bring warmth and comfort. I loved being able to get a massage on the grounds just outside the gardens..Every night was port and cheese by the fire and breakfast was five star; apple and peach cobbler followed by homemade cornbread with all the fixins and then soufflé. Amazing! Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Either the separate cottage or the upper rooms for the amazing views
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

Our thanks to the owners and staff for making our stay at the 'Old Monterey Inn' perfect. Each day began with a different gourmet breakfast presentation in the beautiful dining room in front of blazing fire in the magnificent fireplace. The grounds are spetacular, quiet and peaceful with romantic fountains and sitting areas nestled among the trees and foilage. This was our second trip to the 'Inn'. On our first trip we stayed in the 'Library' full of old world charm. This trip we stayed in the 'Cottage' with its wonderful whirlpool tub. All the rooms have cozy fireplaces just waiting to be lit. Monterey is one of the most beautiful places on earth and a stay at this Inn makes it magical. Late afternoons found us in the great room for wine and snacks, again in front of yet another warm inviting fireplace. We can't wait to plan our next trip!!

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view of the wonderful grounds, maybe one with a balcony or outside sitting area...
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2011

I had such a wonderful time here. It's absolutely beautiful and the owners are incredibly nice and warm. Really cozy rooms. Big crackling fire in the main room. I really enjoyed the wine and cheese in the evening too! Breakfast was very impressive. They also have the most beautiful gardens I've ever seen. A wonderful place to sit and relax. I can't wait to go back!

Canada, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2011

My husband and I stayed here in October for one night. One of the things I really like was the availability of snacks at all times of day. The early evening wine and cheese tasting had all sorts of snacks besides cheese and crackers. There was a bruschetta topping, an artichoke dip, olives, and raw vegetables. The guests seemed to feel comfortable mingling in the front living room. In that room, there was a restaurant menu book for guests to peruse, as well as coffee table travel books, a piano, a kaliedoscope, and a few gift items available for purchase. You could also purchase the wine they served in the evening to take with you.
There was a side room with tea and coffee and little cookies and butterscotch squares, and another room with cold drinks in it, like cranberry juice, pineapple juice, iced tea, and various sodas. These two rooms were available 24 hours. Also, when we got home from dinner, there were some raspberry truffles inside the front door of the main house.
The inn has various sections, the main house and then some other back buildings out the back door and through the lovely garden. We stayed in the Chawton room, which was out the back, and you feel like you have no neighbours. The picture you see on the website is really the size of the full room, except there is an upholstered bench on the right. The bathroom is quite large, as is the whirlpool tub. One problem with that room is that the cold water tap in the sink turns opposite to most washrooms, and is very difficult to turn. Perhaps they will get that fixed. One other thing I should mention is that the owner seems to like scents, and the room comes with a scented aerosol can that you can purchase. I don't usually like scented rooms, but this scent didn't bother me. The soap for the whirlpool was too strong for my nose (but I travel with my own soaps, because I am so sensitive). The last thing I will say about the room is that the mattress seems to slope down on both sides. For one person sleeping in the center of the bed, it would be comfortable, but for two people, you both feel a little like you might fall out. (Solution - Cuddle closer!)
The breakfast was a fruit and yogurt parfait, followed by a baked deep french toast, with a cream cheese layer and the sweet syrup baked on top. A couple of the guests thought that the entree was too rich, and they were offered eggs and toast instead. The hostess was accommodating to my allergies and preferences, which I appreciated very much.
There is enough parking for all the guests, some at the front and some at the back. When we checked out, we were given a little snack for the road with our receipt. A+ for food service! Overall, a nice place, and we might go back if we are in the area again, but I might try a different room.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Traveller2702
IIInkeeper, Owner at Old Monterey Inn, responded to this review, 15 November 2011
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us at the Old Monterey Inn. We always appreciate comments and suggestions from our guests. I checked the faucet in Chawton, and sure enough it was not operating as easily as it should; we have replaced the faucet. Thank you for the opportunity to make the OMI even better. We look forward to your next visit.
Camarillo, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2011

It was a vacation, 50th birthday, get out of town trip. Destination unknown! But I knew we had to see and stay at the Old Monterey Inn during our road trip. It was the only thing that we had made reservations for. What can you say, Beautiful grounds, Amazing breakfast. And the rooms, Wow! Romantic, great location. Close to Cannary Row. Extremely clean and staff was very friendly. I was there and was able to met the owners, Katie and Lawrence niceeeeeeeee people. And in the main living room during evenings over wine and cheese (yummy). Met interesting guests from someone from as far as Japan to as local as San fransisco. I "will" be back to stay at the inn and Highly recommend to anyone who considers a night stay in Monterey. Check their website will give you an idea of this properies beautiful grounds.

Room Tip: The cottage has it's own entrance and small patio.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

My husband and I just celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary at the OMI. I already can't wait to go back and know that when we do make the trip across the country back to the Monterey Penninsula there is no where else I want to stay. Katie and Lawrence are relatively new proprietors having purchased the Inn several months ago but i was incredibly impressed with their attention to detail, knowledge of the city, attractions, and restaurants. All three of their dinner recommendations were incredible and it was so easy getting around with their directions cards for everywhere we wanted to go.
We easily walked to Fisherman's Wharf (>15 mins) and around the bay as well as walked to dinner one night. The location was great- convenient to the 101 but right in the middle of a charming historic (and quiet) neighborhood.
I rarely leave comments on TA but I had to after our time at the Old Monterey Inn. Enjoy!!

Room Tip: We were in the Ashford Suite and it was wonderful. There is an attached sitting room with a wood-bu...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple